Bike Glove suggestions??

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
Hello all....
Over the last few months I've been suffering more and more with a pain between my Thumb and fore finger...and across my Palms...in other words, where my Road Bike Handle Bars come into contact...

I have Carbon Forks, spendy Gel tape...so I'm covered there...

I am currently using Pearl Izumi Gel fingerless gloves, my last pair were Ascenti or something...both $35-40...so they weren't cheap gloves...

Please help, any suggestions?? I was in so much pain today on my 35 mile ride I rode as fast as I could to get back home again asap...

At least my Cardio and Legs benefitted.... :eek:

Jaguar27 said:
Hello all....
Over the last few months I've been suffering more and more with a pain between my Thumb and fore finger...and across my Palms...in other words, where my Road Bike Handle Bars come into contact...

I have Carbon Forks, spendy Gel tape...so I'm covered there...

I am currently using Pearl Izumi Gel fingerless gloves, my last pair were Ascenti or something...both $35-40...so they weren't cheap gloves...

Please help, any suggestions?? I was in so much pain today on my 35 mile ride I rode as fast as I could to get back home again asap...

At least my Cardio and Legs benefitted.... :eek:

I rode w/ the same Pearl Izumi gloves and found that they broke down and lost comfort fairly quickly. I just switched to Specialized Pro Somethingorothers (one of their Body Geometry offspring...about $30/pr), and they are significantly more comfortable than the P.I.s.

I have the nike swoosh gloves, which are great except when i step up the training i also find some pain in that area.

Just thought i'de warn u, to steer clear of these gloves if thats a particular problem for you

Rollo

KakenBetaal said:
Maybe this is a bike fitting problem rather than a glove problem?

My thoughts exactly...that much pain and I'd be looking seriously at the angle of the wrist in the most frequent riding position and how much weight was being carried by the hands.

alienator said:
I rode w/ the same Pearl Izumi gloves and found that they broke down and lost comfort fairly quickly. I just switched to Specialized Pro Somethingorothers (one of their Body Geometry offspring...about $30/pr), and they are significantly more comfortable than the P.I.s.

Thanks for the Follow up Alienator, I'll give them a try!!

:)

Rollo said:
I have the nike swoosh gloves, which are great except when i step up the training i also find some pain in that area.

Just thought i'de warn u, to steer clear of these gloves if thats a particular problem for you

Rollo

Thanks Rollo, this is the kinda Tip I was looking for, I'll steer clear of those...

Brunswick_kate said:
My thoughts exactly...that much pain and I'd be looking seriously at the angle of the wrist in the most frequent riding position and how much weight was being carried by the hands.

Thanks Kate, looks like I'll have to go and get professionaly fitted, I've owned and ridden this Bike for around 5 months and 1000 miles, approx..the problem only started a few weeks ago...it was really bad yesterday but not so bad today, but certainly really uncomfy...

But thanks for the reply
:)

My question is how do the sponsored elite-pros manage to ride for hours each day, for months on end, using some of the lame sponsor gloves which have minimum padding. I guess it just shows what kind of animals these guys really are.

puma said:
My question is how do the sponsored elite-pros manage to ride for hours each day, for months on end, using some of the lame sponsor gloves which have minimum padding. I guess it just shows what kind of animals these guys really are.

Their bikes fit them and they're not trying to rectify "fit problems" with a bit of padding. And don't forget that too much padding can make the problem much worse, much like gel seats can exacerbate saddle problems instead of making it betterl.

Brunswick_kate said:
Their bikes fit them and they're not trying to rectify "fit problems" with a bit of padding. And don't forget that too much padding can make the problem much worse, much like gel seats can exacerbate saddle problems instead of making it betterl.

No doubt that their bikes are perfect fits and equiped with very comfortable components, and too much padding or the wrong padding can be an issue, and that most elites are minimalists. But I still find it highly doubious that their hands (excluding most every other part of their body) don't take a beating. And hand pain goes beyond just the obvius blisters and pressures, I know that when I climb for a few minutes standing, I begin to have blood circulation issues in my hands. It may just be that I'm putting to much weight forward down on little hoods, but the elites must suffer from comparable issues, issues we can't even cognize.

puma said:
No doubt that their bikes are perfect fits and equiped with very comfortable components, and too much padding or the wrong padding can be an issue, and that most elites are minimalists. But I still find it highly doubious that their hands (excluding most every other part of their body) don't take a beating. And hand pain goes beyond just the obvius blisters and pressures, I know that when I climb for a few minutes standing, I begin to have blood circulation issues in my hands. It may just be that I'm putting to much weight forward down on little hoods, but the elites must suffer from comparable issues, issues we can't even cognize.

Oh, don't get me wrong...I think most pro cyclists are masochists and have incredible pain tolerances and I couldn't last 10 mins at it.

I've been riding for 30 some odd years and I've always experienced at least some pain. I've found that some gloves like P.I. Gel lites for instance are only good when I ride one of my 3 bikes...my Campy bike as a matter of fact, and they hurt like hell with Shimano STI levers. I'm always trying out different gloves...watch for those $20 sales...in search of the perfect glove and I don't think I'll ever find them. My advice is to always be mindful of your position, and try to change hand position frequently. Recently I found I was favoring my left side, since I developed a small muscle pain above the knee and that hand was always getting numb...so I started to really try to balance my body and force myself to compensate to my right side and voila, I noticed and improvement after 2 or 3 rides. Your form is SO important and if you're like me you need to remind yourself to be conscious about it. The bike fit question is valid, but I think that some pain is inevitable and just a reminder to keep on form.

tonepad said:
I've been riding for 30 some odd years and I've always experienced at least some pain. I've found that some gloves like P.I. Gel lites for instance are only good when I ride one of my 3 bikes...my Campy bike as a matter of fact, and they hurt like hell with Shimano STI levers. I'm always trying out different gloves...watch for those $20 sales...in search of the perfect glove and I don't think I'll ever find them. My advice is to always be mindful of your position, and try to change hand position frequently. Recently I found I was favoring my left side, since I developed a small muscle pain above the knee and that hand was always getting numb...so I started to really try to balance my body and force myself to compensate to my right side and voila, I noticed and improvement after 2 or 3 rides. Your form is SO important and if you're like me you need to remind yourself to be conscious about it. The bike fit question is valid, but I think that some pain is inevitable and just a reminder to keep on form.
After you get professionally fitted to your bike, pick up a pair of Assos gloves. They fit great, are well designed and generously padded, and will last a long time. I never get on the bike without'em!