Bike Crash-Hip Injury

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Jfranczyk, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Jfranczyk

    Jfranczyk Guest

    I prematurely terminated my season last month by sliding through gravel and slamming my right hip
    into the pavement. At least I protected the bike by keeping my body between the bike and the road.
    The X-Rays showed no breaks, but I appear to have a "hip pointer", which is healing, although much
    too slowly for my tastes.

    I'm doing stretching and strengthening exercises, per a PT's recommendations. Does anyone have any
    other suggestions for loosening the hip joint? I feel like an old man every morning until the
    Advil's kick in.

    Thanks!

    John A. Franczyk/Park Ridge.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (JFranczyk) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I prematurely terminated my season last month by sliding through gravel and slamming my right hip
    > into the pavement. At least I protected the bike by keeping my body between the bike and the road.
    > The X-Rays showed no breaks, but I appear to have a "hip pointer", which is healing, although much
    > too slowly for my tastes.
    >
    > I'm doing stretching and strengthening exercises, per a PT's recommendations. Does anyone have any
    > other suggestions for loosening the hip joint? I feel like an old man every morning until the
    > Advil's kick in.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John A. Franczyk/Park Ridge.

    What's a hip pointer? A chip in the pelvis?

  3. Don Vescio

    Don Vescio Guest

    On June 10, I was struck by a car (actually the car managed to hit me twice) and dislocated my left
    hip and left shoulder; unfortunately, the dislocations caused a break in the ball of the femur and
    this hip socket, along with a break in the shoulder socket. My PT, conditional on final clearance
    from my orthopedist next week, suggested that I ride indoors and pedal with my right (non-injured)
    leg and let the left leg go along for the ride. The PT suggested that this will help with healing
    and flexibility, though range of motion will be somewhat limited due to the nature of cycling.

    This Friday I'm meeting with an exercise physiologist, who may provide additional information.

    Mind you, the above is specific to my situation, so act accordingly.

    Don

    "JFranczyk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I prematurely terminated my season last month by sliding through gravel
    and
    > slamming my right hip into the pavement. At least I protected the bike by keeping my body between
    > the bike and the road. The X-Rays showed no
    breaks,
    > but I appear to have a "hip pointer", which is healing, although much too slowly for my tastes.
    >
    > I'm doing stretching and strengthening exercises, per a PT's
    recommendations.
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions for loosening the hip joint? I
    feel
    > like an old man every morning until the Advil's kick in.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John A. Franczyk/Park Ridge.

  4. su22

    su22 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    John your injury really sounds frustrating. im on the tail end of a running overuse hip injury which wasn't quite a stress fracture... at the time i couldnt afford a nuclear medicine bone scan so the doctors are guessing it's a soft-tissue thing.

    i just read the book "Going Long: training for Ironman distance triathlons" by Joe Friel for general tri advice. at the back of the book in the appendix there's a bunch of exercises which aim to increase your range of motion. off the top of my head, here are some things you can do:
    (diagrams in book help)

    Lie down...
    1) bend and bring L knee to chest, hold and release. Repeat 10x. Then do R leg
    2) place L ankle on R knee, to make legs look like figure '4' if viewed from above. book called this a 'half-lotus position' (??). push left knee to floor to feel stretch on inside of thigh. 10x. Switch legs
    3) in position (1), make circles with knee, of varying size and both directions. move it along outer range of hip movement. i find that placing a belt/band around my thigh close to my knee and pulling the belt is more effective at manipulating my leg.
    4) hamstring stretching-- lying down, straighten 1 leg in the air, place belt around ball of foot and pull belt so straight leg in air 'bounces' lightly forward twd head. repeat 20x
    5) glute stretch. bend R knee to ceiling, place R foot on floor. place L ankle on R thigh, with L knee pointing twds your Left. using hands, pull under R thigh to stretch L glute in this lever sort of action.

    done 3x a week, you should see improvement in 6-8weeks.
    my range of movement is pretty good anyway, but i still do this because it has helped with flexibility. with weak hips im doing a bunch of stupid exercises every day and it takes so long for the body to develop strength!!!!! good luck with the injury... they totally suck, but you'll come back a stronger person when you're recovered.

    Su (melbourne)