Bike for Obese Rider

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by George, May 31, 2004.

1. Motobecane

Motobecane New Member

I will add that you MUST get proper wheels. I was an athletic 250lbs when i got my first bike in years last year. I didn't have major issues with the wheels but after 8 months i discovered cracks in the rims. What i find on bike forums is people always recommend Velocity deep v's however, I would actually recommend a Velocity Chukker which is designed like a deep v but wider so it can accept wider tires which will add a lot more comfort to your ride. Getting proper wheels built will be the most expensive part of the proposition but not crazy expensive and I strongly recommend that you do it.

FWIW, I just built a commuter/touring bike and wanted a front disc brake becaues I'll be riding this bike in all weather conditions. I LOVE the front disc brake, riding in the rain or in the aftermath of rain when the roads are still wet is not a problem whatsoever and I love the smooth feel of the lever. I'm using Avid BB7 with 160mm rotor. great stopping power.

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

The reason the links are no longer active might be because the thread is 7 years old........