Bike Indicators

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by hsmith81, Nov 6, 2009.

1. hsmith81

hsmith81 New Member

Hi folks,
    i've just taken up cycling to and from work to get fit and save some petrol as well.
    I'm from the UK and the nights are drawing in here. Poor visibility and rush hour traffic are not ideal for a safe ride I must admit...
    Just wondering if anyone rates any indicators and whether they are worth looking into purchasing to improve safety and visibility...

Any thoughts...

Harry

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

You might want to look into the legality of that, over here it's only recently that any kind of blinking lights became legal to have on a bike. Turn indicators are still a definite no-no, for the same reason as a horn isn't bike/road legal over here.

I've seen some kits, but they've all been aimed at the "toy" market, and not for bikes actually getting ridden in traffic.

A friend of mine use a pair neon yellow gloves also having reflecting stripes on them and use the regular hand signals. When I remember I use snap-on reflective straps around my wrists. They stand out fairly well too.

3. dgreen_gb

dgreen_gb New Member

Have just seen this post...
    What might be of interest would be a Turn Signal patent developed in the UK...
    [email protected] original document

Basically an indicator attached to the arm, activated by a touch sensitive switch which utilises a bright amber light...

Not sure if it will catch on or not...