Bike-friendly map website??

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Drummakid, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Drummakid

    Drummakid Guest

    Much to my dismay, I just realized that Mapquest.com and Y!maps no longer have an "avoid highways"
    button on their respective sites. Now, as much as I'd *love* to take the NJ turnpike on two wheels,
    I don't think it feasible. Is there some other website out there that has something like the 'avoid
    highways' option? It kinna sucks to have to go buy a ton of maps just to plot a back-roads-only
    route to NJ.

    Or, as an alternative, has anyone here biked from the philly area out to Avalon, NJ, or someplace
    nearby? if so, any and all input is appreciated.

    --Jordan K.

    Tags:

  2. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    Are you a member of AAA? If so they can supply you with all kinds of info and maps to any area you
    are interested in. I just picked up a ton of stuff on the Blue Ridge Parkway, both the Virginia and
    NC areas - all FREE with membership. It's an idea.

    Happy riding:)

    Joel R "DrummaKid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Much to my dismay, I just realized that Mapquest.com and Y!maps no longer have an "avoid highways"
    > button on their respective sites. Now, as much as I'd *love* to take the NJ turnpike on two
    > wheels, I don't think it feasible. Is there some other website out there that has something like
    > the 'avoid highways' option? It kinna sucks to have to go buy a ton of maps just to plot a
    > back-roads-only route to NJ.
    >
    > Or, as an alternative, has anyone here biked from the philly area out to Avalon, NJ, or someplace
    > nearby? if so, any and all input is appreciated.
    >
    > --Jordan K.

  3. Pat Clancy

    Pat Clancy Guest

    Try checking out either the Transportation (DOT) or Environmental Protection (DEP) web sites for
    both Penn. and NJ. Many states offer maps specifically aimed at cyclists to help them identify good
    roads/routes. Here in CT, our DEP has some great, free cycling maps.

    Pat

    [email protected] (DrummaKid) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Much to my dismay, I just realized that Mapquest.com and Y!maps no longer have an "avoid highways"
    > button on their respective sites. Now, as much as I'd *love* to take the NJ turnpike on two
    > wheels, I don't think it feasible. Is there some other website out there that has something like
    > the 'avoid highways' option? It kinna sucks to have to go buy a ton of maps just to plot a
    > back-roads-only route to NJ.
    >
    > Or, as an alternative, has anyone here biked from the philly area out to Avalon, NJ, or someplace
    > nearby? if so, any and all input is appreciated.
    >
    > --Jordan K.

  4. I don't know of a website, but I bought a copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips, and it does a great
    job mapping out my rides, and also creates cue sheets. You can set up in the options that you prefer
    certain types of streets, but what I usually do is go into the speed option and say I'll go 5 on
    freeways and 15 on other roads. It won't put you on the freeway that way.

    The software only cost about 29.95.

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Sharon Bouchonville" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I don't know of a website, but I bought a copy of
    Microsoft Streets and
    > Trips, and it does a great job mapping out my rides, and
    also creates cue
    > sheets. You can set up in the options that you prefer
    certain types of
    > streets, but what I usually do is go into the speed option
    and say I'll go 5
    > on freeways and 15 on other roads. It won't put you on
    the freeway that
    > way.
    >
    > The software only cost about 29.95.

    Cue sheets, eh? Sounds good. By all accounts, Streets is a killer app, really well done.

    Matt O.

  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in news:DZ8ga.6614$FN.3664616 @news2.news.adelphia.net:
    > Cue sheets, eh? Sounds good. By all accounts, Streets is a killer app, really well done.

    I have Microsoft Streets. I find it unusable for bike routes. The main problem is that is only works
    for streets where you can drive cars. That means bike paths, bike bridges, etc. are out, which is a
    big problem if there is no parallel street for the program to match. Also, my area has many street
    intersections that are blocked to cars, but allow bikes. Microsoft hates those as well and instead
    takes you on a convoluted route around them.

    I suppose it will work OK if you're doing a cross country tour and sticking to highways. In suburban
    areas, I didn't find it useable.

  7. Harley

    Harley Guest