Bike Design

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Patterson, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. I have had many People ask about some of the bike designs in my class. Well, ok, I've had two
    people ask me.

    I am learning to make web pages. Try this one. There are a few photos of bikes and one of the first
    Human Powered Helicopter.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    I am retired, but I know that the plan is to teach the class again next fall.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

    See some Bikes At:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    Reply to [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. "We are not Dutch, so we like bikes to feel like bikes."

    Huh? I've gotten used to some xenophobia from across the Atlantic the last couple of months, but
    this one surprised me nonetheless.

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:

    > "We are not Dutch, so we like bikes to feel like bikes."
    >
    > Huh? I've gotten used to some xenophobia from across the Atlantic the last couple of months, but
    > this one surprised me nonetheless.

    Note the irony: the confusing comment above was referring to a recumbent tandem. How could Dutch
    bikes be stranger than an recumbent tandem?

    Confused in California.

  4. In message <[email protected]>, Bill Patterson <[email protected]> writes
    >I stand corrected. The web site has been changed.

    That's an absolutely great picture of the M5 on your site. What a machine!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. All Bicycles are wonderful. We have been riding tandems for 30 years and own 4 tandems now. We love
    the M5. I might tease Bram Moens, but this take apart, suspended bike is wonderful.

    We are plumb tickled with those European seats. They are great.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

    See some Bikes At:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    Reply to [email protected]

  6. Bill Patterson <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email protected]
    > I stand corrected. The web site has been changed.

    That is most kind. The true Dutch bike doesn't have suspension, so it really does feel
    like a bike...

  7. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "We are not Dutch, so we like bikes to feel like bikes."
    >
    > Huh? I've gotten used to some xenophobia from across the Atlantic the last couple of months, but
    > this one surprised me nonetheless.

    Well, I knew what he meant. The Dutch must be the undisputed world leaders of lateral thinking in
    cycle design, followed by the Germans.

    However, in both these places where there are wildly innovative human powered machines available,
    there are also much more traditional bikes than one can buy in e.g. the United States. As cyclists,
    we in the US could probably benefit from omafietsen, low racers, Flevotrikes, etc., but only the
    Dutch have proven willing to actually buy and ride all these machines in meaningful numbers.

    So while I knew what the OP meant, I must observe that my own feeling about Dutch bike culture is
    far more like admiration than it is like xenophobia.

    Chalo Colina

    weird bikes are not the only thing I like about the Netherlands

  8. I love the Flevo. In fact, if you look down at my WYMS tandem, you will see that it uses a Flevo
    front drive.

    I do lust for a single suspended Flevo.