Bike Light Interfering with Wireless computer problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Duane, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Duane

    Duane Guest

    I use a Ciclosport CM434 cycle computer and NiteRider Storm light mounted on the bike. When i turn
    the light on, the cyclecomputer quits receiving from the front mounted transmitter/pickup.

    Any solution to this problem? Anyone else ever experience this problem.

    In my opinion wireless computers are waste. Much bigger pickup transmitter, plus a bigger receiver
    unit. All to save a thin wire running down the fork.

    Thanks for any help.

    Duane

    Tags:

  2. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    On 17 Dec 2003 07:46:16 -0800, [email protected] (Duane) wrote:

    >I use a Ciclosport CM434 cycle computer and NiteRider Storm light mounted on the bike. When i turn
    >the light on, the cyclecomputer quits receiving from the front mounted transmitter/pickup.

    yep. my xenon strobe will do that too. everything has to be away from the computer.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
    toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  3. Duane wrote:
    > I use a Ciclosport CM434 cycle computer and NiteRider Storm light mounted on the bike. When i turn
    > the light on, the cyclecomputer quits receiving from the front mounted transmitter/pickup.
    >
    > Any solution to this problem? Anyone else ever experience this problem.
    >
    > In my opinion wireless computers are waste. Much bigger pickup transmitter, plus a bigger receiver
    > unit. All to save a thin wire running down the fork.

    Well it's really nice not to have this wire on a suspension fork out in the bush. Apart from that I
    agree with you, more problems than it is worth.

    Have you tried moving your light and computer around a little. Often the disturbances are very
    local. If that don't help I suppose it's cheaper to swap out the computer ;) The folks who sold you
    the Nite Rider might be helpful and knowledgeable in finding a good cyclo computer. Not to mention
    giving you a good deal of course.

    --
    Perre

  4. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    A GPS is a superior toy on the handlebars in any case; I have two original Garmin eTrex's ($99 on
    sale) and they work whether the radio-noisy Cateye HL-1500 headlights are on or not.

    You get speed, altitude, max speed, average speed, and a nice map of breadcrumbs for the last 75
    miles or so, plus any waypoints you've dropped to amaze yourself with when they come up again in the
    middle of nowhere.

    Get the handlebar mount $15 even though it seems overpriced; it's great.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  5. N2vx Jim

    N2vx Jim Guest

    On 17 Dec 2003 07:46:16 -0800, [email protected] (Duane) wrote:

    >I use a Ciclosport CM434 cycle computer and NiteRider Storm light mounted on the bike. When i turn
    >the light on, the cyclecomputer quits receiving from the front mounted transmitter/pickup.
    >
    >Any solution to this problem? Anyone else ever experience this problem.
    >
    >In my opinion wireless computers are waste. Much bigger pickup transmitter, plus a bigger receiver
    >unit. All to save a thin wire running down the fork.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.
    >
    >Duane

    Duane,

    The HID lamp must be generating enough RF noise to drown out the signal from the transmitter.
    Electrical arcs generally do that. The unit probably works on 30 KHz or some low frequency where
    electrical noise is the worst. Your choices:

    Suppress radiated RF from the light. That means shielding + filtering.

    Get a wired unit.

    Good luck! Jim

  6. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:38:20 GMT, Ron Hardin
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >A GPS is a superior toy on the handlebars in any case; I have two original Garmin eTrex's ($99 on
    >sale) and they work whether the radio-noisy Cateye HL-1500 headlights are on or not.
    >
    >You get speed, altitude, max speed, average speed, and a nice map

    I find that my Garmin Etrex Venture is terribly inaccurate for data normally collected by a
    computer, and use both.

    >of breadcrumbs for the last 75 miles or so, plus any waypoints you've dropped to amaze yourself
    >with when they come up again in the middle of nowhere.

    GPS mapping on the bike is great off-road. Don't know if it's useful on-road.

    >Get the handlebar mount $15 even though it seems overpriced; it's great.

    Where can this be found nowadays? It used to be common, but seems not to exist anymore.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. Duane

    Duane Guest

    Thanks for the replies. Going back to a wired computer, at least until the days are longer.

    The Garmin Etrex looks kind of interesting. I wonder how they get it to work in trees. My timex GPS
    unit that i use to track distance when i run does not work at all in trees. Pretty useless and high
    priced piece of equipment. Garmin says the etrex works in dense trees. Any experience with that?

    Thanks again.

