bike for oddly-shaped woman

Owen Pope

Guest
My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is in
the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently riding a
54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for her, but is
comfortable.

The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
normally sized (well, she has long arms, too). I guess going
to a shop is still the thing to do, but I was hoping that
somebody could suggest a brand that would be more likely to
fit someone of such proportions.

She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom frame,
but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the factory
options first.

Thanks for the help,

Owen Pope wrote:
> My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is in
> the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently riding a
> 54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for her, but is
> comfortable.
>
> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
> test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
> a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
> normally sized (well, she has long arms, too). I guess going
> to a shop is still the thing to do, but I was hoping that
> somebody could suggest a brand that would be more likely to
> fit someone of such proportions.
>
> She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom frame,
> but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the factory
> options first.
>

> Thanks for the help,

Her proportions don't seem that odd to me. Maybe a short-ish top tube
so she can keep her cramped style, and "grow" into it with longer stems
as necessary.

If she were MY girlfriend, I'd buy her a 57cm c-c Pinarello F4:13. And
I'd let her buy me one too!After riding a 54 she might think the
stack-height on a 57 would be too high, but I think it would suit her
well.

Joseph

On 7 Aug 2006 20:26:49 GMT, Owen Pope <[email protected]> wrote:

>My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is in
>the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently riding a
>54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for her, but is
>comfortable.
>
> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
>test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
>a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
>normally sized (well, she has long arms, too). I guess going
>to a shop is still the thing to do, but I was hoping that
>somebody could suggest a brand that would be more likely to
>fit someone of such proportions.
>
>She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom frame,
>but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the factory
>options first.
>

>Thanks for the help,

Dear Owen,

While I disapprove of bandying a lady's femur or arm length in public,
your heart seems to be in the right place.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/performance.html

Your friend may find the site above interesting, since it panders to
the unfair sex.

A notorious feminist in Massachusetts sells Terry bicycles:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/terry/index.html

And here's a bunch of other local bike shops willing to prey upon
helpless women:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/dealers/index.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Owen Pope wrote:

> My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is in
> the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently riding a
> 54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for her, but is
> comfortable.
>
> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
> test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
> a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
> normally sized (well, she has long arms, too). I guess going
> to a shop is still the thing to do, but I was hoping that
> somebody could suggest a brand that would be more likely to
> fit someone of such proportions.
>
> She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom frame,
> but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the factory
> options first.

I'm not sure if I understand the requirements. I'm guessing that
besides being tall, she has perhaps a relatively short torso and prefers
a shorter top tube.

Terry Bikes have already been mentioned; while they definitely do the
short-top-tube thing, I think it's mostly for shorter *height* riders.
Definitely worth a look, though.

My weak sense of frame trends is that, separate from the (IMHO) ugly
compact-frame trend, top tubes are being spec'ed longer than they were
20 years ago. You might find a good fit in a classic bike. Perhaps via
Ebay or your local want ads (which are often sources of astounding
deals, if you know how to separate the wheat from the chaff).

Good luck,

Mark J.

Owen Pope wrote:
> My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is in
> the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently riding a
> 54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for her, but is
> comfortable.
>
> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
> test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
> a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
> normally sized (well, she has long arms, too). I guess going
> to a shop is still the thing to do, but I was hoping that
> somebody could suggest a brand that would be more likely to
> fit someone of such proportions.
>
> She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom frame,
> but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the factory
> options first.

I can't suggest specific brands, but most of them have spec sheets
on the web. It's not so much the frame size, as what frame size
will allow her to get the bottom bracket, saddle and bars in the right
place. You might want to measure these numbers on her current frame:
saddle top to BB axle (saddle height)
nose of saddle to bar tops (reach)
vertical drop from saddle top to bar tops (bar drop)
and make sure that any new bike can get her reasonably close.
It's a good idea, if you're starting from someplace comfortable, to
make changes in small increments.

I'm a bit surprised that she can fit a 54cm seat-tube comfortably; the
problem that would usually cause is that the bars are too low and
maybe too close. One issure to be aware of is that her old bike might
have a threaded stem and bars fairly far above the headset, while
newer bikes with threadless HS often have lower bars. (To avoid
flamewars, they CAN have higher bars, if the shop knows enough
to set them up right.)

You didn't mention the top tube length of her current frame, but
that's probably the most important number. I am 6'1" with a 35.5"
inseam, and long arms, and I can ride bikes from 57cm-63cm
seat-tube (center-top), but ~60cm is really the right size, and a
top tube of about 57-59 cm.

