Bike for college

gam40000

Apr 14, 2011
I am in college and I want to get a bike to help me commute to and fro,

I want a racing style bike or a road bike with the drop down handle bars. MAX $200

any suggestions?

not a lot to work with but I appreciate any of the help I can get!

Check Craigslist, you can find a lot of bikes like what your looking for especially in a college town. If your not sure about a particular bike you see on Craigslist just re-post here with pic and brand and model and hopefully someone will respond fast; also check garage sales and Goodwill type of stores.

Before you buy know your size of bike, check the site frequently because good deals go fast. A lot of people will sell vintage bikes, especially Japanese bikes from the 80's relatively cheap, and some were rarely ridden. Example, I bought a 86 Fuji Club for $100, it had some minor paint chips from storage, the guy bought it new in 86 rode it 5 miles and stored it saying he hated it! The original tires and gears were all unworn! Then I bought a 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe in mint condition that was ridden about 250 miles when the owner bought in new in 85, he injured his back at home and stored it covered in blankets, then 3 weeks before I bought it he put new tires and tubes on and gave it a complete tuneup thinking he could ride it since his back hadn't bothered him in years, he rode it 4 miles and his back started to complain so he sold it. I got a 88 Miyata 712 and a 86 Nishki Olympic both in very good condition that were ridden about 3 to 4 thousand miles for under $100 each.

You can even check recycle places and dumpsters, you be surprised at what some people will throw away! I found in a dumpster a 08 Kona Lava Dome that needed new cables, chain, seat, pedals, and grips, total cost $80 for a 2 year old (at the time I found it) very good condition mountain bike that cost $900 new!

Once you get your bike buy a decent lock, you don't need the best lock on the market if your only going to spend less then $200 but you don't want some cheap Walmart lock either, and stay away from cable locks. U locks are generally the best but get one with a long U so you can lock your bike up the right way, and that way is to remove the front wheel bring it about halfway to your rear wheel then lock the front wheel with the back wheel and the frame seat post to a strong solid object that can't be cut like a chain link fence or a small tree or locked to something they can just lift the bike over.