Bike I.D.

powinc

New Member
Nov 2, 2003
What's the best way to positively identify your own bike?

I engraved my son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and on the head stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie.

Are there more astatic ways of marking one's own bike??

powinc

Just a couple of ideas (not sure if feasible):

1. Security companies use a special pen to write info like the driver's licence on goods. The writing is almost invisible but the ink will light up with UV.

2. HSV uses a similar technology (I think) on their cars. They call it DNA.

Hope this provides some clue to start with.

Cheers,
Amir.

Originally posted by powinc
What's the best way to positively identify your own bike?

I engraved my son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and on the head stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie.

Are there more astatic ways of marking one's own bike??

powinc

Originally posted by powinc
What's the best way to positively identify your own bike?
I engraved my son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and on the head stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie.
Are there more astatic ways of marking one's own bike??
powinc

A personal fave of mine is to make your bike as weird or unappealing as possible to thieves.

Another alternative is to contact your local neighbourhood watch, who should be able to engrave a license no. prefixed with a state letter under the bottom bracket.
http://www.neighbourhoodwatch.com.au

If you check the above website for Victoria you will see its "Mark it in March" month.

Originally posted by powinc
What's the best way to positively identify your own bike?

I engraved my son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and on the head stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie.

Are there more astatic ways of marking one's own bike??

powinc

I saw something in this month's Bicycle Victoria magazine that was basically some sort of transmitter that you put down the seat-tube. Im not sure how its activated but the idea is that you can identify your bike (and im guessing here but possibly find out where it is) through this transmitter.

It's not heavy and it wasn't expensive... I will look up the details tonight if i remember... unless anyone else knows what im talking about?

Cheers,
Troy

What about some sort of medium-powered transmitter that
sends a specially-coded beacon on a certain VHF/UHF
frequency? Send it using code division to enhance the range
of the device.

It could be designed so that if it hasn't received an
"unlocking code" from a device that you carry with you, for
a certain number of hours (12? 24?) then it starts
transmitting its signal, which should be detectable.

Have it installed inside your frame so that it uses the
frame as an antenna, and possibly have it inductively