Bike gloves or not? Century or not?

Michael Emerald

Guest
Hi guys. GLOVES OR NOT? I've been doing my bike rides this
season without gloves, but am doing a fast century this
Sunday. I can't decide whether to wear gloves or not. On the
one hand (no pun intended!), it's just one more
complication, but on the other hand, it helps with handling,
particularly if my hands get sweaty. What do you think?
they'll be a lot of people, so I won't be using aerobars.

CENTURY OR METRIC? While I'm here, I'll ask you advice on
another question. I'm new to tri this year, and will be
doing Olympic distance by year end. I like to do bike events
with my friends though. Should I be doing centuries? Or
should I stick to metrics (62 miles)? On the one hand (there
I go again) I can easily handle the endurance required, but
on the other hand, it detracts from my swimming and running
training while I'm building to century distance. What do you
think? I've been cycling for years.

Justin seven

> "Michael Emerald" wrote: [snipped]
GLOVES OR NOT?...I've been doing my bike rides this season
without gloves, but am doing a fast century this Sunday.<

If you haven't been training with gloves, then don't wear
them in the race.

> CENTURY OR METRIC?...I'm new to tri this year, and will be
> doing Olympic
distance by year end.<

IMO, velocity at lactate threshold is the primary
determinant for success in Olympic (and sprint) distance
races. 62 miles is plenty for your long ride. You can work
it a little harder, and recover much faster. It will help
you to make you're threshold rides, swims, and tempo runs
will be much more productive. Same strategy with your long
runs...1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hour max.

Good luck!

Okay, I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon on August 29. I have
no idea what I'm doing, so my question is: do I need a
wetsuit...or will a swimsuit be fine for this time of year?

Thanks! Mary

Okay, I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon on August 29. I have
no idea what I'm doing, so my question is: do I need a
wetsuit...or will a swimsuit be fine for this time of year?

Thanks! Mary

> [email protected]> wrote: [snipped]
...I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon on August 29...do I need
a wetsuit...or will a swimsuit be fine? Thanks! Mary <

Sorry Mary, I don't know anything about the Chicago
Triathlon. But wetsuits are permitted in all USAT events
when the water temperature is 78 degrees or colder. If the
water temp is in the mid 70's, and you can complete the swim
within 30-40 minutes, then you should be comfortable with
just a swimsuit. You'll be able to swim much faster,
however, with a wetsuit. Just be sure to practice changing
out of it or you'll end up with a really slow transition
time! Sleeveless wetsuits are comfortable when the water is
warmer than the upper 60's. If its colder than that, use a
full wetsuit. Good Luck!

On Thu, 13 May 2004 15:33:03 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>Okay, I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon on August 29. I have
>no idea what I'm doing, so my question is: do I need a
>wetsuit...or will a swimsuit be fine for this time of year?
>
>Thanks! Mary
When I lived in Chicago, I used to swim in Lake Michigan
regularly without a wetsuit. In August, the water will
still be cooler than your local pool, but definitely
swimmable. However, a wetsuit should shorten your swim time
enough that I'd still recommend wearing one.

you will neeed a wetsuit.

Last yr almost every person I saw had one.

Gloves are a good idea.

1) They reduce the shock leading into the hand and reduce
the risk of hand numbness
2) They protect your hands in case of a crash

"Michael Emerald" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi guys. GLOVES OR NOT? I've been doing my bike rides this
> season without gloves, but am doing a fast century this
> Sunday. I can't decide whether to wear gloves or not. On
> the one hand (no pun intended!), it's just one more
> complication, but on the other hand, it helps with
> handling, particularly if my hands get sweaty. What do you
> think? they'll be a lot of people, so I won't be using
> aerobars.
>
> CENTURY OR METRIC? While I'm here, I'll ask you advice on
> another question. I'm new to tri this year, and will be
> doing Olympic distance by year end. I like to do bike
> events with my friends though. Should I be doing
> centuries? Or should I stick to metrics (62 miles)? On the
> one hand (there I go again) I can easily handle the
> endurance required, but on the other hand, it detracts
> from my swimming and running training while I'm building
> to century distance. What do you think? I've been cycling
> for years.
>
> Justin seven

The water is warm enough not to wear one, but cold enough so
that they will be allowed. It's up to you what you prefer.
90% of the people in the race wear one.

Brandon

> Okay, I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon on August 29. I
> have no idea what I'm doing, so my question is: do I
> need a wetsuit...or will a swimsuit be fine for this
> time of year?
>
> Thanks! Mary

Hi Mary I am registered for the Chicago triathlon myself.
This is my first year doing triathlons but when August comes
I will have completed 2. I am going to wear a wetsuit. I
hear lake Michigan is cold. What event did you sign up for
Sprint, Olympic?

Nicole

LOL, back in 1985, none of us wore wet suits ...... surface
water temp in Chicago that day in August was in the 70s.

Tell ya what, here is what I've learned over the years from
swimming in Lake Michigan, on the west side of the lake. If
the wind is from the east, the water will be warm, the wind
forces the warm surface water to the shoreline. If the wind
is from the west, it will be COLD, the wind forces the warm
surface water away from the shoreline. Because of the
unpredictability of the surface water temp, I'd have a wet
suit hady.

The first tri I did, the half mile swim in Lake Michigan,
was cut from a half mile to a quarter mile because the
surface water temp was 57 degrees! This was back in the good
old days, wet suits were for scuba divers and surfers. I
didn't thaw out until 10 miles into the 18 mile bike.

Mark

[email protected] wrote in message news:<Pine.HPX.4.53-
[email protected]>...
> Okay, I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon on August 29. I
> have no idea what I'm doing, so my question is: do I
> need a wetsuit...or will a swimsuit be fine for this
> time of year?
>
> Thanks! Mary

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (M Kochanski) wrote:

> Tell ya what, here is what I've learned over the years
> from swimming in Lake Michigan, on the west side of the
> lake. If the wind is from the east, the water will be
> warm, the wind forces the warm surface water to the
> shoreline. If the wind is from the west, it will be COLD,
> the wind forces the warm surface water away from the
> shoreline. . .

and the cold water upwells from the depths. The same thing
happens in the Atlantic, where I've seen a 10-15 degree F
drop in temp in 24 hours with a strong west wind (from about
72 down to the high 50s). It can warm up just as fast when
that east wind blows in the gulf stream.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Th-
en it was every other day. . . ."
- Homer J. Simpson

> GLOVES OR NOT?

The best reason to wear gloves is in the event you hit the
pavement you will put your hand out to protect yourself
and the gloves protect your hand. A good reason I think to
wear gloves.

tom