Bike Financing?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jay Smith, May 7, 2003.

  1. Jay Smith

    Jay Smith Guest

    I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Based on my research I
    have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much interested in purchasing, the only
    problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at once) so I was wondering if anyone
    knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me if this all sounds absurd). Thanks
    for any info. Also does anyone have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Based on my research
    > I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much interested in purchasing, the only
    > problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at once) so I was wondering if anyone
    > knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me if this all sounds absurd). Thanks
    > for any info. Also does anyone have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.

    Super Go
    --
    Slacker

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jay Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Liquid 10. Based on my research I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much
    >interested in purchasing, the only problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at
    >once) so I was wondering if anyone knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me
    >if this all sounds absurd).

    Use your credit card.

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, Jay Smith
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Liquid 10. Based on my research I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much
    > >interested in purchasing, the only problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at
    > >once) so I was wondering if anyone knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse
    > >me if this all sounds absurd).
    >
    > Use your credit card.

    They're are ready maxed!
    --
    Slacker

  5. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping down so much on a bike just
    now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your bike will be cheaper in the end.

    -Dave

  6. Jay Smith wrote:

    > I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Based on my research
    > I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much interested in purchasing, the only
    > problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at once) so I was wondering if anyone
    > knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me if this all sounds absurd).

    Our shop has a financing plan, through a company called American General. We don't use it often, as
    most credit cards have much better terms. We make a point of making sure that customers know exactly
    what interest rate, etc... they are signing up for, to the point of reading them the small print. We
    also emphasize that THE SHOP is not financing the purchase, American General is. The financing plan
    is not something that most of us would use, but we make it available for those customers who want
    it. As I remember, AG originally came into the shop attached to a Litespeed 0% deal. AG will finance
    any purchase over $500, with a 30 minute decision process.

    Barry

  7. Jay Smith wrote:

    > I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Also does anyone
    > have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.

    Our shop sells Liquids alongside the Giant VT series. After checking out the Giant, I don't know why
    anyone would buy the Liquid. <G>

    I agonized over both, until I rode them. The VT (especially mine, with a BOMBER Z1-FR! <G>) left me
    saying "Liquid what"?

    Barry

  8. Jay Smith

    Jay Smith Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping down so much on a bike just
    > now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your bike will be cheaper in the end.
    >
    > -Dave

    Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
    offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
    (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I can't
    afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart (Wal-Mailt
    bikes). Thanks.

  9. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jay Smith wrote:

    > Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
    > offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
    > (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
    > can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
    > (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

    Your parents won't give you a loan? Or maybe ask them to help you get a loan at a bank. It'll be
    good for your credit rating in the end, anyway.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  10. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    Jay Smith wrote:

    > So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that offer a monthly payment plan. I see
    > other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan (computers). So I just wondered if it
    > was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I can't afford to spend $1800 all at once.
    > And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

    The $1k-$3k things you see financed are from big corporations that can set up a finance division or
    out-source it. Smaller LBSs aren't going to have those kind of resources. Financing also requires
    approved credit. No one is going to give you credit under the age of 18 either.

    You may get lucky though. My local dive shop financed my dive kit for no interest and just a
    friendly six month payment plan. Chances of finding a bike shop to do that are pretty slim though,
    most likely the best you'll find would be a layaway program.

    -will

  11. Determined

    Determined Guest

    "Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping
    down
    > > so much on a bike just now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your
    bike
    > > will be cheaper in the end.
    > >
    > > -Dave
    >
    > Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
    > offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
    > (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
    > can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
    > (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

    Where do you live? They don't extend credit to people under 18 yrs old (legal adult) in the US.

  12. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
    > offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
    > (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
    > can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
    > (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

    At first, your request sounded reasonable, now it's getting to be on the absurd side. Like Slacker
    mentioned, Supergo finances through AmGen... but you need to be at least 18, and you need to have
    credit or they'll just deny your application. If I were you, I would either try to save up for it
    (long and slow process, but rewarding!).... or buy a good bike in the $700-1000 range. Don't
    overspend, and your problem is solved.

