Bike lock alert - urgent

Peter Grange wrote:

> I don't know, I was just going by the wording in the insurance document,
> to the effect that if it's left unattended in a public place it must be
> locked. No specification of the lock to be used. I guess the ins co
> would be hard pressed to prove one way or the other. I suppose the thief
> could have opened the lock with a key, or cracked the combination, and
> nicked the lock too.

I think you will need to prove to them it was locked by producing the
broken lock or something. I doubt they would accept that having broken
the lock the thief then bothered to carry the broken bits off with him
so no broken lock will be taken as no lock unless you can prove otherwise.

Tony

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <junk@raven-
family.com> writes
>Peter Grange wrote:
>>
>> I don't know, I was just going by the wording in the insurance document,
>> to the effect that if it's left unattended in a public place it must be
>> locked. No specification of the lock to be used. I guess the ins co
>> would be hard pressed to prove one way or the other. I suppose the thief
>> could have opened the lock with a key, or cracked the combination, and
>> nicked the lock too.
>>

>I think you will need to prove to them it was locked by producing the
>broken lock or something. I doubt they would accept that having broken
>the lock the thief then bothered to carry the broken bits off with him
>so no broken lock will be taken as no lock unless you can prove otherwise.
>
>Tony

I wonder if Ins Co's read newsgroups....
OK, someone, obviously not me because I wouldn't leave my bike unlocked,
and I'm far too honest anyway, but someone, gets their very expensive
unlocked bike nicked. Ins co demands to see broken lock. Said someone
does some basic arithmetic. Buy 50 quid lock, break it, give it to Ins
Co. Get three grand for nicked bike.

--
Peter Grange

> I wonder if Ins Co's read newsgroups....
> OK, someone, obviously not me because I wouldn't leave my bike
> unlocked, and I'm far too honest anyway, but someone, gets their very
> expensive unlocked bike nicked. Ins co demands to see broken lock.
> Said someone does some basic arithmetic. Buy 50 quid lock, break it,
> give it to Ins Co. Get three grand for nicked bike.

You'd need a receipt for the bike, or possibly just a photo. In addition
you'd get the money to spend only on a new bike (which you'd buy and then
send the receipt in) and you'd have to pay the excess out of your own
pocket.

Of course recipts could be faked, so you might get away with not owning the
insured bike and faking the receipt of its replacement.

Doing that would be horribly immoral tho. If you really want to get into
crime and make serious money, then mug muggers. The average law abiding
citizen has the contents of one wallet of them. An active mugger will have
the contents of multiple wallets on his person. Not only do you get more
money, but you also get the warm glow of doing something positive for the
community as you leave the scum lying in a pool of his own blood.

On 12 Oct 2004 23:25:49 GMT, Mark Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Doing that would be horribly immoral tho. If you really want to get into
>crime and make serious money, then mug muggers. The average law abiding
>citizen has the contents of one wallet of them. An active mugger will have
>the contents of multiple wallets on his person. Not only do you get more
>money, but you also get the warm glow of doing something positive for the
>community as you leave the scum lying in a pool of his own blood.

Now that's what I call thinking!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Mark
Thompson <[email protected]> writes
>> I wonder if Ins Co's read newsgroups....
>> OK, someone, obviously not me because I wouldn't leave my bike
>> unlocked, and I'm far too honest anyway, but someone, gets their very
>> expensive unlocked bike nicked. Ins co demands to see broken lock.
>> Said someone does some basic arithmetic. Buy 50 quid lock, break it,
>> give it to Ins Co. Get three grand for nicked bike.

>You'd need a receipt for the bike, or possibly just a photo. In addition
>you'd get the money to spend only on a new bike (which you'd buy and then
>send the receipt in) and you'd have to pay the excess out of your own
>pocket.
>
>Of course recipts could be faked, so you might get away with not owning the
>insured bike and faking the receipt of its replacement.
>
>Doing that would be horribly immoral tho. If you really want to get into
>crime and make serious money, then mug muggers. The average law abiding
>citizen has the contents of one wallet of them. An active mugger will have
>the contents of multiple wallets on his person. Not only do you get more
>money, but you also get the warm glow of doing something positive for the
>community as you leave the scum lying in a pool of his own blood.

Hmm. That appeals.

I think you may have misunderstood my point though. I was only trying to
say that if you genuinely had your expensive bike nicked, and the ins co
won't pay because they want to see a broken lock, the cost of providing
such evidence would not be high compared to the loss incurred if they
won't cough up. The ins co knows that too so probably wouldn't bother
asking, other than to have you declare it was locked. Touch wood I have
no experience of getting a bike nicked, but I'm sure there are plenty of
readers of this who have, more's the pity.

--
Peter Grange