bike fitting?

eddiespageddy

Dec 20, 2013
I have a friend looking to get a road bike but she wants this fitting from one shop for around $200 first. I know of another shop that says they do this evaluation for ~$75. Are either of these worthwhile or is she just spending too much money for this? Thanks -spageddy

eddiespageddy said:
I have a friend looking to get a road bike but she wants this fitting from one shop for around $200 first. I know of another shop that says they do this evaluation for ~$75. Are either of these worthwhile or is she just spending too much money for this? Thanks -spageddy
It all depends on the skill of the person doing the fitting. Your friend should ask if the cost of the fitting comes off the price of a new bike if we buys one from a given shop. It's fairly typical for a shop to take whatever they charge for a fitting off the cost of a bike.

Originally Posted by alienator

It all depends on the skill of the person do the fitting. Your friend should ask if the cost of the fitting comes off the price of a new bike if we buys one from a given shop. It's fairly typical for a shop to take whatever they charge for a fitting off the cost of a bike.
There are fittings and there are fittings. $75 is usually for a basic, which is seeing that the rider is basically comfortable, in balance, able to control the bike, able to put out reasonable power, and generally not going to cause injury. Many shops offer the basic at no charge to any customer who buys a new bike, or a new road bike, or some other qualification.

Beyond that gets into adaptations for physical anomalies (foot and knee alignment, scoliosis, old ski injuries, fused vertebra, etc.) and performance tuning for wattage, aerodynamics, and sustainability.

I generally tell customers to stick with the basic for at least the period of getting comfortable on the bike. Then when the anomalies show up or performance becomes a concern, shop around--talk with fitters about their experience, methodologies and priorities.

And, as alienator says, the skill of the fitter is paramount.

you know, i assumed that would be that case but didnt push the thought, thanks for the reminder. A shop here in san jose, sports basement does that with demo saddles; try one for a week for $10 and that's deducted from the cost of the saddle you decide to buy no matter how long you take to find the one you like.

A lot depends on your friend's age, fitness, core strength, and flexibility, too. Young, fit, flexible, a basic fit might be all that's required to ride comfortably for 5-6 hours at a time, if she starts with the correct frame size. I'm far from young, but I'm flexible enough to rest my knuckles on the floor in a straight legged bend.

Originally Posted by eddiespageddy
you know, i assumed that would be that case but didnt push the thought, thanks for the reminder. A shop here in san jose, sports basement does that with demo saddles; try one for a week for $10 and that's deducted from the cost of the saddle you decide to buy no matter how long you take to find the one you like.
I like that.