Bike helmets are awesome!

Originally Posted by Locoverde .

The helemt doesn't look like it did much of anything. There is a crack and the plastic shell has been deformed. I don't see much compression of the styrofoam. It might have prevented some scratches to your head but that's about it.

I'm wondering why you crashed. Really, most cyclist would be a lot safer if they learned to ride safely in traffic. Helmets give siuch a false sense of security. That's one of the reasons i don't wear one.

Loco
It takes energy to crack/deform the plastic and foam--energy that was dissipated before it got to the skull. Helmets help protect your noggin from things that are out of your control. It doesn't take much of a hit from a car to send a cyclist flying, perhaps into a signpost or guardrail, and those things often happen faster than the rider can get their arms up to protect their head.

I hope you don't get a Darwin award!

Had my first crash last Saturday.Split the foam at the center of the helmet.Did an endo from a front tire failure.Hurt like the devil today but it's all soft tissue injury. Not 30 minutes before the crash I saw a group of 12 kid's from a summer camp.All had helmets on there ride but one kid decided to be "cool " and had it almost turned sideways.

Originally Posted by americandream .

People are such bad drivers. Can't stand them.
this is true, we'd have less need for them if drivers were not so aggressive.