Bike hard cases for traveling

genedoc

Aug 15, 2006
I'm heading to Colorado in September for some riding with my old team and possibly a stage race, then Moab next April, and France next summer for rides around the TdF. I want to take my own bike, so I thought I'd look into a hard bike case. Does anyone have any knowledge about which to get and if any are more or less acceptable to airlines - though I will probably ship the bike to Colorado, I'd still like to get a case.

Can one rent them?

genedoc said:
I'm heading to Colorado in September for some riding with my old team and possibly a stage race, then Moab next April, and France next summer for rides around the TdF. I want to take my own bike, so I thought I'd look into a hard bike case. Does anyone have any knowledge about which to get and if any are more or less acceptable to airlines - though I will probably ship the bike to Colorado, I'd still like to get a case.

Can one rent them?

I purchased this guy from performancebike.com: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23864&subcategory_ID=4415

It was on sale, and I was moving to Korea from Indiana. I took Northwest and it was free. No damages on mine. Contact your airline. When I showed up at the airport with a big ass box, employees at the airport were making bets.

Best luck,

Soo-re

sooray02 said:
I purchased this guy from performancebike.com: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23864&subcategory_ID=4415

It was on sale, and I was moving to Korea from Indiana. I took Northwest and it was free. No damages on mine. Contact your airline. When I showed up at the airport with a big ass box, employees at the airport were making bets.

Best luck,

Soo-re
Thanks. I think that's the same box they sell on e-bay for a few $ less, but more in shipping. I'd like one that will last a while. What did you think of the quality? It seems ot be made with ABS plastic rather than some of the fnacier plastics on the more expensive brands.

It was my first hard case. So, I don't have any experience but my own and also never seen any other cases. I wouldn't stand on top of it, but it took the beating quite well. I changed the flight three times and it held up. Yes, the plastic was sort of thin I thought. Though, it got the job done. I can't say it's superb but much better than a thick cardboard box.