Bike for a keen commuter and general cycling enthusiast

muchosamor

Apr 7, 2010
I am looking to buy a new bike, and I would like some advice.

I cycle to work everyday and I also do a lot of cycling at the weekend. I'm pretty much just cycling on fairly well maintained roads, but there are a few bumpier country lanes occasionally too. So I am looking for a bike that is light enough to be easy to whizz to work on, but capable enough to handle a couple of rougher roads every now and then. I'm a short, fairly small woman (5'3", 55kg or so).

I live very near Bristol (UK), so I have plenty of good bike shops to choose from. My absolute maximum amount I can spend is £700, but really I would much prefer under £600, and cheaper would be good too!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I replied to a similar post a few lines down, so I'll paraphrase.

Do you want:

1) A roadbike that's more ruggedized for rough roads and light trails or;
2) A mountain bike that's more "urbanized" with less hardcore offroad features like suspension and knobby tires?

I personally have both -

1) My "roadbike" is a Specialized Tricross - its not as fast as a dedicated roadbike, but its a little more rugged for light trail work and the riding position is more upright for commuting - but its still quite fast during a recreational ride.

2) I also have a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc - its a mountain bike, but I've put semi-slick tires on it to favor the road riding that I mostly do. Its more of my utility bike - for pulling the kids in the chariot stroller, riding in the rain etc...whereas my Tricoss is my commuter/training bike.

Either direction you go, there are plenty of choices. Best advice is to go to your local bike shop and have a look, take a few out for a spin around the block. Its pretty hard to make an educated guess soley based on internet discussion.

Good luck!!

simonaway427 said:
1) A roadbike that's more ruggedized for rough roads and light trails or;
2) A mountain bike that's more "urbanized" with less hardcore offroad features like suspension and knobby tires?

Probably 1) As I said, I mostly cycle on roads but I don't want my bike to be so road specific that it can't handle a few bumps on a rougher road.

If that's the case, check out the Specialized Tricross. Other brands make similar bikes, but I can't speak about them since I've never rode them.