Bike Design

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill Patterson, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Hillbiker

    Hillbiker Guest

    Thx -- nice start! You taught design?

    Ron

  3. Good looking website, Bill.

    I hope you'll be having some of your FWD information on there soon.

    Best wishes.

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

    Bill Patterson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have had many People ask about some of the bike designs in my class. Well, ok, I've had two
    > people ask me.
    >
    > I am learning to make web pages. Try this one. There are a few photos of bike and one of the first
    > Human Powered Helicopter.
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    > --
    > Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.
    >
    > See some Bikes At:
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    >
    > Reply to [email protected]

  4. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Bill,

    I was very impressed with your SWB tandem you were showing off at the Eureka IHPVA rally back in
    '94. Its there a reason you never marketed it?

    Regards,

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    "Bill Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have had many People ask about some of the bike designs in my class. Well, ok, I've had two
    > people ask me.
    >
    > I am learning to make web pages. Try this one. There are a few photos of bike and one of the first
    > Human Powered Helicopter.
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    > --
    > Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.
    >
    > See some Bikes At:
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    >
    > Reply to [email protected]

  5. Why I don't market. I'm not a industrial type.

    It would be great fun working as a consultant.

    We have the 2 wheel drive tandem in the garage. It has many nice qualities, but I don't think that
    it has any market value.

    I did stumble on a lot of other things that are worth developing. I am keeping quiet until I get
    something patented.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

    See some Bikes At:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    Reply to [email protected]

  6. Not much to say about Front Drive. They are a different breed of bike. You can ride all day without
    using your hands. In fact, I can get on the tandem and ride away, up hill, with my hands in the air.

    The only thing to remember when building one is to use twice as much trail as you would for a rear
    drive bike.

    I have a chapter on building a front drive without welds, in my book. I have photos of such a bike
    around somewhere. I can put it on the web site if you wish.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

    See some Bikes At:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    Reply to [email protected]

  7. Dick P.

    Dick P. Guest

  8. Hi, Bill, thanks for your reply.

    The concept of the FWD fascinates me and I built a protoype last year but _almost_ couldn't ride it.

    A couple of my friends tried it and rode it just as if it was their own bike.

    I got to thinking about it and realized that these two guys are excellent Unicycle riders, while I
    am the world's WORST Unicycle rider. So maybe it has more to do with equilibrium than meets the eye?

    Anyway, when I finish my current LWB project, I plan to have another try at the FWD.

    Kind regards.

    ****************************

    Bill Patterson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not much to say about Front Drive. They are a different breed of bike. You can ride all day
    > without using your hands. In fact, I can get on the tandem and ride away, up hill, with my hands
    > in the air.
    >
    > The only thing to remember when building one is to use twice as much trail as you would for a rear
    > drive bike.
    >
    > I have a chapter on building a front drive without welds, in my book. I have photos of such a bike
    > around somewhere. I can put it on the web site if you wish.
    > --
    > Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.
    >
    > See some Bikes At:
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    >
    > Reply to [email protected]

  9. Next time you build a front drive, try using more trail. Other ways to help are to use a steel rim
    on a 26 inch or larger wheel. That Moment of inertia of the wheel adds to the "control spring". The
    swap meet bike would have been better if I had turned the fork around backward.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

    See some Bikes At:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    Reply to [email protected]

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    hillbiker wrote:

    > Thx -- nice start! You taught design?
    >
    > Ron

    Although Prof. Patterson is retired, the web page from his class remains. <
    http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/ >.

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Bill Patterson wrote:

    > Not much to say about Front Drive. They are a different breed of bike. You can ride all day
    > without using your hands. In fact, I can get on the tandem and ride away, up hill, with my hands
    > in the air....

    I presume moving bottom-bracket front-wheel-drive, e.g. Flevobike, is being referred to here, not
    twist-chain front-wheel-drive, e.g. Zox20.

  12. That's true, sorry that I wasn't clear. My reference to front drive was moving bottom bracket bikes.

    The design class is scheduled for this Fall In San Luis Sbispo. Lets hope that it goes.