bike frame for a Big bloke

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Phil Clarke, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Phil Clarke

    Phil Clarke Guest

    friend of mine is, hmm, approx 22 stone (he's not weeble shaped, he's
    6'7") His Scott MTB frame has split. Scott in the UK and US have been
    pretty crap about it IMHO.

    So he's thinking about transfering his bits (XT kit, hand-built wheels)
    to a new industrial strength frame. He's open minded about the cost.

    He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what frame
    should he be looking at?

    regards .. Phil

    Tags:

  2. > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what frame
    > should he be looking at?

    Custom built?

  3. Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what frame
    > > should he be looking at?

    > Custom built?

    Is solid aluminium bar stronger than steel tube of the same dimensions?
    Probably still needs cusom building though.

    peter

  4. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On 4 Apr 2006 14:23:26 -0700, "naked_draughtsman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what frame
    >> > should he be looking at?

    >> Custom built?

    >Is solid aluminium bar stronger than steel tube of the same dimensions?
    > Probably still needs cusom building though.

    Maybe just go with one of the manufacturers that offer a lifetime
    warranty on frames, and keep schtum about the fact that he's actually
    a shaved grizzly bear in trousers.

    "Bob"

  5. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    Phil Clarke wrote:
    > friend of mine is, hmm, approx 22 stone (he's not weeble shaped, he's
    > 6'7") His Scott MTB frame has split. Scott in the UK and US have been
    > pretty crap about it IMHO.
    >
    > So he's thinking about transfering his bits (XT kit, hand-built wheels)
    > to a new industrial strength frame. He's open minded about the cost.
    >
    > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what frame
    > should he be looking at?
    >
    > regards .. Phil

    Curtis?

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  6. Budstaff

    Budstaff Guest

    "naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what
    >> > frame
    >> > should he be looking at?

    >> Custom built?

    > Is solid aluminium bar stronger than steel tube of the same dimensions?
    > Probably still needs cusom building though.
    >
    > peter

    Solid aluminium bar of any given weight/length will be _less_ strong than
    aluminium tube of the same weight. Steel will be less rigid and therefore
    less likely to break, but will need to be heavy enough not to be _too_
    flexible.

  7. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Phil Clarke <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So he's thinking about transfering his bits (XT kit, hand-built
    > wheels) to a new industrial strength frame. He's open minded about
    > the cost.
    > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what
    > frame should he be looking at?

    Tell him to talk to Mercian. They'll custom build him a frame for his size
    and weight and it'll probably cost him less than an "off the shelf" from a
    lot of other manufacturers.

    Or send him to this url http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frame_canyon.asp

    Tom
    --
    Return address is dead. Real address is at
    http://toomanybikes.com/address.jpg

  8. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Phil Clarke wrote:
    > friend of mine is, hmm, approx 22 stone (he's not weeble shaped, he's
    > 6'7") His Scott MTB frame has split. Scott in the UK and US have been
    > pretty crap about it IMHO.
    >
    > So he's thinking about transfering his bits (XT kit, hand-built
    > wheels) to a new industrial strength frame. He's open minded about
    > the cost.
    > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what
    > frame should he be looking at?

    Custom built ? Mercian or Roberts would be my suggestions, about equal
    distances for travel, depends if he prefers a slog up to Mercian or a
    deepest Croyden. I'd estimate that a frame would be £500-£600.
    Roberts certainly make hard-tail MTBs and other things which would suit the
    list of uses mentioned, not sure if Mercian do, but suspect they have
    something.

    Is friend likely to be known to me ? Reply via non-public means if
    appropriate.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  9. Phil Clarke wrote:
    > friend of mine is, hmm, approx 22 stone (he's not weeble shaped, he's
    > 6'7") His Scott MTB frame has split. Scott in the UK and US have been
    > pretty crap about it IMHO.
    >
    > So he's thinking about transfering his bits (XT kit, hand-built wheels)
    > to a new industrial strength frame. He's open minded about the cost.
    >
    > He does some green laning, commuting and pleasure riding. So, what frame
    > should he be looking at?

    What about a Thorn Nomad xxl. It has an additional tube from the head
    tube to halfway up the seat tube and an additional pair of rear stays
    to reduce the flexing found in larger frames. I've not tried one but it
    looks a good solution for a big rider.

    Iain

  10. Phil Clarke

    Phil Clarke Guest

    Nigel Cliffe wrote:

    > Is friend likely to be known to me ?

    Andy, aka. Captain Chaos. Came with us on that trail hack near
    Alton Water. Big guy with more enthusiasm than grace. :)

    works on site.

  11. lwedge

    lwedge New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    Messages:
    1,552
    We have been discussing same issue here. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t326624.html

    Here's some good info as well : http://www.zinncycles.com/

    lw

  12. Phil Clarke

    Phil Clarke Guest

    thanks for advice all. Passed it on ....