Bike Lock Suggestions??

grindr82

Sep 4, 2011
I was thinking of purchasing two of the Kryptonite New York fahgettaboutit mini's along with the pinhead skewers on my tires, seat post, handle bar stem. My bike is a $1300 bike and I will be using it daily commuting to and from work, I am working on getting my boss to allow me to keep it inside of our second break room...but in case that doesn't happen...Id like to protect it the best that I can..It will be parked in one of two places (if not inside) either at the bus depot( I am a bus driver) which has a police officer/ security guard there almost all day, the bike rack is located near a window where its easily seen by anyone in the office or at our bus yard which is a less than desirable area to lock it up....too many transients and general public cutting through the yard even though they aren't supposed too.
I have done some research on U-locks but figured I would ask people commute and that have hands on experience with different locks.

Any suggestions, opinions, or advice?

I commute to work when the weather is good, but I bring it into my office. But I do go other places where I need to lock up the bike.

The best way to lock up a bike is to use two different kind of locks that would take two different kinds of tools to defeat.

The Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit is the probably the best lock on the market, but I wouldn't get the mini I would get a larger one. The reason for the larger one is because if you lock it the way this website I'm going to give you tells you to you need it. See: http://www.missinglink.org/page/how-lock-bike This is a far better way to lock your bike then any other method. In order to lock your bike up like that you'll need a 8" long shackle, the Kryptonite New York Std has the 8" shackle. Some people take their front rim in with them to work, that's up to you.

Then the next lock could be the On Guard Rotweiller 25mm Armor coil cable lock, probably the thickest cable lock on the market. Yes it's true, cable locks are the easiest to defeat, but it takes a different tool to cut a cable then does hardened steel thus the would be thief would have to carry around two different set of tools which their not going to do. You simply lock the bike up the same way you did with the U-bolt lock. By the way this lock cost $35 on Amazon

Then use the Pit Locks.

Keep in mind, no lock will keep your bike theft proof, their only design to slow down the pro. If that worries you then you need to buy a junker bike to ride to work, either a brand new Walmart type of bike or a used bike.

Also keep in mind that the bike protection guarantees on any lock is virtually useless!! To many requirements need to be fulfilled before payout can be determined. So don't put your hopes on those warranties, instead get homeowners or renters insurance...of course with insurance you have deductibles. If you want to know what the requirements are ask.

My bike (Look 595) is never locked up outside. It goes into work and into the apartment. When I had a bike that when at school was locked up in a locked bike pen, I secured the bike with a fahgettaboutit chain and lock. It was long enough to run through both wheels and the frame and is covered to help lessen the chances of the chain marring the bike finish. FWIW, I used pipe insulation to cover the metal pipe in the bike rack also to prevent marring my frame (it was a different bike at the time). The fahgettaboutit isn't something that I'd carry about unless you really hate yourself or are like that crazo, self-flagellating priest in "The DaVinci Code." Adding a U-lock should be a consideration, too. No matter what you choose, it can be beat by an industrious thief. By using the burly stuff and combining a fahgettaboutit w/ its lock and an additional U-lock, you're more likely to convince a thief that it's just not worth it. Thieves are lazy and will tend to go for the lowest hanging fruit.

I'd like to expand the scope of this thread to more than just commuting (if that's OK).... as I have no job. Since I don't work I often have considerable free time. I often shop and such by bike.... or just stop for a coffee or lunch, or a warm-up or cool down break.

I worry about the opportunist. The kid looking for something to ride off on. Or a guy with a pick-up truck or van. I only carry (and use) a cheap lightweight cable lock. But I often wonder if my bike wouldn't have been just as safe without the lock. Most bikes I lock mine up beside... aren't locked at all.

What do you guys use when parking a bike alone in front of StarBucks.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

I'd like to expand the scope of this thread to more than just commuting (if that's OK).... as I have no job. Since I don't work I often have considerable free time. I often shop and such by bike.... or just stop for a coffee or lunch, or a warm-up or cool down break.

I worry about the opportunist. The kid looking for something to ride off on. Or a guy with a pick-up truck or van. I only carry (and use) a cheap lightweight cable lock. But I often wonder if my bike wouldn't have been just as safe without the lock. Most bikes I lock mine up beside... aren't locked at all.

There are ways to slow down a thief without locks, but note it just slows them down. First you can can remove the seat, something about riding a bike without a seat scares most people; you can loosen the handlebars, twist them sideways then retighten; you can shift into the small chain ring then take the chain off the chain ring and let it lie between the ring and the frame. Like I said it won't stop them but it could frustrate them enough to forget it or slow them down enough for you to stop them, they can always pick up the bike and run. I just stay within eyeshot whenever I park like that.

Dave Cutter said:
I either leave the bike with friend or lean it against a shop window so I can see it. Additionally, I adjust the brakes so the pads are tight against the rims and take the chain off the chainring.

I dont have to worry too much about a random unscruplous individual riding off with any of my bikes. I am pretty tall and have my seats pretty high. Also the seats themselves are a deterrent, the discontinued E3 gel. They look pretty scary to someone who doesn't ride on them. Apparently they have re-emerged although they are now much more expensive:

http://www.kontactbike.com/

Way back when, I had a schoolmate try to take my bike. Little did he realize that I have a cable through the front wheel. He got about 10 feet before it wrapped tight enough to lock the wheel. Over the handlebars he went - idiot.

Nowadays on commutes, I carry a long thick cable and padlock. I route the cable through the front wheel and the through the rear triangle and rear wheel, I can lock it to most anything. Its fairly heavy, but I usually carry a loaded pack anyway - I chalk it up as a training aid.

