Bike Friendly Places to stay

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Caher, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Hi all,
    Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is there a list anywhere of these in the UK?
    Thanks
    Caher

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > Hi all, Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is
    > there a list anywhere of these in the UK?

    The CTC handbook has some bike-friendly places listed---ie places that offer secure storage, a
    drying room, water bottle filling without a look of horror; that sort of stuff. There are also
    accommodation guides for some of the long distance routes if your route uses any of these. Some of
    these routes, the C2C notably, have websites which list accommodation suitable for cyclists. Having
    said that most B&Bs will be bike-friendly, especially if they need your business, as long as you
    don't destroy their parquet flooring with your cleats!

    Colin

  3. Pauline

    Pauline Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > > Hi all, Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is
    > > there a list anywhere of these in the UK?
    >
    > The CTC handbook has some bike-friendly places listed---ie places that offer secure storage, a
    > drying room, water bottle filling without a look of horror; that sort of stuff. There are also
    > accommodation guides for some of the long distance routes if your route uses any of these. Some of
    > these routes, the C2C notably, have websites which list accommodation suitable for cyclists.
    > Having said that most B&Bs will be bike-friendly, especially if they need your business, as long
    > as you don't destroy their parquet flooring with your cleats!
    >
    > Colin

    The Accommodation listing part of the CTC handbook is now on their website, albeit in adobe
    acrobat. We've stayed in a number of B&Bs not in the CTC book and never had a problem even in
    places that aren't used to getting visitors on bikes. They've always offered some kind of fairly
    suitable parking.

  4. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > even in places that aren't used to getting visitors on bikes. They've always offered some kind of
    > fairly suitable parking.

    I always take a pair of normal-person's trousers and shirt, the lighter the better, and a good lock,
    and have never had a problem. I always start with''I have normal clothes to change in to...'' I am
    not apologising for my appearance, merely acknowledging their different taste in clothes.When in
    Rome.After all, my wife complains about my cycling shorts. In some places you may find a more
    enthusiastic welcome.I was once invited to park my bike in the entrance hall of an hotel by an
    ex-professional bmx rider.

    TerryJ

  5. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:00:24 +0950, Caher wrote:

    > Hi all, Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is
    > there a list anywhere of these in the UK? Thanks Caher

    Youth hostels have cycle sheds. Consider staying in some of them as well.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 4 Jun 2003 22:00:24 +0950, Caher <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is there a list
    >anywhere of these in the UK?

    Like the others said: the CTC handbook has a list, and I recommend the YHA in particular.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  7. Thus spake [email protected] (Terry)

    > > even in places that aren't used to getting visitors on bikes. They've always offered some kind
    > > of fairly suitable parking.

    > I always take a pair of normal-person's trousers and shirt, the lighter the better, and a good
    > lock, and have never had a problem. I always start with''I have normal clothes to change in
    > to...'' I am not apologising for my appearance, merely acknowledging their different taste in
    > clothes.When in Rome.After all, my wife complains about my cycling shorts. In some places you may
    > find a more enthusiastic welcome.I was once invited to park my bike in the entrance hall of an
    > hotel by an ex-professional bmx rider.

    One B&B in Scotland allowed us to park our bikes indoors and

    COVERED THE TANDEM WITH A LACE TABLECLOTH!

  8. John B

    John B Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > Thus spake [email protected] (Terry)
    >
    > > > even in places that aren't used to getting visitors on bikes. They've always offered some kind
    > > > of fairly suitable parking.
    >
    > > In some places you may find a more enthusiastic welcome.I was once invited to park my bike in
    > > the entrance hall of an hotel by an ex-professional bmx rider.
    >
    > One B&B in Scotland allowed us to park our bikes indoors and
    >
    > COVERED THE TANDEM WITH A LACE TABLECLOTH!

    Last year on our E2E, also in Scotland, we decided to posh hotel it one night. The bikes had pride
    of place against the top table in the 'Ashgrove Conference Suite', while the tent was laid out over
    the chairs to dry.

    On several other occasions our bikes have been taken into hotel rooms with no problems. if
    anything, the most difficult part is fitting bikes and luggage into the lifts, as they sometimes
    have to be upended.

    John B

  9. John B

    John B Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On 4 Jun 2003 22:00:24 +0950, Caher <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is there a
    > >list anywhere of these in the UK?
    >
    > Like the others said: the CTC handbook has a list, and I recommend the YHA in particular.

    Sometimes cycle sheds at hostels are piled high with old lawnmowers, broken beds and assorted
    ancient furniture. Fitting 20+ bikes into the small shed at Streatley last year was like a jigsaw
    puzzle with bikes even suspended from the ceiling.

    I was at Totland a couple of weeks ago and came across the only hostel I can remember where the
    cycle store has not been lockable. "We don't have a crime problem" was the response when I
    requested the key.

    So always take a good lock anyway.

    John B

  10. Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    [snip]

    > One B&B in Scotland allowed us to park our bikes indoors and
    >
    > COVERED THE TANDEM WITH A LACE TABLECLOTH!

    Pictures ?!

  11. On 4 Jun 2003 22:00:24 +0950, contributor Caher had scribed:
    > Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is there a list
    > anywhere of these in the UK?

    Generally, had not problem, the worst is 'around the back', the best is in garage, quite often they
    go in the shed. When booking, always mention you are arriving by bicycle and ask in there is
    anywhere to keep it/them.

    Some stories - one place in Lewis advised locking the bikes behind the hotel in case any patrons had
    a notion of transport home, theft wasn't then problem but borrow without permission was common
    place. One night, north of Lairg on the Altnaharra road, the bicycles shared the shed with hotel
    power supply, the diesel generator as the hotel didn't have mains electric, so it must have been
    secure. One B&B owner, near Lochinver, the landlady told us we were 'wimps' for carrying to much
    (mainly non-cycling clothes, maps and tools/spares), she and her husband were keen cyclists in the
    Central Belt in earlier years. One place, where we visited on three separate occasions, in
    Inverness, the bike shared a shed with various plumbers fittings belonging to the son of the
    landlady, the good bit was the availability of hand degreaser should repairs/adjustments be
    necessary before leaving civilisation!

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

  12. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    Gary Knighton wrote:

    > On 4 Jun 2003 22:00:24 +0950, contributor Caher had scribed:
    > > Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is there a
    > > list anywhere of these in the UK?
    > >

    > Generally, had not problem, the worst is 'around the back', the best is in garage, quite often
    > they go in the shed. When booking, always mention you are arriving by bicycle and ask in there is
    > anywhere to keep it/them.
    One of my pet peeves is the B&B keeper who says, when I mention locking the bikes to fixed objects,
    "Oh, it's quite safe round here, you don't need to lock them!"

    It's easy for them to say that, they often have no idea of the cost of a couple of decent touring
    bikes, or the grief and hassle involved in having them stolen on tour.

    I have sometimes mused about printing up a "claimer" for the B&B owner to sign, promising to take
    full responsibility for the bikes and agreeing to reimburse me for their full value in the event of
    loss or damage.

    In real life I just mutter something about it being a condition of the insurance cover and I would
    prefer to lock them up just to be sure.

    Mike

  13. Caher wrote in message ...
    > Are B and B's generally bike-friendly (i.e. a place to store your bike safely) and is there a list
    > anywhere of these in the UK?

    If there's no list you can start by adding us. When we get visiting cyclists we lock them in a
    secure garage. The bikes that is ... not the owners :~)

    We're right on the edge of the Wareham forest, Dorset, an ace cycling area, even through the
    Forest itself.

    Regards ... Pete. http://www.organford-tearooms.com/