BIKE CRASH

Gooty

Guest
Hi all

Just wanted to make sure all you night riders are packing good lights ,

I had a major incident off road last night, hit a furrow edge of a field ,
over the bars , landed on big frozen lump of mud, thought broken back , cant
walk now .

SO moral of the story slow down more than you think you need to at night ,
ride in groups, and carry a phone

Take care

On 15/12/04 8:22 pm, in article [email protected],
"Gooty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Just wanted to make sure all you night riders are packing good lights ,
>
> I had a major incident off road last night, hit a furrow edge of a field ,
> over the bars , landed on big frozen lump of mud, thought broken back , cant
> walk now .
>
> SO moral of the story slow down more than you think you need to at night ,
> ride in groups, and carry a phone

Looking where you are going is always a good thing.. Hope you are OK and
have been checked out by the medics..

As they say, experience is what we get just after we needed it.

...d

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:22:56 GMT someone who may be "Gooty"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>SO moral of the story slow down more than you think you need to at night ,
>ride in groups, and carry a phone

Many people need to ride at night. It is called getting to and from
work, the shops, the library and so on. Hopefully this does not
involve many of them in crashing into furrows in fields.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

"Gooty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> Just wanted to make sure all you night riders are packing good lights ,

I can heartily recommend the Cateye Daylight which I bought from
wiggle.co.uk around 6 months ago. It has twin beams (10watt each), one broad
and one spot, which can be used together or separately, and lasts a good
hour and a hlf to 2 hours on a full charge. It reflects off road signs etc
almost as well as car headlights.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Gooty wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just wanted to make sure all you night riders are packing good lights ,
>
> I had a major incident off road last night, hit a furrow edge of a field ,
> over the bars , landed on big frozen lump of mud, thought broken back , cant
> walk now .
>
> SO moral of the story slow down more than you think you need to at night ,
> ride in groups, and carry a phone
>
> Take care

I am afraid it isn't possible for me to ride in group on the way home
from work.

Gooty wrote:
> slow down more than you think you need to at night ,
> ride in groups, and carry a phone

Good advice but where I am the phones don't work when you're away from
the villages ...
All the best
Dan Gregory

Gooty <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

>Just wanted to make sure all you night riders are packing good lights ,

Yeah, but they're still not as good as daylight. The light comes from a
source fairly close to your head, so you see the lit side of everything,
no shadows, no contrast. So it's easy to miss something.

>I had a major incident off road last night, hit a furrow edge of a field ,
>over the bars , landed on big frozen lump of mud, thought broken back , cant
>walk now .

Bummer. Off-road and falls do go together though.
Has a doctor seen it? It sounds like a sick note job, so you'll need
to. It's a lot of waiting about, but they'll give you some pro-strength
painkillers.
Get a repeat prescription so there are spare painkillers for next time.

>SO moral of the story slow down more than you think you need to at night ,
>ride in groups, and carry a phone

Riding slower means more falls, and then you land on the phone and
squash it, but someone else in the group can call an ambulance - to the
wrong place, as they'll panic when asked for the location.
Nobody in the group will have anything effective to keep you warm, and
an injured person can't wriggle into lycra. So carry a couple of
binbags yourself - they're dead useful in emergencies.

--
Sue ];:))

What goes down must come up again - Confucius' Law of Mountain Biking

Sue White advised:
> Nobody in the group will have anything effective to keep you warm, and
> an injured person can't wriggle into lycra. So carry a couple of
> binbags yourself - they're dead useful in emergencies.

The small first aid kit that lives in my pannier includes a foil
blanket. There have been times when I've been really glad to have it,
just in case.

Come to think of it, I believe I *have* slept in binbags when touring.

Danny Colyer wrote:

> Come to think of it, I believe I *have* slept in binbags when touring.

And I spent a month sleeping in orange bivi bags in the Dolomites.

Interesting time, you learn a lot about what you do and don't need.

...d