Bike covers

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
I was looking (online) for a bike cover that was reasonably waterproof, lightweight and wouldn't fly off when the bikes on the truck/car mount.

Not easy to find. Anybody got any pointers.

And... not another poll.... how many of you use a cover for your bike.

Dominic Sansom said:
I was looking (online) for a bike cover that was reasonably waterproof, lightweight and wouldn't fly off when the bikes on the truck/car mount.
Am I reading that right? You're looking for a cover that is suitable for use driving down the road with the bike on the rack? I'm not aware of any that could handle that! And why would you want a covered bike on a trunk rack, sitting sideways to the airflow?

blazingpedals said:
Am I reading that right? You're looking for a cover that is suitable for use driving down the road with the bike on the rack? I'm not aware of any that could handle that! And why would you want a covered bike on a trunk rack, sitting sideways to the airflow?

I have seen a bike cover that enclosed (a drawstring thingy) the whole bike with forks uncovered attached to a Yakima blockhead. It waved and flapped a bit (the one I saw was on the back of a truck) but it seemd to do the job. The reason for asking is I'm producing designs for just that 'cos I can't find any to buy. Just wondering if there's a market for this type of thing.

I met a Tri guy at a gas station in NC. He had his bike mounted on a Yakima rack (fork mount) and in a full bike cover. It fit much more snug and custom than what was linked above. Had some zippers down the sides or something because the bike was fully enclosed, protected underneath and fairly taut. I asked him what the brand was and he gave me a flier - which I have lost lol - it was some bike shop's custom made covers. They had about a dozen styles and I have never found them since.

Would be pretty cool, especially for bad weather. I use simply a front end bra for short distances, but for long trips on the highway I'd think about using a full if I could get a decent one.