Bike for 500lb Rider?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by [email protected], Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
    height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
    bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
    the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
    prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.

    Also, what guidelines could you recommend for him to look for?
    Obviously something that can bear up with his weight, but what types
    of components/materials are better than others?

    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Alan Acock

    Alan Acock Guest

    [email protected] wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi,
    >

    > What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
    > height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
    > bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
    > the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
    > prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.
    >
    > Also, what guidelines could you recommend for him to look for?
    > Obviously something that can bear up with his weight, but what types
    > of components/materials are better than others?
    >
    > Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks!

    I'm not an expert on this but I would think a heavy duty mountain bike
    without suspension, but with heavy duty wheels would work fine. This
    assumes the person has the flexibility to get his/her leg over the top
    tube. The wheels designed for down hill bikes are intended to take jumps
    by a 200 pound rider and this surely puts several times that pressure on
    the wheels.Also, getting the extra wide tires used on down hill bikes
    would probably help. Sooooo, down hill bike heavy duty wheels and tires
    together with a heavy duty, but unsuspended mountain bike frame should
    work fine. Somebody else surely has more knowledge about suspension
    rather than nonsuspension.

    Alan Acock

  3. From the Worksman bike site

    "Worksman Industrial Bicycles are simply the most heavy duty bikes made"

    http://www.worksman.com/industrialbikes.html

    news:[email protected]