Bike Insurance for Communal Areas

lukescorer

Feb 24, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first road bike, but live in a flat with limited space. Our apartments have a comunal bike store. The store is of brick/tile construction and has a yale lockable door. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good insurance broker which provides insurance for bikes being stored in such circumstances/ The general insurers and those specifically providing bike Insurance i've looked at so far don't provide this sort of coverage?

Luke

Not sure where you are but home owners insurance usually covers bikes. When in doubt read the policy and or contact the company and in addition make photographs of property and keep receipts.
Personal property valued under a certain amount(depending on policy) is automatically covered without a special rider on the policy.

Reactions: steve
.....or check on "renters insurance" if you are renting an apartment, condo, or house.

we are researching Liability insurance for bikes and electric bikes. Not the property protection that homeowners policies provide for theft, fires and maybe crashes etc. There seems to be lots of confusion in the marketplace regarding liability for bikers. There was an excellent article in the The Electric Bicycle Store.com in 2009 by Daniel Workman where he recomends an Umbrella policy for protection. He speaks of a $173. annual premium. In speaking with insurance companies some say that there is liability coverage under this policy and some say no-way.I would like to know what others have found nationally or globally? Our firm has been researching Bike Liability Insurance for over 6 years and seeks the best solution for the USA and for Bikers who travel internationally. Cheers, Jeffrey

Originally Posted by JeffreyLang .
we are researching Liability insurance for bikes and electric bikes. Not the property protection that homeowners policies provide...................... Our firm has been researching Bike Liability Insurance for over 6 years and seeks the best solution for the USA and for Bikers who travel internationally. Cheers, Jeffrey
Well... I for one am not in the least bit surprised. There is money to be made off cyclist. Why wouldn't you want to get in on that. Currently [in America] cyclist generally enjoy a nether/nor status. Although we are free to enjoy most roads as do cars and motorcycles, we are not required to license, nor are we required to insure our bicycles.

America has some of the best government that money can buy. To achieve your goals you will need to show a representative number of politicians that ether a constituency can be built/created from cyclist. Or sufficient amount or revenue can be raised via new taxes... or both.

Start with a single state like New York or California or better.... Florida. Later you can take what lessons you learn to a national level. First find some poor adult sap who was killed on a brand new bicycle bought for fitness. A young attractive adult female with small children would be the best choice. Create an advertisement campaign. Make that person a poster-child for the life saving accident preventing testing and licensing of cyclist and their bicycles. Raise money by public donation to put an end to the awful practice of unlicensed, uninsured, and dangerous cycling.

Use the donations to pay for the ads as well as contribute to politicians who will [in turn] introduce/create laws to require licensing and insuring of cyclist (while they increase tax revenue at the same time). Don't forget that these same politicians can add in little hidden fee's/taxes within the bicycle insurance (the same as they do with home-owners insurance). This has real potential for taxes/revenues.

Then use lobbyist to show politicians how they can find a revenue generating constituency from cyclist, LBS, and the entire cycling industry. As these groups would oppose the new laws and contribute so these same politicians could “fight” for their “cycling rights”. Passing even more restrictive laws would allow politicians to “build” this cycling constituency. This would almost seem counter intuitive as it would require our politicians to be two-faced. But this process has worked well here for generations.