Bike Fitting Systems - which one is best?

Jesse Falsone

New Member
Sep 22, 2003
I'm a recreational rider and I would like to get fit properly on my current road bike. I've been doing some research on many of the fitting systems available in my area (Balt/Wash DC). It seems that there are a number to chose from (Fit Kit, Serotta, ErgoFit, Bio-Racer, etc). I'm particularly interested in getting my cleats adjusted and shimmed properly.

I'm sure that any fitting system is only as good as the person performing it. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to get fit in my area and which method to use? Thanks.

Originally posted by Jesse Falsone
I'm a recreational rider and I would like to get fit properly on my current road bike. I've been doing some research on many of the fitting systems available in my area (Balt/Wash DC). It seems that there are a number to chose from (Fit Kit, Serotta, ErgoFit, Bio-Racer, etc). I'm particularly interested in getting my cleats adjusted and shimmed properly.

I'm sure that any fitting system is only as good as the person performing it. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to get fit in my area and which method to use? Thanks.

With the help of another person, you can start with these on-line fit systems. They will give you a pretty good base line starting point. After you have put in a few miles, you can tinker with your measurements to get it dialed in to what you feel suits you best.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

http://www.bsn.com/cycling/ergobike.html

Thanks. I've actually been riding this bike for a few months and have incrementally changed my setup over time after lots of research and trial/error. I'm still not completely satisfied with my fit, although some of my issues may stem from technique defficiencies.

Recently, I moved my seat up a few mm's and promptly rode 45 miles twice at a brisk pace. I was inclined to stay seated more during climbs and I believe I put a bit too much strain on my knees with a lower cadence. Likewise, I'm also concerned that my cleats are not adjusted or shimmed properly and that might be contributing to my problems. Under these circumstances, a good fit from someone who knows what they are doing seemed to be a good idea.

This One:
http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp
"Jesse Falsone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a recreational rider and I would like to get fit
> properly on my current road bike. I've been doing some
> research on many of the fitting systems available in my
> area (Balt/Wash DC). It seems that there are a number to
> chose from (Fit Kit, Serotta, ErgoFit, Bio- Racer, etc).
> I'm particularly interested in getting my cleats adjusted
> and shimmed properly.
>
> I'm sure that any fitting system is only as good as
> the person performing it. Does anyone have a
> suggestion on where to get fit in my area and which
> method to use? Thanks.
>

> --

Jesse Falsone <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm sure that any fitting system is only as good as
> the person performing it. Does anyone have a
> suggestion on where to get fit in my area and which
> method to use? Thanks.

Sheldon Brown's worthy article on the subject, with an
assortment of links to fitting regimes at the end:

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Chalo Colina

Jesse-<< It seems that there are a number to chose from (Fit
Kit, Serotta, ErgoFit, Bio- Racer, etc). I'm particularly
interested in getting my cleats adjusted and shimmed
properly. >><BR><BR>

The Serotta fit system insists that the people be trained so
I would choose them.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

>I'm a recreational rider and I would like to get fit
>properly on my current road bike.

They all will give you a different result. However, your
body will tell you if things, especially cleat position ,
are correct. If it feels that your foot alyays wants to be
in one position, move the cleat slightly that way. It mostly
trial and error at the fine adjustment level Phil Brown

Jesse Falsone <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks. I've actually been riding this bike for a few
> months and have incrementally changed my setup over time
> after lots of research and trial/error. I'm still not
> completely satisfied with my fit, although some of my
> issues may stem from technique defficiencies.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cool. you're well on your way
because not everybody
recognizes this. join a club w/
a racing coach.

(quickfix: work on flexibility.)

> Recently, I moved my seat up a few mm's and promptly
> rode 45 miles twice at a brisk pace. I was inclined to
> stay seated more during climbs and I believe I put a bit
> too much strain on my knees with a lower cadence.
> Likewise, I'm also concerned that my cleats are not
> adjusted or shimmed properly and that might be
> contributing to my problems. Under these circumstances,
> a good fit from someone who knows what they are doing
> seemed to be a good idea.

phil-<< However, your body will tell you if things,
especially cleat position , are correct. If it feels that
your foot alyays wants to be in one position, move the cleat
slightly that way.
>><BR><BR>

How true. After I got Zeros and fiddling around I find that
the cleat position is almost the same as it was when I first
got Duegis and toe clips. Hardly any float, toes pointed
inward just a wee bit...

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Since no one has answered your question about where to go in
your area, my suggestion is join a recreational club in the
DC/Baltimore area and ask the experienced riders in the club
which shops they recommend. I often notice cyclists who seem
to be positioned perfectly and sometimes, I'll ask a rider
where he or she got their bike. --Roy Zipris