Bike for 290lbs rider??

dtandy

Jun 23, 2004
I'm doing a bit of research looking for a good roadbike that can handle a 290 lbs rider. The frame will need to be a 61/62 cm. Price should be less than $2500 (new).

I'd specifically like to hear recommendations from the clydesdales out there about what has worked for them.....not only the frames that are tough enough but also components that have worked well too.

Thanks,

Dave

Some bikes/components/wheels have weight limits. Usually the high end stuff that has been lightened alot. I would call the manufacturers of bikes your interested in and ask them to be sure. Also something you might not have considered is a custom frame. You may have a local builder that can really set you up well for a comparable price to a stock frame.

Originally posted by dtandy
I'm doing a bit of research looking for a good roadbike that can handle a 290 lbs rider. The frame will need to be a 61/62 cm. Price should be less than $2500 (new).

I'd specifically like to hear recommendations from the clydesdales out there about what has worked for them.....not only the frames that are tough enough but also components that have worked well too.

Thanks,

Dave

Rivendell Rambouillet or Atlantis are steel bicycles I have ridden with my 200+ lbs. and 40+ lbs. of gear.
I now ride Litespeed Blue Ridge... a touring bicycle that handles that load very well. I like fatter tires for their shock absorbtion and longer life, and cantilever brakes with Kool Stop Salmon pads.
You will need to have well built wheels and strong brakes. Velocity is making a run of their Synergy OCR rims in 700C for Rivendell. That would make a nice strong and duarble rear wheel.

See if you can get Chalo to chime in here. Chalo is very large, but more important very knowledgeable on these issues

Heron Bicyles also makes a road and a touring bicycle that are very well built. Rally = their road version and it will handle 32 mm wide tires; Wayfarer = their touring version that easily handle 37 mm wide tires. I have ridden these bicycles on the hills with large loads and have been very happy with their ride and stability.

hey man, i dont mean to be rude or offensive but i assume you are doing this to lost weight, id suggest you down some walking and swimming to get ur cardiovascual level up and mayb try a mountain bike which are more stable than a racing bike, watch the weight pour off then get urself a racer! =)

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,
If you are just starting out and the goal is exercise and losing weight, might I make a suggestion? Don't start with a $2500 roadie. Start with something less expensive. You might not like cycling.

Go to your LBS and talk to them.

FYI, I started out two yeas ago at 290lbs on Trek Navigator 300. I soon became adicted and was soon at 240lbs. I am now riding a 2004 Lemond Zurich, a hybrid steel/CF frame with Ultrega grouppo that is fantastic.

In close to two years on the Navigator I did over 8,000 miles. Now, on my two month old Zurich, I just ticked over 1400 miles. It is addictive!

Regards.

Wow Babbar's story sounds almost exactly like mine! I was close to 290 last October when I decided to get back into biking. Here's what I did: started out buying a Kona Hoss mountain bike (made for big guys) and did a lot of basic trail riding. It's been a great bike (I still ride it regularly) and has held up perfectly. You can put some slicks on it for road riding if you want. Anyway, when I dropped about 40 pounds, I looked into a road bike and - this past April - got a 2002 Bianchi Imola. I've been riding it a lot and it's held up well for my weight. I'm now about 240 pounds andn well on my way to losing more! :) Good luck with whatever you decide. If I can provide any more information, let me know...

Thanks for all of the responses. Actually, I'm doing a bit of research for a coworker. He knows that I have a passion for cycling (I have been riding for years and I have a frame that I built hanging in my office) so he asked me for some advice. He used to ride mountain bikes quite a bit but we're talking nearly a decade ago. Also, he worked in a bike shop decades ago and he currently follows some of the big European tours so he's aware of the upper end gear.

I hadn't considered the touring bike option. I'll have to do some research into that. Also, we have a local framebuilder so I may give him a call. I was thinking that a Columbus Max bike may be an option since that's some very stout tubing.

- Dave

Thanks,

Dave