bike front end seems to shake at speed

closesupport

Banned
Jul 18, 2004
Does anyone have any ideas to what might be causing it to shake, could it be down to me being off balance, wheel balancing, headset tension etc??? i'm lost here and was quite scared at the time?:confused: :eek:

closesupport said:
Does anyone have any ideas to what might be causing it to shake, could it be down to me being off balance, wheel balancing, headset tension etc??? i'm lost here and was quite scared at the time?:confused: :eek:

maybe there is some play in the axle/bearing or the quick release is not tightend enough?

From what I've heard, it's "normal" for bikes to start to wobble after a certain speed (although that differs from bike to bike). While there may be some problems with the wheels, etc, the best thing to do is clamp the frame between your legs (you will probably find it hard to go faster though as you can't pedal) and loosening up your grip on the handlebars.

If you type "bicycle/bike wobble" AND "high speeds," in google or the search here, you'll find at least several answers.

closesupport said:
make sure your tyres are fully inflated and your tubes are seated properly:)

Is your bike new? Check for what the other guys said first. If your bike is new and your not used to the handling of it, you might find your frame has too much flex. I had a custom frame built once. It was like a coke can. I would get speed wobbles at high speed, and it would flick me off line whilst going through corners!

what kind of tires are you using? i had a similar problem which was solved by changing tires.

closesupport said:
How much of your weight is over the front wheel? Perhaps your body weight is not distributed ideally, and this is causing the shake.

li0scc0 said:
How much of your weight is over the front wheel? Perhaps your body weight is not distributed ideally, and this is causing the shake.
i have a 100mm easton 0% with scoop bars and tri bars, i was sat back on the seat if i recal but i have noticed that it is doing pretty much the same thing when i brake lightly with the front brake it feels like it has become unstable and thus wobbling, hopefully i can correct it before spring :D i'm thinking that maybe the headset bearings need changing and the headset pressing tighter.

but saying that it could be the tyres, since they are spares of my training wheels, maybe i should just try to remain under 50mph since i have no problems there.

when aero bladed spokes loosen and twist out of position could they cause it to shake since they wouldn't cut the air as they are mean't too???