Bike fit emergency

thereiner

Sep 14, 2003
I just bought a 57mm Litespeed online. Top tube = 56.5. I am 5'11" with a 34 in inseam. The kit came with a 100mm stem. The bike just arrived and feels way long. I am going to switch out the 100 mm for a 90 mm stem and see if that helps. If it doesn't, should I drop down to a 55cm which has a smaller top tube? Will I give up anything in terms of confort doing so?

I am 5'10.5" with a 34" inseam. I ride a 56 cm IF with a 57cm top tube and 100mm stem. Of course, fit can be very different from person to person, but I would say you just need to stretch out a bit. Ride with a little less drop from seat to stem if you can. Do you have short arms? That could make fit a bit weird.

Originally posted by thereiner
I just bought a 57mm Litespeed online. Top tube = 56.5. I am 5'11" with a 34 in inseam. The kit came with a 100mm stem. The bike just arrived and feels way long. I am going to switch out the 100 mm for a 90 mm stem and see if that helps. If it doesn't, should I drop down to a 55cm which has a smaller top tube? Will I give up anything in terms of confort doing so?

I'm 5'11 and race a 57cm Kane. One thing that I did to accomodate the long top tube is adjust my seat to the most forward position on the rail. I use a 110mm stem which puts me in a nice aerodynamic position on the windy rides I often take.

It may just take some getting used to. I suggest going on a 20 mile stroll. This will give you a good comfort indicator as to what you can expect from this frame. If worse comes to worse, go down to the next smaller size if you can, but 57cm is such a perfect size frame for everything [crits, climbing, road racing]. Good luck!

Best Wishes,
Vector7

I'm 5'11 and race a 57cm Kane. One thing that I did to accomodate the long top tube is adjust my seat to the most forward position on the rail. I use a 110mm stem which puts me in a nice aerodynamic position on the windy rides I often take.

It may just take some getting used to. I suggest going on a 20 mile stroll. This will give you a good comfort indicator as to what you can expect from this frame. If worse comes to worse, go down to the next smaller size if you can, but 57cm is such a perfect size frame for everything [crits, climbing, road racing]. Good luck!

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Best Wishes,
Vector7