Bike lanes unconstitutional in the US

Hey nice find! the comments are amusing /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Clearly an unbiased site. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I don't want the Fed Gubmint mandating bike paths. I'm with Hunter on this. Let the locals who know their area do it. If they're serious, they'll raise the money. That said, I don't care for bike lanes--they put the cyclists out of the line of sight of motorists and more likely to get hit when the motorists cross that lane.

Let the market decide. As gas prices go higher, we'll see more and more people on bikes, which will translate to more and more people demanding safe passage on said bikes.

Jason

Again another issue where people get all wrapped up in the politics of the issue and not the reality. The reality is that not enough people commute by bicycle and building more paths/bikelanes doesn't entice people on a bike for commuting. There are some exceptions and let those areas make their own decisions on road construction, not by an out-of-touch fed. govt.

The bulk of traffic that bike paths see are weekenders and families, not commuters. And as for bikelanes, I almost never see any other bikers in them.

Don't get me wrong I want more people on bikes, but the only way I see this happening is gas prices...maybe... I've been commuting by bicycle for over 20 years in numerous cities. I haven't seen much of a trend toward this mode of transportation, even when the gas prices were rapidly climbing.

I could care less if there were or were not any bike lanes around, I'll ride my bike regardless.

But the "recreational" statement is just ignorant...tell that to the Chinese once they "recreationally" kick our a----s in education, manufacturing/production, wealth, and pretty much all aspects of life.

Unfortunately, that's the opinion of many, us commuters are one of the smallest minority groups in America. And on top of that we're virtually unrepresented - or at least not take seriously in America. There are a number of roads (shoulderless roads) that I ride and are adjacent to bike paths. I NEVER ride on those bike paths. I feel it's my responsibility to exercise my right to the roads as a cyclist. I know the vast numbers of Americans do not understand how important this is to me, including the greenies who drive Prius-type vehicles. And probably some cyclists that have more money invested in their machine than me, but only do club rides... but commuting by bike is that important to me.

Originally Posted by genedan .

But the "recreational" statement is just ignorant...

The risk of injury for cyclists riding on Montreal bike paths is about 28 per cent lower than for cyclists riding on comparable Montreal roads unprotected from traffic, according to a new study published in an international peer-reviewed journal for health professionals.

That riding on separated bike paths is safer than riding in traffic may seem obvious, but there is growing debate in the U.S. and in some Canadian cities about whether bike paths provide a false sense of security and therefore increase risk, especially at intersections where cyclists are unprotected.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Separated+Montreal+bike+paths+lower+risks+riders+study/4253487/story.html#ixzz1DWAF4UiZ

My concern is that as bike paths (there's a contradiction in terms) increase there will be more of a push to get bikes off the road. Has anyone ever looked on youtube at the bikelanes in New York City? I don't know if there's any ordinance to keep bikes off the road and in those bike lanes, but to me that would be awful. I would never ride in those bike lanes, I'd stick to the road where I feel safer.

I know the difference between bike lanes and bike paths, but the bike lanes in NYC are just awful and in my mind not much better than any bike path I've been on.

Cycling is my primary form of transportation, not a hobby or a recreation, I can't waste time riding on a bike path or a badly designed bikelane.

BTW, here in Jacksonville, Fl we have some bike lanes and I think they're perfect. Nothing fancy, no special lights/signage...just a little more real estate for cyclists, that's really all that's needed.

I don't know. What ever they say. Does anyone really even know what the constitution is? Unconstitutional, uncivilized, probably not. They should just make everyone ride a bike. No more cars. Stay home if it rains.

Quote by JSLoser:
"I don't know."

We know. We know.

"What ever they say."

They say you are a loser.

"Does anyone really even know what the constitution is?"

I do.

"Unconstitutional, uncivilized, probably not."

How about uneducated. That's not an interrogative.

"They should just make everyone ride a bike."

Well, all righty then, Stalin.

"No more cars."

Go screw yourself. You'll have to pry my steering wheel from my cold, dead hands.

"Stay home if it rains."

No. I turn the windshield wipers on a go where ever the Hell I want, whenever I want.

I'm shocked at the title of this thread. Why brand unconstitutional something as petty as the bike lane? That is the problem with politicians, they take everything word for word and put in their own meanings. Pardon me but isn't it the bike lanes were created for safety measures? We have motorcycle and bike lanes in some areas here but strict use is not implemented hence the two-wheels are anywhere on the road, not sticking to their designated lanes. Some motorists are complaining about the neglect of the motorcycle lane by those who should benefit from it but still using other lanes.

I partly believe with Hunter and partly not. I'd only have the busiest sections of the major cities have bike lanes as those usually contain tons of traffic and can get ugly pretty fast with an inexperienced biker. In the outside towns outside cities, you can deem them unconstitutional.