Bike Exchange - Help Please!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Saint, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Saint

    Saint Guest

    Hi All

    I bought a very nice flat bar road bike on Friday last week from a shop in Liverpool (no names
    mentioned!)

    The bike is technically fine but I made the schoolboy error of not thinking it through properly
    before I bought, whereas the one I should have bought was looking at me wistfully in the shop! The
    only problem is that it's fitted with the 'twist grip' shifters whereas I am used to the rapid fire
    type ones. To date I have literally only ridden it the length of the street I live in and realised
    that I hate them.

    Question is - what is the usual policy from shops as for return/exchange? I'm more than happy to go
    in with a pointy hat displaying a big 'D' and pay the extra to buy the one I should have - if they
    will let me of course.

    I'm conscious that it will depend very much upon the individual shops but wondered if anyone could
    give me a view .

    Cheers,

    Saint

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Saint wrote:
    > Question is - what is the usual policy from shops as for return/exchange?

    Most decent shops would be willing to exchange if you had bought the wrong size (and hardly used the
    bike) - so should be same thing with "wrong" components.

    ~PB

  3. Saint

    Saint Guest

    > Saint wrote:
    > > Question is - what is the usual policy from shops as for return/exchange?
    >
    > Most decent shops would be willing to exchange if you had bought the wrong size (and hardly used
    > the bike) - so should be same thing with "wrong" components.
    >
    > ~PB

    Cheers Pete - that's put my mind at rest. Bike is as new so they shouldn't have any problems at all
    re-selling it.

    Saint

  4. "Saint" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Saint wrote:
    > > > Question is - what is the usual policy from shops as for return/exchange?
    > >
    > > Most decent shops would be willing to exchange if you had bought the
    wrong
    > > size (and hardly used the bike) - so should be same thing with "wrong" components.
    > >
    > > ~PB
    >
    > Cheers Pete - that's put my mind at rest. Bike is as new so they
    shouldn't
    > have any problems at all re-selling it.

    Do note however that if they do that, it is only a matter of their trading policy offered to
    create/preserve customer goodwill. So far as your statutory rights are concerned, you don't have any
    right to exchange or return for refund goods brought in error, basically unless there's something
    wrong with them. If you decide you don't like the colour or the style, or even the size after
    purchase, the law says it's yours. What the shop is willing to do is up to them (although they
    should abide by any displayed/published refund/exchange policy of course).

    Rich

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 08:35:30 +0000 (UTC), "Saint" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The only problem is that it's fitted with the 'twist grip' shifters whereas I am used to the rapid
    >fire type ones.

    If that genuinely is the only problem then you could always ask them to change the shifters for you
    - it's dead easy.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    Hello, Sorry to put the dampers on this-but in my experience only cycle shops who have had you as a
    customer for some time, spending lots of cash, will exchange the bike itself. However the swapping
    over of the levers is of course simple but again I might warn, the shop in question will no doubt
    charge for this too. Hope I am wrong! Kind regards, John http://www.pbase.com/john28july

  7. Saint

    Saint Guest

    "NO SPAM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:IBqCa.946$P%[email protected]...
    > Hello, Sorry to put the dampers on this-but in my experience only cycle shops who have had you as
    > a customer for some time, spending lots of cash, will exchange the bike itself. However the
    > swapping over of the levers is of course simple but again I might warn, the shop in question will
    > no doubt charge for this too. Hope I am wrong! Kind regards, John

    It's ok - I guess all I can do is ask them really - if they say no they say no. They may, of course,
    be persuaded by the fact that I will spend another £200 on the bike I should have bought.

    Wonder if that will make any difference?

    Saint