Bike Cops

"Al User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PART 15—ADDITIONAL RULES FOR BICYCLE RIDERS Rule 258. Equipment on a bicycle A person must not
> ride a bicycle that does not have—
> (a) at least 1 effective brake; and
> (b) *a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.*

"Similar". Is that similar in design or similar in function? Because I can make a pretty big racket
with some things called "vocal chords". Guess they are not fitted to the bike though :-(

hippy
- you'll not see me with a bell or a horn on my bike!

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:1_7b.1946
> * At least one working brake (by AS: hippy, take note re track
bike!)

hehe doh! :) I'll stick to the track for now I think.

> I don't see why the 50m reflector is required if there's a 200m light. Nobody's going to see my
> rear reflector before my rear light (the mega-bright Cateye type, which should come with an OH&S
> warning)

Yeah, that sounds a bit strange. Do reflectors have some special property that I don't know about?

Which Cateye are you referring to? I've got a nice little collection of lights at home but I want to
swap the X-Light(?) (single, white, flashing LED, keychain thang - also red) with something a bit
bigger - without going to home-made SLA.

Any recommended LED-based lights? Just for driver visibility.. I don't need to see where
I'm going :)

hippy
- topic hijacker extraordinaire

> "Al User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > PART 15-ADDITIONAL RULES FOR BICYCLE RIDERS Rule 258. Equipment on a bicycle A person must not
> > ride a bicycle that does not have-
> > (a) at least 1 effective brake; and
> > (b) *a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.*
>
> "Similar". Is that similar in design or similar in function? Because I can make a pretty big
> racket with some things called "vocal chords". Guess they are not fitted to the bike though :-(

Well, my **** is pretty much fitted to the bike and I can......

Uh, no, I won't continue!

> hippy
> - you'll not see me with a bell or a horn on my bike!

Cheers,

Tim

hippy wrote:
> "Al User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>PART 15—ADDITIONAL RULES FOR BICYCLE RIDERS Rule 258. Equipment on a bicycle A person must not
>>ride a bicycle that does not have—
>>(a) at least 1 effective brake; and
>>(b) *a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.*
>

> "Similar". Is that similar in design or similar in function? Because I can make a pretty big
> racket with some things called "vocal chords". Guess they are not fitted to the bike though :-(
>
> hippy
> - you'll not see me with a bell or a horn on my bike!

I think the "similar" (as a lot of things) will depend on the mood of the copper doing the booking
or the beak if you defend it ;-)

I've never actually bought a bike with a bell as the LBS always "forgets". So I used to rely on
"clattering" my brake levers (I don't ride at speed on bike paths) then I got the Air Zound :-D

Al.

Its funny how we bag the Bike Cops, but I wouldn't mind getting paid $50K a year to ride my bike lol :D :D :D :D

carma1 wrote:

> Its funny how we bag the Bike Cops, but I wouldn't mind getting paid $50K a year to ride my bike
> lol :D :D :D :D

It may just be my interpretation of posts in this newsgroup, but it seems to me the baggers are a
very small minority!

- LB

Andrew Swan wrote:

> How could he book you for riding the wrong way on a one-way street AND riding on the footpath?
> Surely it *doesn't matter* which way you're going if you're on the footpath? Unless the footpath
> was one-way as well?
>
> Anyway, did the fine change your behaviour (just interested)?

I rode about 10m the wrong way up O'Connell St (in Sydney CBD), the another 10m up the footpath
(road was blocked with a truck/oncoming cars) before I stopped.

Did the fine change my behaviour? Yes - I started to keep a better eye out for cops + plus I had to
ride harder to make more money to cover the fines!

- LB

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:30:41 +1000, Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote:

>It may just be my interpretation of posts in this newsgroup, but it seems to me the baggers are a
>very small minority!

and nothing to what the motorbike cops get for their mandated inapproprate clothing. Why are the
police exempt from basic OH&S?

AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am

"Andre S." wrote:

...snip....

> and nothing to what the motorbike cops get for their mandated inapproprate clothing. Why are the
> police exempt from basic OH&S?

You might like to confirm this with someone in the field, but the "story" was the latest OH&S
Inspectors/officer mag had a story about a OH&S inspector getting a speeding ticket from a
motorcycle cop and in return recieving a ticket for not wearing his safety vest.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

hippy wrote:
> Which Cateye are you referring to? I've got a nice little collection of lights at home but I want
> to swap the X-Light(?) (single, white, flashing LED, keychain thang - also red) with something a
> bit bigger - without going to home-made SLA.
>
> Any recommended LED-based lights? Just for driver visibility.. I don't need to see where I'm
> going :)
>
> hippy
> - topic hijacker extraordinaire

The Cateye TL-LD600 taillight, it has 5 LEDs, cost $50, can't remember how many mCd. Can be mounted
vertically (i.e. in line with seat post, same width) or horizontally. Spare bracket was $12. Ah,
finally found it here (Cateye's "Taillights" link doesn't work):

http://www.cateye.com/detail.php?products_id=73

&roo