Bike info required

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James Hodson, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    Hi all

    A friend of mine from Gloucestershire has asked me about two models of bicycles. He didn't give me
    too many details so you don't have much to go on. I'd appreciate your help.

    1) KK Concept 20" very light rigid aluminium frame. 21 speed. Includes: lights, D-Lock, and
    numerous other spares and extras. £95 ono

    2) GT Avalanche MTB bike Black/silver. Avid discs f/r, Deore/LX 27 sp drivetrain, Judy XC forks,
    RRP new £950 - serious bikes with ace reviews. Excellent condition. Pics available & full specs.
    £275 each.

    If either should be avoided at all costs I'd like to know why.

    Cheers James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > A friend of mine from Gloucestershire has asked me about two models of bicycles. He didn't give me
    > too many details so you don't have much to go on. I'd appreciate your help.
    >
    > 1) KK Concept 20" very light rigid aluminium frame. 21 speed. Includes: lights, D-Lock, and
    > numerous other spares and extras. £95 ono
    >
    > 2) GT Avalanche MTB bike Black/silver. Avid discs f/r, Deore/LX 27 sp drivetrain, Judy XC forks,
    > RRP new £950 - serious bikes with ace reviews. Excellent condition. Pics available & full
    > specs. £275 each.
    >
    > If either should be avoided at all costs I'd like to know why.
    >
    > Cheers James
    >
    > --
    > "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

    Never heard of the KK, but GT is a respected name. Going on the brief information you have, the
    Avalanche appears to be the bargain...if it fits.

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > A friend of mine from Gloucestershire has asked me about two models of bicycles. He didn't give me
    > too many details so you don't have much to go on. I'd appreciate your help.
    >
    > 1) KK Concept 20" very light rigid aluminium frame. 21 speed. Includes: lights, D-Lock, and
    > numerous other spares and extras. £95

    Never heard of it. It was probably in the same aisle as the barbeque charcoal and cheap tv's at
    point of sale, if you get my drift ;-) Personally I wouldn't waste my time.

    > 2) GT Avalanche MTB bike Black/silver. Avid discs f/r, Deore/LX 27 sp drivetrain, Judy XC forks,
    > RRP new £950 - serious bikes with ace reviews. Excellent condition. Pics available & full
    > specs. £275 each.

    Now this sounds interesting and worth a look. Although no age is stated more important is the amount
    of hammer it may have received, ranging from none as a fashion accessory to being a total wreck from
    being used in anger.

    And you'll only know by having a darn good look, but to help see:
    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_hardtail/product_121494.shtml
    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Bike_hardtail/product_25028.shtml

    Pete

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 2) GT Avalanche MTB bike Black/silver. Avid discs f/r, Deore/LX 27 sp drivetrain, Judy XC forks,
    > RRP new £950 - serious bikes with ace reviews. Excellent condition. Pics available & full
    > specs. £275 each.

    James, this is a quote from an earlier post in this NG:

    "My GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc was stolen at the weekend (was cleaning the chain, nipped inside to put
    the oil etc back and wash my hands, came back outside and it was gone in < 1min). Anyway whilst I am
    a fan of GTs (2 Timberlines previously) and had started to like the Avalanche I never felt totally
    comfortable with this bike. It was a bit heavy, a bit too big (should have bought the size below)
    and didn't seem as well put together as my previous Timberlines. So what I really need is something
    lighter and reliable for commuting that I can go and sit on in a shop and try out (hard to find GTs
    here in London!!). I did like the disc brakes though and whilst tough at 1st they'd finally settled
    in and were great."

    Pete

  5. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:55:40 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> 2) GT Avalanche MTB bike Black/silver. Avid discs f/r, Deore/LX 27 sp drivetrain, Judy XC forks,
    >> RRP new £950 - serious bikes with ace reviews. Excellent condition. Pics available & full
    >> specs. £275 each.
    >
    >James, this is a quote from an earlier post in this NG:
    >
    >It was a bit heavy, a bit too big (should have bought the size below) ...

    Hi Pete

    I'd written off the KK Concept bike myself but wanted to know others' thoughts before I mailed my
    former work colleague.

