Bike Financing?

Jay Smith

Guest
I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Based on my research I
have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much interested in purchasing, the only
problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at once) so I was wondering if anyone
knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me if this all sounds absurd). Thanks
for any info. Also does anyone have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.

"Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Based on my research
> I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much interested in purchasing, the only
> problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at once) so I was wondering if anyone
> knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me if this all sounds absurd). Thanks
> for any info. Also does anyone have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.

Super Go
--
Slacker

In article <[email protected]>, Jay Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>Liquid 10. Based on my research I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much
>interested in purchasing, the only problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at
>once) so I was wondering if anyone knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me
>if this all sounds absurd).

Use your credit card.

> In article <[email protected]>, Jay Smith
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Liquid 10. Based on my research I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much
> >interested in purchasing, the only problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at
> >once) so I was wondering if anyone knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse
> >me if this all sounds absurd).
>
> Use your credit card.

They're are ready maxed!
--
Slacker

If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping down so much on a bike just
now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your bike will be cheaper in the end.

-Dave

Jay Smith wrote:

> I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Based on my research
> I have concluded that this is a bike that I would be very much interested in purchasing, the only
> problem is that I don't have $1800 to spend on a bike (not at once) so I was wondering if anyone
> knew of a retailer that has a financing plan on bike (excuse me if this all sounds absurd).

Our shop has a financing plan, through a company called American General. We don't use it often, as
most credit cards have much better terms. We make a point of making sure that customers know exactly
what interest rate, etc... they are signing up for, to the point of reading them the small print. We
also emphasize that THE SHOP is not financing the purchase, American General is. The financing plan
is not something that most of us would use, but we make it available for those customers who want
it. As I remember, AG originally came into the shop attached to a Litespeed 0% deal. AG will finance
any purchase over $500, with a 30 minute decision process.

Barry

Jay Smith wrote:

> I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Also does anyone
> have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.

Our shop sells Liquids alongside the Giant VT series. After checking out the Giant, I don't know why
anyone would buy the Liquid. <G>

I agonized over both, until I rode them. The VT (especially mine, with a BOMBER Z1-FR! <G>) left me
saying "Liquid what"?

Barry

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping down so much on a bike just
> now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your bike will be cheaper in the end.
>
> -Dave

Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
(computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I can't
afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart (Wal-Mailt
bikes). Thanks.

In article <[email protected]>, Jay Smith wrote:

> Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
> offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
> (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
> can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
> (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

Your parents won't give you a loan? Or maybe ask them to help you get a loan at a bank. It'll be
good for your credit rating in the end, anyway.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

Jay Smith wrote:

> So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that offer a monthly payment plan. I see
> other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan (computers). So I just wondered if it
> was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I can't afford to spend $1800 all at once.
> And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

The $1k-$3k things you see financed are from big corporations that can set up a finance division or
out-source it. Smaller LBSs aren't going to have those kind of resources. Financing also requires
approved credit. No one is going to give you credit under the age of 18 either.

You may get lucky though. My local dive shop financed my dive kit for no interest and just a
friendly six month payment plan. Chances of finding a bike shop to do that are pretty slim though,
most likely the best you'll find would be a layaway program.

-will

"Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping
down
> > so much on a bike just now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your
bike
> > will be cheaper in the end.
> >
> > -Dave
>
> Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
> offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
> (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
> can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
> (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

Where do you live? They don't extend credit to people under 18 yrs old (legal adult) in the US.

> Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
> offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
> (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
> can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
> (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

At first, your request sounded reasonable, now it's getting to be on the absurd side. Like Slacker
mentioned, Supergo finances through AmGen... but you need to be at least 18, and you need to have
credit or they'll just deny your application. If I were you, I would either try to save up for it
(long and slow process, but rewarding!).... or buy a good bike in the $700-1000 range. Don't
overspend, and your problem is solved.