Ben

Owen Pope wrote:
> My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is in
> the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently riding a
> 54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for her, but is
> comfortable.
>
> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
> test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
> a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
> normally sized (well, she has long arms, too). I guess going
> to a shop is still the thing to do, but I was hoping that
> somebody could suggest a brand that would be more likely to
> fit someone of such proportions.
>
> She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom frame,
> but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the factory
> options first.

How on earth did she wind up with a 54cm bike? At 6' with a 36-/inch/
inseam (not 36' as you wrote! LOL ), seems like she should be on at least a
58 cm if not a 60.

Go to some LBSs and test ride a number of brands and sizes. She'll know
which one's the one for her.

(And don't tell her you called her "oddly shaped" on Usenet, or YOU may not
be the one for her! :p )

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Owen Pope wrote:
>> My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is
>> in the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently
>> riding a 54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for
>> her, but is comfortable.
>>
>> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
>> test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall,
>> with a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise,
>> she's pretty normally sized (well, she has long arms,
>> too). I guess going to a shop is still the thing to do,
>> but I was hoping that somebody could suggest a brand that
>> would be more likely to fit someone of such proportions.
>>
>> She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom
>> frame, but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the
>> factory options first.

> How on earth did she wind up with a 54cm bike? At 6' with
> a 36-/inch/ inseam (not 36' as you wrote! LOL ), seems like
> she should be on at least a 58 cm if not a 60.

I wonder the same thing myself. I'm the same height, with a
32" inseam, and I ride either a 56 or 58. She bought it from a
woman who is an accomplished racer, but I guess not an expert
bike-fitter.

Anyway, she seems comfortable on it, but I suspect that the
saddle is a bit too low, and that raising the saddle would cause
problems with the bar height.

It's not a problem for now, but if she starts doing a lot of
riding, issues would probably begin popping up.

> Go to some LBSs and test ride a number of brands and sizes.
> She'll know which one's the one for her.
>
> (And don't tell her you called her "oddly shaped" on
> Usenet, or YOU may not be the one for her! :p )

Don't worry, she has pride in her body! I'll probably show her
the thread, so she can read the responsesfor herself.

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
<ker-snip>
> You might want to
> measure these numbers on her current frame: saddle top to
> BB axle (saddle height) nose of saddle to bar tops (reach)
> vertical drop from saddle top to bar tops (bar drop)
> and make sure that any new bike can get her reasonably
> close. It's a good idea, if you're starting from someplace
> comfortable, to make changes in small increments.

Good idea, I think that I'll do that. We'll see what sort of
measurements she needs!

> I'm a bit surprised that she can fit a 54cm seat-tube
> comfortably; the problem that would usually cause is that
> the bars are too low and maybe too close. One issure to be
> aware of is that her old bike might have a threaded stem
> and bars fairly far above the headset, while newer bikes
> with threadless HS often have lower bars.

Her bike does indeed have a threaded stem, and it's fairly high.
I'm guessing that this allows her to have a short top-tube to
match her (relatively) short torso, and the seatpost is extended
(though probably not quite far enough) for her legs.

On 8 Aug 2006 00:26:23 GMT, Owen Pope <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> Owen Pope wrote:
>>> My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is
>>> in the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently
>>> riding a 54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for
>>> her, but is comfortable.
>>>
>>> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
>>> test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall,
>>> with a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise,
>>> she's pretty normally sized (well, she has long arms,
>>> too). I guess going to a shop is still the thing to do,
>>> but I was hoping that somebody could suggest a brand that
>>> would be more likely to fit someone of such proportions.
>>>
>>> She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom
>>> frame, but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the
>>> factory options first.

>> How on earth did she wind up with a 54cm bike? At 6' with
>> a 36-/inch/ inseam (not 36' as you wrote! LOL ), seems like
>> she should be on at least a 58 cm if not a 60.

>I wonder the same thing myself. I'm the same height, with a
>32" inseam, and I ride either a 56 or 58. She bought it from a
>woman who is an accomplished racer, but I guess not an expert
>bike-fitter.
>
>Anyway, she seems comfortable on it, but I suspect that the
>saddle is a bit too low, and that raising the saddle would cause
>problems with the bar height.
>
>It's not a problem for now, but if she starts doing a lot of
>riding, issues would probably begin popping up.

Dear Owen,

Despite the fuss about fitting, riders are surprisingly adaptable and
feel quite comfortable and happy on bicycles that experts insist
cannot be right.

To be fair, the rider may be even happier with the different size
prescribed by arcane fitting formulas.

