Bike For Overweight Man -- Advice Requested

thisisbeej

Oct 12, 2015
Hello there everyone! I have long desired to get into bike riding but have had difficulty with the notion of doing such because of my weight. I am a 30 year old male, 5'4 and 350 pounds. I need to seriously lose weight and I have decided I want to make a change and begin a weight loss quest.

I used to love riding my bike as a teenager during my much thinner days and after some long contemplative thought, have decided it would be great to get bake into biking as a weight loss measure. I love nature and scenery and biking would certainly help fulfill my desire to get outside and see all this beautiful planet has to offer.

I have a few concerns, however, in that I don't know where to begin. I did some extensive Google searching and I feel like I am more confused and unsure of what to get for a bike now than I was before. I have read that its best to avoid a mountain bike (my favorite bike as a teenager) because they make you lean forward and as someone overweight that is not all too comfortable. I don't even know what size frame or wheels to get.

My biggest concern is, of course, getting a bike that can survive my weight. I have read horror stories of overweight people bending their rims or spikes breaking and I just don't know where to begin. I am also on a budget and would prefer to stay in the $150-$250 budget range if possible. Cheaper is better if possible! If I have to go more expensive I can save up, but I want to get riding soon as I feel I am ready to get going.

Any feedback or advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!