bike lane right of way

tchak attack

Dec 3, 2004
Yesterday I was about to paralell park on Wells street just south of North Ave(for any Chicagoans) it has a marked bike lane. I find an empty spot, so I pull to the right, check my mirrors, start to reverse it in the spot and during this manuever a cyclist in the bike lane rode by and SLAMMED his palm/fist on my car. At first it scared the sh** out of me. My first impression was to chase down and educate but I went into Zen, finished parking, fed my meter and continued my errands. Instead of that SLAM BAM on my car the cyclist could and should of rode to the left...what do you think... When I checked my mirrors I did not see him (no light and it was dark). I feel he saw the 3500 pound Crown Victoria with reverse lights on????

tchak attack said:
Yesterday I was about to paralell park on Wells street just south of North Ave(for any Chicagoans) it has a marked bike lane. I find an empty spot, so I pull to the right, check my mirrors, start to reverse it in the spot and during this manuever a cyclist in the bike lane rode by and SLAMMED his palm/fist on my car. At first it scared the sh** out of me. My first impression was to chase down and educate but I went into Zen, finished parking, fed my meter and continued my errands. Instead of that SLAM BAM on my car the cyclist could and should of rode to the left...what do you think... When I checked my mirrors I did not see him (no light and it was dark). I feel he saw the 3500 pound Crown Victoria with reverse lights on????

If he came upon you before you even started backing up for the maneuver then you probably should have seen him before you got into position. But it does sound like he was a little too aggressive in his response. The "slam the top of the car" tactic is something that should be reserved for clearly unsafe and rude drivers... If you were safe and courteous then the cyclist was in the wrong. Please accept my apology on his behalf and continue to be a responsible sharer of our roadways.

tchak attack said:
When I checked my mirrors I did not see him (no light and it was dark). I feel he saw the 3500 pound Crown Victoria with reverse lights on????
Cyclists riding at night have a legal responsibility to be visible. This means lights front and rear. Just a few nights ago I saw some jackass flying down the road without any lights (and dark clothes, of course) get right hooked by a car. The car was coming from an angle such that he was outside of the healight beam. There's no way the driver saw him until after he bounced off the side of the car. I was walking and I could hardly see the guy. Anyway, back to your story. The cyclist may have had the right or way, but you can't be expected to yield to a vehicle you can't see.

tchak attack said:
I don't believe you were in the wrong. We all, us cyclists included, are responsible for sharing the road, and following the rules of the road. That is why I always ride at night with a light...both head and tail, which by law, is required here in New Jersey. This person's reactions to your safe and responsible maneuver was, in my opinion, uncalled for. I applaud you for your judgement.

I am assuming you are also a cyclist since you are posting this here. It is stories such as this that drivers can and will use to demonstrate that all cyclists are unasfe and not worthy of being on the road.

Cheers,
Brian