    -John Morgan

  13. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (Jay Smith) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping down so much on a bike
    > > just now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your bike will be cheaper in the end.
    > >
    > > -Dave
    >
    > Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
    > offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
    > (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
    > can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
    > (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

    Try a lay-away plan on the bike. Have the shop hold it for you, and you pay what you can afford
    each month, and when it's paid off, it's yours. Or you could just go get a 2nd on your house, and
    when you crash on the bike, are unable to work and pay your first, your second, and other debts,
    you surrender the house in a bankruptcy and are miraculously out of debt! Best yet, you get to
    keep the bike!

    Paladin Save and pay cash is my advice.

  14. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping
    down
    > > so much on a bike just now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your
    bike
    > > will be cheaper in the end.
    > >
    > > -Dave
    >
    > Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
    > offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
    > (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
    > can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
    > (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

    You can't get credit, but you can get checks. Some shops - the Sun & Ski chain for one - let you
    leave post-dated checks with them that they cash once a month for (I think) six months. For example,
    if your Liquid is 1800, they would let you put $300 down, and leave 5 more $300 checks with them,
    dated one month from sale, two months, etc.

    That's a (monstrous) rarity in the world of bike shops, but you may get lucky. Anyplace dealing with
    Trek bikes has a lot of corporate resources, so you have that going for you.

    Chris

  15. Determined

    Determined Guest

    > "Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping
    > down
    > > > so much on a bike just now. Wait a year and pay them down first.
    Your
    > bike
    > > > will be cheaper in the end.
    > > >
    > > > -Dave
    > >
    > > Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
    > > offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
    > > (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
    > > can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
    > > (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.
    > >

    > You can't get credit, but you can get checks. Some shops - the Sun & Ski chain for one - let you
    > leave post-dated checks with them that they cash once a month for (I think) six months. For
    > example, if your Liquid is
    1800,
    > they would let you put $300 down, and leave 5 more $300 checks with them, dated one month from
    > sale, two months, etc.

    My bank won't let you get a checking account if you're under 18 either.

  16. Jay Smith

    Jay Smith Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jay Smith wrote:
    > >
    > > I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Also does anyone
    > > have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.
    >
    > Our shop sells Liquids alongside the Giant VT series. After checking out the Giant, I don't know
    > why anyone would buy the Liquid. <G>
    >
    > I agonized over both, until I rode them. The VT (especially mine, with a BOMBER Z1-FR! <G>) left
    > me saying "Liquid what"?
    >
    > Barry

    Thanks for all the info I think that the best thing for me to do is to either save the money (long
    process) or talk to a dealer about a lay-away program. As for the Giant VT, the truth is I'd rather
    have it but there arn't any dealers in my area that cary it. I think I will have to settle for the
    Trek. Is there a large performance difference between the two? I havn't noticed any real differences
    component wise other than the real shocks and the hydralic disc brakes on the Trek and the
    mechanical ones on the Giant. Thanks

  17. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Jay Smith) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Thanks for all the info I think that the best thing for me to do is to either save the money (long
    > process) or talk to a dealer about a lay-away program.

    How about talking to your parents? If you're a minor, I doubt a shop would loan the money to you
    without your parents' guarantee anyway.

  18. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > [email protected] (Jay Smith) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >> Thanks for all the info I think that the best thing for me to do is to either save the money
    >> (long process) or talk to a dealer about a lay-away program.
    >
    > How about talking to your parents? If you're a minor, I doubt a shop would loan the money to you
    > without your parents' guarantee anyway.

    I vote for layaway too... the neighborhood lbs let me my kid put a $200 shock on layaway
    when he was 12

    Penny

  19. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:A%[email protected]...

    > My bank won't let you get a checking account if you're under 18 either.

    Damn dude, find a new bank. I've had a (free) checking account since before I had a car.

    Chris

  20. Jay Smith wrote:
    > Is there a large performance
    > difference between the two?

    Yes.

    If you can't get a VT to ride, it's a moot point. If you can get your paws on one, try it. The VT's
    suspension pretty much disappears while pedalling. I've never, ever, ridden a 5-6" travel bike that
    climbs like a VT.

    Barry