Bike hand pumps

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Mark, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi guys, I need some advice on a pump that I can carry on my bike.
    Is a guage necessary? I do have a good foot pump with guage?
    I saw a carbon pump (CarbOne) on www.ProBikeKit.com for about $50.00
    delivered, how does this compare to LBS prices and is it better to just get
    an alloy pump instead of carbon?

    Thanks guys.

    Tags:

  2. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Mark> Hi guys, I need some advice on a pump that I can carry on my
    Mark> bike. Is a guage necessary? I do have a good foot pump with
    Mark> guage? I saw a carbon pump (CarbOne) on www.ProBikeKit.com
    Mark> for about $50.00 delivered, how does this compare to LBS
    Mark> prices and is it better to just get an alloy pump instead of
    Mark> carbon?

    I guess it depends on what you want out of the pump you're carrying with
    you. Do you want one that will get your tire back up to optimal
    pressure, or are you satisfied with sub-optimal pressure which will at
    least get you home?

    I use a Topeak Road Morph and while it's a bit big for the weight
    conscious I reckon it's worth it. Riding 300kms a week, much of it in
    urban condition, I get far too many punctures and the ability to pump my
    tires back to 120 at the side of the road is very nice.

    Identify your priorities and the rest should take care of itself.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  3. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Euan wrote:

    > I guess it depends on what you want out of the pump you're
    > carrying with you.

    I always used to carry a Zefal HP-X on the bike - a thumping big I can inflate anything pump. Recently though, I've taken to carrying a teensy little Topeak Pocket Rocket DX pump in my jersey pocket. It's purely for looks only. I know full well that when I get a flat, it'll be a complete failure, but it reassures me anyway. Hopefully when I do get a puncture (haven't had one in ages), I'll be with someone who's got a real pump.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  4. DeF

    DeF Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > Euan wrote:
    >
    >> I guess it depends on what you want out of the pump you're
    >> carrying with you.

    > I always used to carry a Zefal HP-X on the bike - a thumping big I can
    > inflate anything pump. Recently though, I've taken to carrying a
    > teensy little Topeak Pocket Rocket DX pump in my jersey pocket. It's
    > purely for looks only. I know full well that when I get a flat, it'll
    > be a complete failure, but it reassures me anyway. Hopefully when I do
    > get a puncture (haven't had one in ages), I'll be with someone who's got
    > a real pump.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy

    For a while, I carried a little "sapo" pump:
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1045
    Sure enough, after about an hour on the Munda Biddi
    here in Perth, I got a flat (on the short sealed
    section, natch). The thing was bloody useless.
    I couldn't get it to seal around the valve.
    Fortunately, my cycling companion had a pump,
    a chrome plated Blumels steel model, complete with
    floppy connector. Any other time someone, I would
    have laughed if someone pulled one of these things
    but it saved the bike ride.

    Speaking of Munda Biddi, we're doing some more this
    weekend - thunder, rain, lightening and 35 deg forecast.
    Perfect cycling and camping weather.

    DeF

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

  5. Euan

    Euan Guest

    suzyj> Hopefully when I do get a puncture (haven't had one in ages),

    Arrrggghhhh, you've just summoned the puncture fairies!!!!
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  6. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    The crank brothers ones look pretty sweet, anyone got one? I saw em on ebay for ok money. The ebay seller geargurl is in fact the same bunch at 3ringcycles.com and they have good aus shipping.

    till

  7. jim

    jim Guest

    I've done THE road-test on this ... the slow and painfully expensive way. I
    have a Surface track pump at home (v.good) and four mini pumps

    - Three of them are dripping with innovations and design quirks - and
    (consequently?) are totally crud in the fit-for-purpose stakes!!!!! Topeak,
    Rav-X and another that escapes me at the moment.

    - I am now using a Genuine Innovations mini pump and have been very
    impressed. It will easily get to 100+psi - easily adequate to cart home
    even at my 90kg robustness. The seal on the valve (where others have proven
    wanting) is great. It has not been 'finessed' with unnecessary tweakery.
    It has a hollow handle to store glueless patches. The one possible drawback
    is that it sacrifices cylinder width for length and, being longer than the
    average mini, may drop out of shallow jersey pockets - although I have not
    had this happen yet.

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi guys, I need some advice on a pump that I can carry on my bike.
    > Is a guage necessary? I do have a good foot pump with guage?
    > I saw a carbon pump (CarbOne) on www.ProBikeKit.com for about $50.00
    > delivered, how does this compare to LBS prices and is it better to just
    > get an alloy pump instead of carbon?
    >
    > Thanks guys.