-John Morgan

[email protected] (Jay Smith) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping down so much on a bike
> > just now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your bike will be cheaper in the end.
> >
> > -Dave
>
> Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
> offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
> (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
> can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
> (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

Try a lay-away plan on the bike. Have the shop hold it for you, and you pay what you can afford
each month, and when it's paid off, it's yours. Or you could just go get a 2nd on your house, and
when you crash on the bike, are unable to work and pay your first, your second, and other debts,
you surrender the house in a bankruptcy and are miraculously out of debt! Best yet, you get to
keep the bike!

Paladin Save and pay cash is my advice.

"Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping
down
> > so much on a bike just now. Wait a year and pay them down first. Your
bike
> > will be cheaper in the end.
> >
> > -Dave
>
> Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
> offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
> (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
> can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
> (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.

You can't get credit, but you can get checks. Some shops - the Sun & Ski chain for one - let you
leave post-dated checks with them that they cash once a month for (I think) six months. For example,
if your Liquid is 1800, they would let you put $300 down, and leave 5 more $300 checks with them,
dated one month from sale, two months, etc.

That's a (monstrous) rarity in the world of bike shops, but you may get lucky. Anyplace dealing with
Trek bikes has a lot of corporate resources, so you have that going for you.

Chris

> "Jay Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > If your credit cards are maxed, you might want to reconsider plumping
> down
> > > so much on a bike just now. Wait a year and pay them down first.
Your
> bike
> > > will be cheaper in the end.
> > >
> > > -Dave
> >
> > Actually I don't have any credit cards. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bike shops that
> > offer a monthly payment plan. I see other items in the $1000-$3000 that offer a payment plan
> > (computers). So I just wondered if it was possible with bikes. I am only 16 I have a job but I
> > can't afford to spend $1800 all at once. And I am tired of low quality bikes that fall apart
> > (Wal-Mailt bikes). Thanks.
> >

> You can't get credit, but you can get checks. Some shops - the Sun & Ski chain for one - let you
> leave post-dated checks with them that they cash once a month for (I think) six months. For
> example, if your Liquid is
1800,
> they would let you put $300 down, and leave 5 more $300 checks with them, dated one month from
> sale, two months, etc.

My bank won't let you get a checking account if you're under 18 either.

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jay Smith wrote:
> >
> > I am in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Trek Liquid 10. Also does anyone
> > have any opion of this bike. Thanks onec again.
>
> Our shop sells Liquids alongside the Giant VT series. After checking out the Giant, I don't know
> why anyone would buy the Liquid. <G>
>
> I agonized over both, until I rode them. The VT (especially mine, with a BOMBER Z1-FR! <G>) left
> me saying "Liquid what"?
>
> Barry

Thanks for all the info I think that the best thing for me to do is to either save the money (long
process) or talk to a dealer about a lay-away program. As for the Giant VT, the truth is I'd rather
have it but there arn't any dealers in my area that cary it. I think I will have to settle for the
Trek. Is there a large performance difference between the two? I havn't noticed any real differences
component wise other than the real shocks and the hydralic disc brakes on the Trek and the
mechanical ones on the Giant. Thanks

[email protected] (Jay Smith) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Thanks for all the info I think that the best thing for me to do is to either save the money (long
> process) or talk to a dealer about a lay-away program.

How about talking to your parents? If you're a minor, I doubt a shop would loan the money to you
without your parents' guarantee anyway.

Ken wrote:
> [email protected] (Jay Smith) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>> Thanks for all the info I think that the best thing for me to do is to either save the money
>> (long process) or talk to a dealer about a lay-away program.
>
> How about talking to your parents? If you're a minor, I doubt a shop would loan the money to you
> without your parents' guarantee anyway.

I vote for layaway too... the neighborhood lbs let me my kid put a $200 shock on layaway
when he was 12

Penny

Jay Smith wrote:
> Is there a large performance
> difference between the two?

Yes.

If you can't get a VT to ride, it's a moot point. If you can get your paws on one, try it. The VT's
suspension pretty much disappears while pedalling. I've never, ever, ridden a 5-6" travel bike that
climbs like a VT.

Barry