Bike for my Father in Law

Toby Barrett

Guest
My father in law is 60 this year. When asked what he wanted he said "a new bike". I had a look at
his old bike. It's a Dawes Warwick (he guessed it was from the late 1970s). It's a 531 frame with
drop-bars, rack, mudguards; a touring bike, in other words.

It's served him well: mainly riding to and from work (about 3 miles) and trips in and out of town.
It's getting old now; the frame is showing signs of rust and many of the parts are worn out.

My obvious thought was a Dawes Horizon; similar sort of machine with more modern bits. I think the
family could stretch to this (especially as you can get the 2002 model quite cheaply if you shop
around). But what else should be considered? What about the Dawes Discovery range?

Toby

"Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My father in law is 60 this year. When asked what he wanted he said "a new bike". I had a look at
> his old bike. It's a Dawes Warwick (he guessed it was from the late 1970s). It's a 531 frame with
> drop-bars, rack,
mudguards;
> a touring bike, in other words.
>
> It's served him well: mainly riding to and from work (about 3 miles) and trips in and out of town.
> It's getting old now; the frame is showing signs of rust and many of the parts are worn out.
>
> My obvious thought was a Dawes Horizon; similar sort of machine with more modern bits. I think the
> family could stretch to this (especially as you can get the 2002 model quite cheaply if you shop
> around). But what else should be considered? What about the Dawes Discovery range?

What does he want a new bike for? Maybe he wants to take up mountain biking or BMX and a new tourer
would not be the best option.

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> What does he want a new bike for? Maybe he wants to take up mountain biking or BMX and a new
> tourer would not be the best option.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. He'll use the new bike for the same purpose as the old one. Going to
work, trips into town, all journey's of just a few miles; all on road.

Toby

Can't quite see him taking up moutain biking or BMX. Or riding a recumbent for that matter!

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Firstly, the capital investment is spent -- though if the system is
working
> >I guess the cameras & computers can be sold to an enlightened city where Shagger Norris is not
> >the mayor :)
>
> >Running costs will, doubtless, be very well covered by those who elect to pay this Stupidity Tax.
>
> In large part, they will be passed on to everyone.

If the scheme is phenomenally successful 100,000 cars per day will enter the zone (about half the
current rate). =1/2 million quid per day or 125 million per year. Are you seriously suggesting the
running costs are higher? Do you have evidence as to what the running costs will be? How many more
miles of linear parking lot (aka road) could be built for the money?

> For a month or two until the traffic returns to normal inside the zone, and until next week when
> the traffic on the edge of the zone suffers.

Let's wait & see.

Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:
>My father in law is 60 this year. When asked what he wanted he said "a new bike". I had a look at
>his old bike. It's a Dawes Warwick (he guessed it was from the late 1970s). It's a 531 frame with
>drop-bars, rack, mudguards; a touring bike, in other words.

What about a Galaxy (maybe 2h or 2002 stock, if the budget's not huge) - although that depends if
the existing machine works well and a newer shinier version will go down well, or if it's in some
way fundamentally unsatisfactory.

Another alternative would be, assuming the old machine is just a bit tatty, to purchase and fit new
parts - going from 5-speed DT friction (guess) to 2x7 rear-indexed bar ends (beware that the old
frame is probably 126mm OLN in the rear), ensuring the wheel hubs and BB are in good shape, new
tyres if appropriate, a new B-17, nice panniers (Ortliebs?), a Nexus or SON if you're feeling flush,
etc. - could make a familiar machine much more pleasant to ride, giving it a new lease of life.
There's nothing inherently wrong with a late-70s 531 frame, after all.

[I forgot brakes. New brakes (if you can find some with sufficient clearance) with Kool Stop Salmon
pads would be a worthwhile upgrade to many bikes. And if the existing rims are old enough to be
steel, there's a valuable change.]

I made my mother very happy simply by looking over her bike, fitting a cyclecomputer, and building
up a wheel around a SRAM 7-speed hub gear - no new bike required.

Toby Barrett wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't make it clear. He'll use the new bike for the same purpose as the old one. Going
> to work, trips into town, all journey's of just a few miles; all on road.

> Can't quite see him taking up moutain biking or BMX. Or riding a recumbent for that matter!

Even if you could see him riding a 'bent, a new one will cost you a fair chunk more than your other
options outlined so far so it gets kicked firmly into touch on those grounds too.

I'd be inclined to take the Horizon (or similar) option: being basically what he's got but newer and
nicer, it's pretty much bound to do what he wants straight out the box but be that bit whizzier,
swisher and generally nicer. Unless he's expressed problems with his current drops he's quite likely
to want them again rather than change to flats, which puts the vote in favour of the tourer again.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/