  8. hgoh

    hgoh Guest

    jim wrote:
    > <snipped>
    >
    > - I am now using a Genuine Innovations mini pump and have been very
    > impressed. It will easily get to 100+psi - easily adequate to cart home
    > even at my 90kg robustness. The seal on the valve (where others have proven
    > wanting) is great. It has not been 'finessed' with unnecessary tweakery.
    > It has a hollow handle to store glueless patches. The one possible drawback
    > is that it sacrifices cylinder width for length and, being longer than the
    > average mini, may drop out of shallow jersey pockets - although I have not
    > had this happen yet.
    > <snipped>

    Is this the Genuine Innovations "Road Air" pump? There isn't even any
    info about it on their website but I saw it in the LBS and thought it
    looked like good value - solid construction and not very expensive.
    I've heard that "long and thin" will get to 100+psi much more easily
    than "short and stumpy" so I was thinking of trying this pump out.

  9. DeF

    DeF Guest

    hgoh wrote:
    > jim wrote:
    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >> - I am now using a Genuine Innovations mini pump and have been very
    >> impressed. It will easily get to 100+psi - easily adequate to cart home
    >> even at my 90kg robustness. The seal on the valve (where others have proven
    >> wanting) is great. It has not been 'finessed' with unnecessary tweakery.
    >> It has a hollow handle to store glueless patches. The one possible drawback
    >> is that it sacrifices cylinder width for length and, being longer than the
    >> average mini, may drop out of shallow jersey pockets - although I have not
    >> had this happen yet.
    >> <snipped>

    > Is this the Genuine Innovations "Road Air" pump? There isn't even any
    > info about it on their website but I saw it in the LBS and thought it
    > looked like good value - solid construction and not very expensive.
    > I've heard that "long and thin" will get to 100+psi much more easily
    > than "short and stumpy" so I was thinking of trying this pump out.

    "Long and thin" will get the higher pressure. Pressure = force/area
    and the force is the maximum you can push. Thus, smaller area (ie
    a thinner pump) will give you a higher pressure. The trade off is
    that the volume of air you pump is smaller. This can be an issue
    with MTB tires, not so much with 23mm 700c tires.

    I've got thin pumps on my road bikes and a double action, slightly
    wider pump on my MTB/Commuter bike. Can't remember any of the
    brands at the moment...

    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

  10. jim

    jim Guest

    Yes to Road Air

    "hgoh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > jim wrote:
    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >> - I am now using a Genuine Innovations mini pump and have been very
    >> impressed. It will easily get to 100+psi - easily adequate to cart home
    >> even at my 90kg robustness. The seal on the valve (where others have
    >> proven
    >> wanting) is great. It has not been 'finessed' with unnecessary tweakery.
    >> It has a hollow handle to store glueless patches. The one possible
    >> drawback
    >> is that it sacrifices cylinder width for length and, being longer than
    >> the
    >> average mini, may drop out of shallow jersey pockets - although I have
    >> not
    >> had this happen yet.
    >> <snipped>

    > Is this the Genuine Innovations "Road Air" pump? There isn't even any
    > info about it on their website but I saw it in the LBS and thought it
    > looked like good value - solid construction and not very expensive.
    > I've heard that "long and thin" will get to 100+psi much more easily
    > than "short and stumpy" so I was thinking of trying this pump out.

  11. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004

    Gauge not necessary. Pump till tyre hard to squeeze. Can always put more in if soft to ride. Personally wouldnt bother with carbon. Weight diff is about 2 gulps of water.

    Bought a "Serfas Grifter Mini Foot Pump" from Cecil Walker about a year ago on recomendation from this group. Very good pump, fold out piece to stand on, fold out hand grip and a hidden 100mm air hose so less risk of damaging presta valves. Its light and has a good holder that fits under bottle cage screws.

    Currently not listed at CW but Google the Web and you will see plenty of references.

    Cheers
    Hugh

  12. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    I use and love this
    http://www.quickex.com/
    (click Quicker Pro Stationary)

    It makes it V easy to get up to 100 psi (as far as I go).

    Even my wife can do it fairly easily :)

    Scotty

  13. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    I was eyeing a Genuine Innovations floor pump at the LBS yesterday. I really need a proper pump at home. I know this has been thrown around before, but I'm going to bring it up again. Silca? Genuine Innovations? What's worth the dollars?

  14. Mark wrote:
    > Hi guys, I need some advice on a pump that I can carry on my bike.

    Where do you want to carry it?
    And what do you do with your bike?

    FWIIW, I have a Zefal hi-pressure pump that goes under the top tube.
    Really great for gwetting the tyre back up to 100psi out on the road.
    Major PITA as I rum 2.25": tyres atm, and it is a thin model.

    The problem with the under top tube position is when you want to carry
    your bike up a slope, e.g. creek bank, or sling it over a gate.

    > Is a guage necessary? I do have a good foot pump with guage?

    No, you can learn to estimate your tyre pressure by pumping up your tyre
    and testing with thumb or bouncing the wheel/bike.

    Eventually, you'll also learn to equate number of hand pump strokes with
    pressure.

    > I saw a carbon pump (CarbOne) on www.ProBikeKit.com for about $50.00
    > delivered, how does this compare to LBS prices and is it better to just get
    > an alloy pump instead of carbon?