    The GT Avalanche sounds reasonable to me as long as it's in a fair condition. I've already warned my
    mate about possible damage to the frame etc.

    FWIW, Hugh has MS and doesn't ride for long distances. However, he does trundle out with his local
    friends two or three times each week. As far as I gather, most of his rides are on minor roads but
    the group also puts in a few gentle off-road miles too.

    Hugh, at about 5'9", is a short arse (techical phrase). He's quite slim for his height but also is
    strong, especially when one considers his condition. (Helen V's the expert on this point.)

    Pete, I cannot locate the earlier post from u.r.c about the GT Avalanche. So, would you either point
    me towards the correct thread or give me some idea of a suitable bike size for a properly-
    proportioned 5'9" ish male. Perhaps incidentally, I'm 6'00", and my rigid Trek is sized 19.5" - all
    my MTBs have been this size.

    As I have never owned a sprung bike, I have no idea about bouncy forks.

    Regards James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    > If Vernon says otherwise, he's lying. He shall be whipped soundly if he implies anything else.

    I see. Well whatever turns you on ;-)

    Tony

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> writes:

    > I'd written off the KK Concept bike myself but wanted to know others' thoughts before I mailed my
    > former work colleague.
    >
    > The GT Avalanche sounds reasonable to me as long as it's in a fair condition. I've already warned
    > my mate about possible damage to the frame etc.
    >
    > FWIW, Hugh has MS and doesn't ride for long distances. However, he does trundle out with his local
    > friends two or three times each week. As far as I gather, most of his rides are on minor roads but
    > the group also puts in a few gentle off-road miles too.
    >
    > Hugh, at about 5'9", is a short arse (techical phrase). He's quite slim for his height but also is
    > strong, especially when one considers his condition. (Helen V's the expert on this point.)

    Often the case. In its early stages MS actually makes you stronger - which is why so many sufferers
    are ex-athletes.

    > Pete, I cannot locate the earlier post from u.r.c about the GT Avalanche. So, would you either
    > point me towards the correct thread or give me some idea of a suitable bike size for a properly-
    > proportioned 5'9" ish male. Perhaps incidentally, I'm 6'00", and my rigid Trek is sized 19.5" -
    > all my MTBs have been this size.

    There are reviews of several Avalanche models here: <URL:
    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_hardtail/index_G.shtml >

    Because MTB frame geometries vary so much it isn't really possible to say such and such a size
    of frame will suit people of this height - it varies with the make. So you really need to get
    him to try one.

    ;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision ;; that he makes and we should
    just support that' ;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > James Hodson <[email protected]> writes:
    > > Pete, I cannot locate the earlier post from u.r.c about the GT Avalanche. So, would you either
    > > point me towards the correct thread or give me some idea of a suitable bike size for a properly-
    > > proportioned 5'9" ish male. Perhaps incidentally, I'm 6'00", and my rigid Trek is sized 19.5" -
    > > all my MTBs have been this size.

    Hmm, my news reader didn't pick this up directly James. Anyway.......I copied the whole OP so
    there's nothing more to add.

    Regarding frame size, a bit hard to generalise for the reason Simons mentioned. F'rinstance, I ride
    a 17.5" Marin susser and an older 18" Trek rigid but the Marin feels (is) bigger!

    Pete

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:38:17 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hmm, my news reader didn't pick this up directly James. Anyway.......I copied the whole OP so
    >there's nothing more to add.
    >
    >Regarding frame size, a bit hard to generalise for the reason Simons mentioned. F'rinstance, I ride
    >a 17.5" Marin susser and an older 18" Trek rigid but the Marin feels (is) bigger!

    I spoke to Hugh a few moments ago and now know that both bikes were offered for sale on his
    company's intranet. Therefore, time is not really of the essence as they'll probably both be
    available for a reasonable period.

    I also suggested that Hugh drags himself along to a cycle shop - <http://www.noahsark.co.uk/> is
    proably his nearest LBS; it seems to be OK - and gets himself measured.

    As I mentioned and you picked up on, all my rigid MTB-look-alikes have been 19.5". Yet, like your
    Marin and Trek, they have all felt different in size.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.