A casual glance will show many riders standing anywhere from 5'4" to
6'4", a range of 76/54 in inches, or a 1.41 ratio of tall to short.
Yet even 180mm cranks versus 160mm cranks are only a 1.125 ratio.

Either legs are an extraordinary case, or else short and tall riders
are putting up with cranks that are too long or too short. Probably
they just get used to whatever crank length (or stem or top tube or
seat height or whatever) they happen to ride.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:33:40 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On 8 Aug 2006 00:26:23 GMT, Owen Pope <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

>>> How on earth did she wind up with a 54cm bike? At 6' with
>>> a 36-/inch/ inseam (not 36' as you wrote! LOL ), seems like
>>> she should be on at least a 58 cm if not a 60.

>>I wonder the same thing myself. I'm the same height, with a
>>32" inseam, and I ride either a 56 or 58. She bought it from a
>>woman who is an accomplished racer, but I guess not an expert
>>bike-fitter.
>>
>>Anyway, she seems comfortable on it, but I suspect that the
>>saddle is a bit too low, and that raising the saddle would cause
>>problems with the bar height.
>>
>>It's not a problem for now, but if she starts doing a lot of
>>riding, issues would probably begin popping up.

>Dear Owen,
>
>Despite the fuss about fitting, riders are surprisingly adaptable and
>feel quite comfortable and happy on bicycles that experts insist
>cannot be right.
>
>To be fair, the rider may be even happier with the different size
>prescribed by arcane fitting formulas.
>
>A casual glance will show many riders standing anywhere from 5'4" to
>6'4", a range of 76/54 in inches, or a 1.41 ratio of tall to short.
>Yet even 180mm cranks versus 160mm cranks are only a 1.125 ratio.
>
>Either legs are an extraordinary case, or else short and tall riders
>are putting up with cranks that are too long or too short. Probably
>they just get used to whatever crank length (or stem or top tube or
>seat height or whatever) they happen to ride.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Aaargh! Some days I shouldn't even get out of bed.

76/64 = 1.1875, ratio of 6'4" to 5'4", not 76/54, still rather more
than 180mm/160mm = 1.125, ratio for a very wide range of cranks.

CF

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 7 Aug 2006 20:26:49 GMT, Owen Pope <[email protected]> wrote:

>> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
>>test ride a few. The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
>>a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
>>normally sized (well, she has long arms, too). I guess going
>>to a shop is still the thing to do, but I was hoping that
>>somebody could suggest a brand that would be more likely to
>>fit someone of such proportions.

> While I disapprove of bandying a lady's femur or arm length in public,
> your heart seems to be in the right place.
>
> http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/performance.html

As a relatively tall, long-legged, very short-waisted woman, I looked at
Terry, but they are really geared towards short women. At 5'9" I was already
nearly too tall for most of their bikes. A woman who was 6' is probably far
out of their typical bike dimensions.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

> As a relatively tall, long-legged, very short-waisted woman, I looked at
> Terry, but they are really geared towards short women. At 5'9" I was already
> nearly too tall for most of their bikes. A woman who was 6' is probably far
> out of their typical bike dimensions.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>

> Claire Petersky

To Owen, Claire, & list:

The woman in question would probably throw rocks at any mass-produced
bike once she had takn a ride on a custom set up for her. The right
way is to start with a "
fit bike" like the Serotta to get the general dimensions. I would
guess 60 cm frame, 71 or 72 degree seat tube angle, maybe a 56-59 cm
top tube (depnding on how long her body is) and a longish stem for
those long arms. Plus longer chainstays to keep her from doing
wheelies every time she gets on it.

On the east coast Richard Sachs is pretty good, also Peter Weigle. On
the west coast, Andy Newlands at Strawberry Cycles, has seen it all.
There are probably 20 builders in the US that could do the job right.
I'm one of them, but I specialize in bikes for extreme riding, BMX,
4-cross, house jumping etc.

good luck

jn

"Thursday"

Owen Pope wrote:
> The problem is her dimensions: 6' tall, with
> a 36' inseam and really long femurs. Otherwise, she's pretty
> normally sized (well, she has long arms, too).

Seems pretty normal for a tall woman...

> She's willing (and financially able) to go for a custom frame,
> but it would obviously be easier to exhaust the factory
> options first.

I don't foresee a problem fitting her on any number of production
frames. The saddle height and setback are the first things to look at,
and this can be easily adjusted with the appropriate post and sliding
the saddle fore/aft on the rails. She may need a long post, but there
are plenty that are 400mm long. After that the only issue is the height
and reach to the bars... and this can be accomplished well with a wide
variety of top tube lengths, head tube lengths, stem lengths, and stem
rises.