    Just buy a good quality steel pump.

  15. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].com.au...
    > Mark wrote:
    >> Hi guys, I need some advice on a pump that I can carry on my bike.

    > Where do you want to carry it?
    > And what do you do with your bike?
    >
    > FWIIW, I have a Zefal hi-pressure pump that goes under the top tube.
    > Really great for gwetting the tyre back up to 100psi out on the road.
    > Major PITA as I rum 2.25": tyres atm, and it is a thin model.

    <snippage>

    You run 100psi in 2¼" tyre? Which tyres are they?

  16. Resound wrote:
    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected].com.au...
    >
    >>Mark wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi guys, I need some advice on a pump that I can carry on my bike.

    >>Where do you want to carry it?
    >>And what do you do with your bike?
    >>
    >>FWIIW, I have a Zefal hi-pressure pump that goes under the top tube.
    >>Really great for gwetting the tyre back up to 100psi out on the road.
    >>Major PITA as I rum 2.25": tyres atm, and it is a thin model.

    > <snippage>
    >
    > You run 100psi in 2¼" tyre? Which tyres are they?

    Naah, I've always ran 100psi in 1.25" which was when I had the floor
    pump working. The hand pump would bring they res back up to that on the
    road if needed.

    when I shifted to the mtb, I originally started the 1.75" at 100 psi.
    Now I settle for rock hard because the floor pump broke

    Cheng Shing/Sheng. I'll check. LBS cheapies.

    Actually it does vary with the 2.25" between "woops -too soft and my
    arms are too tired from pumping.

    The trick with fatties at high pressure is to make absolutely sure that
    tyre is seated on rim very evenly and stays that way as you pump it. If
    it shifts, then your stuffed and you need to deflate and start again.

    Which reminds me that I still have to fix the floor pump. Base broke and
    it isn't weldable (too much funny metal), so I have to make a
    replacement base plate. Hmm, do I wannna do this as a rainy day project.
    Naah.

  17. jim

    jim Guest

    "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].com.au...

    > Just buy a good quality steel pump.

    I have found that it is not the material that the cylinder is made of that
    makes a pump fit-for-purpose but how tight the fits on the valve shank is

    Also needs to be light - so surely steel is contraindicated?

  18. Resound wrote:
    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > You run 100psi in 2¼" tyre? Which tyres are they?

    Okay, update as I fixed the Silca pump and used it on the bike.

    Oh dear, I've been shop slothing at ~15psi according to pump gauge.

    So I pumped the tyre to 55psi.
    They are an IRC MTB Super 8 from what I can read.
    Says inflate 40-50 which is harder than my firm finger test.
    So, I can safely say that I've never had these anywhere near 100 psi.

    but the pump says Zefal - HP and it easily does 100 psi into 1.25" tubes.

    OTOH, if you have big pecks and want a workout, you might look at the
    Zefal -MTB. (Volume, but no pressure)

  19. jim wrote:
    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected].com.au...
    >
    >>Just buy a good quality steel pump.

    > I have found that it is not the material that the cylinder is made of that
    > makes a pump fit-for-purpose but how tight the fits on the valve shank is
    >
    > Also needs to be light - so surely steel is contraindicated?

    YMMV. I feel that a cylinder of thin wall steel is better at resisting
    kinking that a cylinder of thin walled aluminium.

    I doubt if there is significant weight difference between an aluminium
    pump and a steel pump anyway.

    Anyway, my Zefal-HP has;
    aluminium outer body,
    steel inner shaft,
    steel springs
    plastic grip
    plastic guides
    "alloy" (hi magnesium?) moudled valve fitting and lever
    plastic "bolt" and,
    rubber washer.

  20. scotty72 wrote:
    > Mark Wrote:
    > > Hi guys, I need some advice on a pump that I can carry on my bike.
    > > Is a guage necessary? I do have a good foot pump with guage?
    > > I saw a carbon pump (CarbOne) on 'www.ProBikeKit.com'
    > > (http://www.probikekit.com/) for about $50.00
    > > delivered, how does this compare to LBS prices and is it better to just
    > > get
    > > an alloy pump instead of carbon?
    > >
    > > Thanks guys.

    > I use and love this
    > http://www.quickex.com/
    > (click Quicker Pro Stationary)
    >
    > It makes it V easy to get up to 100 psi (as far as I go).
    >
    > Even my wife can do it fairly easily :)

    Hey, cool! Looks kinda dorky, but it could work.

    How reliable is it -- how long have you had it so far?

    Much of a pain to transplant onto different bikes?

    Is the mounting solid?

    I might be after one of these -- another flat this morning, from a
    broken valve stem. Possibly because it was the spare in my saddle bag
    fo however months, or possibly because of the way I have to force the
    damn pump I already have -- wouldn't mind getting something with a
    retractable tube.

    Posting from google froups because I seem to have b0rked the internet
    again.

    --
    TimC
    Some witty text here