Bike For Fitness Or Speed - I Have An Identity Crisis

metalmancpa

Jun 11, 2015
A few months ago I purchased a Specialized Sirrus to replace an aging hybrid. It's a really nice bike for it's lower price point (at least so far it is *knocks wood*). My general thought was getting a bike for fitness. I don't commute with a bike, so even though I ended up with one it was guided my fitness (upright more comfortable, not worried about wind drag, etc).

Yet, as I ride each time, I judge myself on speed and not just the fitness aspect alone. Right now I am averaging 18mph +/- a few tenths depending on the day. I know that's a decent pace for the equipment, but for whatever reason that 20mph average pace sticks in my mind. I'm pretty sure at my age of 55 that I will not be able to push the Sirrus to a 20mph average. I can sometimes keep the pace at 22 on flats, and the extenders on the handlebars help for hill climbs.

I could spend a couple of hundred on clipless shoes/pedal, but at the time I just went for the toe straps. That might gain 1/2 mph average.

Not sure if this post was asking for guidance of what to do, or just venting. I guess for now I'll say venting due to my displeasure of not being able to keep a 20mph average over a ride.

I wouldn't worry about that. Not unless you plan on racing. Distance and how often you do it will matter more for fitness. Speed is all well and good. Most people driving a car even think they need to pass everyone and get to the next light first. There is no point to any of this in a car. I've done 3 hours of biking a day at a moderate pace and steady. Those hours were broken up through out the day. Really remarkable results from this with no speeding. Whatever you do if it is strong and steady every day or at least 6 days a week. There will be results.