Bike Lights (Your Experience)

brad g

Jul 22, 2006
I commute to my job 4 days a week, and the going to work commute is at 2:30AM, so I must have some kinda headlight/taillight. Right now, I use a bell dawn patrol headlight, and just bought a Blackburn Mars 3.0. I feel that the headlight needs to be replaced, for a few reasons, but mostly because it just isn't that terribly bright. I use the high beam halogen all the time because low beam or the LEDs are practically useless in the dark. I would like to hear from anyone who uses a headlight, what brand/type it is and how effective. I will be buying a new headlight before my shift starts this Saturday.

All depends on how much you want to spend. In the end, you can't beat a good HID system. I've used various halogen options for enduro racing and none of them compares to HID. It's a good investment if you are going to use it regularly. I use a midrange HID- the Topeak Moonshine HID. Good value for about $300 USD.

I am happy with my NightRider Trail Rat 2 halogen. I am sure HID is brighter, but my light seems plenty good for my commute. (I don't get up as early as you, but in the winter both my ride in and home are in total darkness.) The battery is pretty small and light, and gives about 2.5 hours of strong light. I think I paid about $100 or $125 US about a year ago at REI.

Perhaps as important (or more important) than being able to see, is to be seen. I have been happy mounting my red LED strobe "tail-light" on the back of my helmet. It is up high, very visible, and hard to miss. And, a bright top (shirt, or jacket) helps too.

Chero

I'm using a Cygolite Dual Cross led light system, its eqivalent to a 20w halogen system has dual beam white output, on high power using the small ni-mh battery it has 4 hours duration, with a battery meter function telling you how time you have left. It even has 4 flashing modes.

I use this light to be seen and many motorists has commented that is it too bright but that's why I use it.

1-Dualcross3in1.gif

Here is the link to the website, its quite reasonably priced when you compare it to the HID systems.

http://www.cygolite.com/2-Products/1-DualCross300.htm

this is the cheapest I've seen it but I can't vouch for the retailer

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product2545_9_-Cygo-Lite-Dual-Cross-LED-Light.htm

I also use the following tail lights, bar end lights and flashing bands.

http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod1083.htm but I modified the mounting to put 2 togehter.

I also wear flashing armbands and leg bands and use bar end flashers
dwd_flashingarmband.gif

http://www.blt-lights.com/dropflash.htm

It pays to be seen, especially at the time you commute.

kleng said:
In the notes it mentions that the maximum output light you can use with the 12volt dynamo is 5 watts. For me thats not enough light 10 - 20 watts would be better.
The bottle generator seems to be lighter, does not run out, does not need recharging, has trouble with snow, reduces power from the bike, is complicated. There is something romantic about getting all your power from yourself as opposed to fossil fuels. I wonder if the trade off is adequate.

5W is probably ok to avoid road hazards. 20W seems a bit like overkill.

Anyone use an LED lamp? Halogen bulb are expensive to replace. My dentist uses a head-mounted lamp like much like a bike light. He has a nice halogen, but switched to LED because the halogen bulbs burned out frequently and cost $35 US to replace.

Good idea DMF. I have used the Cateye with 5 bluish-white LEDs and replaceable batteries (forget if it was 4 AAs or two Cs). It was fair: very long lasting, good at letting me be seen from ahead). But it was not quite bright enough to see what I needed to see on the parts of my route without street lights). Still, I think the LED approach has merit in efficiency (conserving battery power). Has anyone used one with greater brightness than the Cateye? It should be possible to make one.

Also, Kleng, thanks for posting the blinking arm/leg band. I use one of those on an ankle and really like it. I feel a bit like a Martigras float with that and a strobe tailight, but your total setup puts me in the shade!

chero

chero said:
Good idea DMF. I have used the Cateye with 5 bluish-white LEDs and replaceable batteries (forget if it was 4 AAs or two Cs). It was fair: very long lasting, good at letting me be seen from ahead). But it was not quite bright enough to see what I needed to see on the parts of my route without street lights). Still, I think the LED approach has merit in efficiency (conserving battery power). Has anyone used one with greater brightness than the Cateye? It should be possible to make one.

Also, Kleng, thanks for posting the blinking arm/leg band. I use one of those on an ankle and really like it. I feel a bit like a Martigras float with that and a strobe tailight, but your total setup puts me in the shade!

chero
Chero

I read in a cycling magazine that even though a blinking led can be seen out to 650m, a motorist does not recognise its a cyclist till about 60m from them, traveliing at 60kmh. I guess any bit of light helps. A lot of drivers get a bit of tunnel vision at night and don't look peripherally.

geo8rge said:
The bottle generator seems to be lighter, does not run out, does not need recharging, has trouble with snow, reduces power from the bike, is complicated. There is something romantic about getting all your power from yourself as opposed to fossil fuels. I wonder if the trade off is adequate.

5W is probably ok to avoid road hazards. 20W seems a bit like
overkill.

George its overkill or be killed, so many times motorists have not seen me
while they are turning into the road from off a side street, their not expecting someone coming down the lane so close to the gutter, travelling at 25 -40kmh, especially with small lights that are lost in the street lights. They often just look for cars, so for me looking like a car is so much better. With 20w I'm afforded all the road courtesy.

Have a look around when your'e driving at night, how many cyclists can you guys really see well. With my setup I'm more confident I won't get rearended or have someone turn out in front of me with me crashing into them.

chero said:

chero
Chero if you want to use rechargeable 4 AA. the Cateye HL -EL500 is a good light rated at 1 watt, it does not flash though. Their cheaper off ebay. They have an endurance of 30hrs. I've got these on the wifes bike they are only "be seen " lights. The most compact fully contained unit is the Light & Motion Vega which gives a more useable 3 watts of output, but what's crazy is that is more expensive than the Cygolite Dual Cross 300 from the online stores I've seen.

kleng said:
.George its overkill or be killed,
I have not seen any 'scientific' studies that difference between 5w and 20w makes much difference.
If a diver does not see your rear reflector in their headlights, it is unlikely the blinky will do much. (I use a rear blinky)

As to the headlamp again there are tradeoffs as to weight ect vs watts. More is probably better, but I again suspect headlights only help to avoid road hazards and avoid head ons with other cyclists. I have a halogen flashlight I mount on my helmet. I usually only ride on well lite areas. I am not sure which system to get so I have not upgraded.

I build my own 12v/20w light which works very well.The battery we use is small enough to fit into a waterbottle.Burn time is only 40 min so we only use it when we really need a good beam,comming down the mountain gravle roads at night.
I use an led light for general elumination.With the 12v/20w approaching cars flick at you requesting you to dip your $%#&! light.:)