In other words she *could* be fit quite well on her 54cm Cannondale
(probably), or pretty much any frame that is that size or a little
larger... up to ~60cm. It would probably be cost effective to try to
optimize her position on that bike before investing in a new one, just
so you know what she really wants/needs.

One issue she may have with a small frame is toe overlap with the front
wheel (if she also has long feet). Experienced riders don't seem to
worry about it, but it could cause her to crash while turning at low
speeds

On 7 Aug 2006 21:53:40 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>The woman in question would probably throw rocks at any mass-produced
>bike once she had takn a ride on a custom set up for her. The right
>way is to start with a "
>fit bike" like the Serotta to get the general dimensions. I would
>guess 60 cm frame, 71 or 72 degree seat tube angle, maybe a 56-59 cm
>top tube (depnding on how long her body is) and a longish stem for
>those long arms.

60 x 59 and 72 or 73 can probably be found stock. Adding in the
"longish" stem and it sounds quite stock.

I've got a bike from one of the biggest American builders and it's
60x58 with a seat tube of just under 73.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Owen Pope wrote:
> My girlfriend (from the above post on indexed steering) is in
> the market for a (racing) bicycle. She's currently riding a
> 54cm Cannondale that looks absurdly small for her, but is
> comfortable.
>
> The obvious thing is for her to go to a bike shop and
> test ride a few.

'Test ride' bikes that are not fit to her, do not have the proper stem,
seat height, and seat position fore aft is NOT the obvious thing to do.
Go to a bike shop with a fit person and fit cycle and do a fit...then
take those dimensions found and match to frame.

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> While I disapprove of bandying a lady's femur or arm length in public,
>> your heart seems to be in the right place.
>>
>> http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/performance.html

> As a relatively tall, long-legged, very short-waisted woman, I looked at
> Terry, but they are really geared towards short women. At 5'9" I was already
> nearly too tall for most of their bikes. A woman who was 6' is probably far
> out of their typical bike dimensions.

Bummer, I was going to look at them next time I needed a new bike. I
don't have any particular desire to go custom, so I'll just have to be
on the lookout for frames with a (relatively) short top tube.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
To restore a sense of reality, I think Walt Disney should have a Hardluckland.

Owen Pope wrote:

> Her bike does indeed have a threaded stem, and it's fairly high.
> I'm guessing that this allows her to have a short top-tube to
> match her (relatively) short torso, and the seatpost is extended
> (though probably not quite far enough) for her legs.

There are rules of thumb out there for the top-of-saddle to bottom
bracket distance (measured along the seat tube). LIke all rules
of thumb, these are only rough starting points. Some of these
are that the knee should be bent by some amount (not too much,
like 20 degrees) with the pedal at its lowest point; or that the
saddle-BB distance should be about 0.88 times inseam. These
are only rough, but if someone's seat is 5cm lower than the rule,
it's a possible problem. One thing many people note is that as
novice riders get more used to it they tend to raise the saddle
a little.

There are also rules of thumb for saddle to bar drop, again with
a huge range, based on comfort, body shape, whether you are
prone to back pain, and so on. Many people find bars close to
the saddle height are more comfortable; tall people often can
tolerate or prefer a little bit of drop. 2 inches is "you are
reasonably flexible and your back isn't hurting," 4 inches or
more is usually "you are a racer and/or get a massage after
every long ride" territory.

Ben

But Owen is not "teaching you what he knows". He's making inquiries
for you on usenet that you could be making yourself. Why don't you
take responsibility for solving your own problems?

[email protected] wrote:
> But Owen is not "teaching you what he knows". He's making inquiries
> for you on usenet that you could be making yourself. Why don't you
> take responsibility for solving your own problems?

Learn how to quote, Folson.

Then, learn when to keep quiet! LOL

[email protected] wrote:

> I'm much more interested in everyone's opinion on how I can find a nice
> bike that fits me well rather than any concerns people may have about
> my personal relationship. Thanks a bunch to those who are helping!

Rgut:

FWIW, my wife and have nearly matching leg lengths- my inseam is 36"
while hers is 35". She's 5-foot-10 while I'm 6-foot-4. We've been
riding together for 16 years.

I'm afraid I can't give you any guidance about bike purchases. She's
happy with her Tour Easy recumbent:
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/diane-big.jpg
as I am with mine:
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/jeff-big.jpg

I'd agree that a 58/60cm upright would fit you better than your current
bike. A fitting professional would probably put a short, upright stem
on that size frame to fit your relatively shorter torso.

Jeff