  8. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Duane wrote:

    > Thanks for the replies. Going back to a wired computer, at least until the days are longer.
    >
    > The Garmin Etrex looks kind of interesting. I wonder how they get it to work in trees. My timex
    > GPS unit that i use to track distance when i run does not work at all in trees. Pretty useless
    > and high priced piece of equipment. Garmin says the etrex works in dense trees. Any experience
    > with that?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    It's happier if there are no trees.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  9. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:38:20 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >A GPS is a superior toy on the handlebars in any case; I have two original Garmin eTrex's ($99 on
    > >sale) and they work whether the radio-noisy Cateye HL-1500 headlights are on or not.
    > >
    > >You get speed, altitude, max speed, average speed, and a nice map
    >
    > I find that my Garmin Etrex Venture is terribly inaccurate for data normally collected by a
    > computer, and use both.
    >
    > >of breadcrumbs for the last 75 miles or so, plus any waypoints you've dropped to amaze yourself
    > >with when they come up again in the middle of nowhere.
    >
    > GPS mapping on the bike is great off-road. Don't know if it's useful on-road.
    >
    > >Get the handlebar mount $15 even though it seems overpriced; it's great.
    >
    > Where can this be found nowadays? It used to be common, but seems not to exist anymore.
    > --
    > Rick Onanian

    I use the basic eTrex http://www.garmin.com/graphics/etrexPIC.jpg

    The handlebar mount is at http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_product.jsp?sku=010-00190-00

    The point of the thing is, like a computer, entertainment.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  10. "Duane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I use a Ciclosport CM434 cycle computer and NiteRider Storm light mounted on the bike. When i turn
    > the light on, the cyclecomputer quits receiving from the front mounted transmitter/pickup.
    >
    > Any solution to this problem? Anyone else ever experience this problem.
    >
    > In my opinion wireless computers are waste. Much bigger pickup transmitter, plus a bigger receiver
    > unit. All to save a thin wire running down the fork.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Duane

    Maybe that's the reason my wireless Sigma BC1600 also stop receiving any signals. I'm just about to
    return it to SigmaSport for a replacement. I'm using a twin NightSun XC light. I sometimes get
    signals. It can work for 15 mins, 45 mins. or even 1hr. 40 mins. and then stop receiving. I thought
    it was poor battery in either transmitter/receiver but had the batteries checked and nothing wrong
    there. The funny thing is that after returning home and switched the light off, it seems to work
    again and that has puzzled me alot.I have even experienced that the computer can register input even
    when the bike is not moving but the light still on. I'll do some testing and come back. Hjalmar

  11. Duane

    Duane Guest

    "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Duane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I use a Ciclosport CM434 cycle computer and NiteRider Storm light mounted on the bike. When i
    > > turn the light on, the cyclecomputer quits receiving from the front mounted transmitter/pickup.
    > >
    > > Any solution to this problem? Anyone else ever experience this problem.
    > >
    > > In my opinion wireless computers are waste. Much bigger pickup transmitter, plus a bigger
    > > receiver unit. All to save a thin wire running down the fork.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > Duane
    >
    > Maybe that's the reason my wireless Sigma BC1600 also stop receiving any signals. I'm just about
    > to return it to SigmaSport for a replacement. I'm using a twin NightSun XC light. I sometimes get
    > signals. It can work for 15 mins, 45 mins. or even 1hr. 40 mins. and then stop receiving. I
    > thought it was poor battery in either transmitter/receiver but had the batteries checked and
    > nothing wrong there. The funny thing is that after returning home and switched the light off, it
    > seems to work again and that has puzzled me alot.I have even experienced that the computer can
    > register input even when the bike is not moving but the light still on. I'll do some testing and
    > come back. Hjalmar

    That was the same scenario i went through. Thought it was the cyclecomputer malfunctioning(which in
    part is true). Get home and it would start to work. Finally dawned on me that it was related to
    turning light on/off. Hate to admit this, but took me 4 rides to figure this out!

  12. N2vx Jim

    N2vx Jim Guest

    On 19 Dec 2003 06:48:55 -0800, [email protected] (Duane) wrote:

    >"Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> "Duane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > I use a Ciclosport CM434 cycle computer and NiteRider Storm light mounted on the bike. When i
    >> > turn the light on, the cyclecomputer quits receiving from the front mounted transmitter/pickup.
    >> >
    >> > Any solution to this problem? Anyone else ever experience this problem.
    >> >
    >> > In my opinion wireless computers are waste. Much bigger pickup transmitter, plus a bigger
    >> > receiver unit. All to save a thin wire running down the fork.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any help.
    >> >
    >> > Duane
    >>
    >> Maybe that's the reason my wireless Sigma BC1600 also stop receiving any signals. I'm just about
    >> to return it to SigmaSport for a replacement. I'm using a twin NightSun XC light. I sometimes get
    >> signals. It can work for 15 mins, 45 mins. or even 1hr. 40 mins. and then stop receiving. I
    >> thought it was poor battery in either transmitter/receiver but had the batteries checked and
    >> nothing wrong there. The funny thing is that after returning home and switched the light off, it
    >> seems to work again and that has puzzled me alot.I have even experienced that the computer can
    >> register input even when the bike is not moving but the light still on. I'll do some testing and
    >> come back. Hjalmar
    >
    >That was the same scenario i went through. Thought it was the cyclecomputer malfunctioning(which in
    >part is true). Get home and it would start to work. Finally dawned on me that it was related to
    >turning light on/off. Hate to admit this, but took me 4 rides to figure this out!

    Have any of you added filtering to the battery power lead? Try using a small AM radio on an unused
    frequency to sniff out where the interference is coming out. You never know.

    Jim

  13. Duane Dobesh

    Duane Dobesh Guest

    I put aluminum foil around the back part of the light and the computer worked. So it looks like it
    is coming from the lamp.

    news:[email protected]...