bike for clydes.?

lisandom

Mar 22, 2006
[SIZE= medium]I am a 45 year old male rider with weight issues (5’7”coming down from >250lbs.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]I have averaged more than 1500 miles of road riding per year over the last 5 years on my Fuji Absolute 1.0, an awesome flat-bar road bike. I need some advice on buying a new road machine. Do you know of any particular brands, models, materials or parts of road bikes made for an ass-kicking fat guy like me. I would also like to be able to ride some gravel/smooth single-track. Further, I don’t think I can spend more than $2000. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you. [/SIZE]

Cannondale CAAD10 Rival. Great bike, Light, very race-able, within your $$ allowance, and no weight warning stickers as far as I know. Good luck.

Did you ever look into cyclocross bikes. Has all the features of a road bike and built to take some abuse.

Any road bike will do except for ultra light time trial bikes(but they are way out of your price range anyway). Most traditional diamond frame bikes are designed to carry at least 300+ lbs. What you need to be concerned with is the spoke count of the wheels. Heavier guys need more spokes. Yeah, those 16 or 20 spoke wheels look sexy, but they probably won't hold you until you lose a little of the excess that you are carrying. You need to look for wheels that have 28, 32, or even 36 spokes for 250 lbs. Ride with the high spoke count wheels and then when you drop below 200, reward yourself with a set of wheels with a wickedly small number of spokes.