Is anyone out there familiar with blackburn U locks and how they compare to Kryptonite U locks?

Not sure what Blackburn you're looking at but one ad I saw said they were pick proof, there is no such thing as keyed pick proof lock; but having said that it's highly unlikely you'll run into a pro lock picker! The San Quentin (Blackburns best model) does have a thicker shackle by about 2mm over the New York standard. I couldn't find any tests done on the Blackburn to see if it's at least as good as the Krypto for thief protection, but I would think it would be darn close.

Here is the proper way to lock your bike using a U lock: http://www.missinglink.org/page/how-lock-bike Also if you're really concerned about bike theft you should get a second lock made of completely different material like the 22mm thick armored cable lock from Avenir, it's relatively inexpensive but it would require a thief to have two different lock defeating tools with him...most thieves won't carry two sets of tools so they'll move on to an easier target. You use the cable in the same fashion as the web site I gave shows.

Do not though rely on any lock manufactures theft warranty to protect you financially. Those warranties are all but impossible to collect on. They require a police report, most large city police agencies won't bother taking a report on a stolen bike! they need pics of the undesturbed crime are in detail including lighting, the lock, what the lock was attached to; they want the old lock, so if the lock was stolen too bad; they want the original receipt and the carton the lock came in; they want the original receipt of the bike and a apprasial of the bike within the last 12 months. Then they determine if they should pay, 99 times out of 100 they won't. You would be better served using your home or renters insurance, but even they will want a police report but sometimes will wave that requirement if they know the city won't do it, but they will want a reference number that you called the police.

I use both a Kryptonite U lock and a thick combination cable lock, making sure to lock both the frame and both wheels (even if I have bolts). Also don't have the locking end of the U lock next to the pole your locking up to, instead have it next to your frame/wheels. If you leverage something in between a U-lock and a pole you can break open the lock.

Side story. A friend of mind in college had his bike stolen on campus, and reported the incident. A few months later he saw his bike locked up in front of a building, and quickly locked up the bike with his lock. He reported to public safety that it was his stolen bike and that he had added his lock to it. He left a note "Thank you for keeping my bike safe, now please remove your lock from my bike. If there is a problem call public safety." Three weeks later the lock was gone and no one ever called public safety.

Thanks for all the input. I just purchased a medium sized saddle bag/wedge that will allow me to store a slightly better cable lock. I am also updating my contact lists on my mobile phone. Just in case the bike did disappear I could still make it home by calling a friend to come get me.

I could be wrong but I don't think a high quality U lock would break by leveraging a pole between the U lock, I never heard of that ever working, it can be done with a hydraulic bottle jack if there's room, but not to many thieves are going to take the effort to carry one of those around. A battery powered angle grinder is the new weapon of choice, noisy but quick and effective. That's why no lock is undefeatable given a determined pro. If you really paranoid about having your bike stolen and you live in a high risk area you should ideally buy a clunker or a Walmart bike and lock that up instead of a nice bike, and save the nice bike for training rides when your not going to be locking it up.

My bicycle lock is Kryptonite Evolution Mini Bike U-Lock. I choose this bicycle lock only for 1 reasons: the lock is small but strong and have no ”bite” for tools, so it is not easy for thieves to open it.
I even left my bike along and I went to watch a movie. When I came out, it’s OK. Of course, it is not a good idea that the time you leave you bike is not too long . If your bike is missing, don’t blame your bicycle lock. More info pls visit: http://floorpumps.info/best-bike-equipment-for-riding/

Dave Cutter said:
I'd like to expand the scope of this thread to more than just commuting (if that's OK).... as I have no job. Since I don't work I often have considerable free time. I often shop and such by bike.... or just stop for a coffee or lunch, or a warm-up or cool down break. I worry about the opportunist. The kid looking for something to ride off on. Or a guy with a pick-up truck or van. I only carry (and use) a cheap lightweight cable lock. But I often wonder if my bike wouldn't have been just as safe without the lock. Most bikes I lock mine up beside... aren't locked at all. What do you guys use when parking a bike alone in front of StarBucks.
while doing errands never leave the bike away from your sight, otherwise take the bus or the underground and leave the bike at home, i have a MTB for commuting but i do use 2 different lock systems as it was suggested here, it save my bike once a couple of years ago, the thief cut only one of the chains i had and decided to go away hands empty ;) on your main road bike same advices but with an emphasis ! if you go to Starbucks after a ride sit on the terrace not more than 2 meters away from bike,

grindr82 said:
, I am working on getting my boss to allow me to keep it inside of our second break room...but in case that doesn't happen...Id like to protect it the best that I can..Any suggestions, opinions, or advice?
if you have a stubborn boss... good question, it depends on how attractive you are on the job market !

Originally Posted by vspa .
.........if you go to Starbucks after a ride sit on the terrace not more than 2 meters away from bike,

I do sit outside... often as not on a bench... that I share with random smokers. I heard from one of the smokers just the other day of a bike that was taken while its owner purchased coffee. The bike that was taken was NOT locked... as the cyclist thought he could just keep an eye on it. Someone... just jumped on the bike like he owned it.... and... apparently now he does.

There isn't anyway to protect a bicycle [or anything else] from being taken... if someone really wants it. I'd much rather a thief sneak away with my bike while I get coffee... than shoot me in the head and then take it (A local man was recently shot and killed for his high-end bicycle).

But (as a parent myself) I feel obligated to protect the troubled teenager from his own dim-witted ideas. I am hoping a decent-cheapie cable lock might deter a kid.

I picked up a top peak medium sized saddle bag that doesn't look too awful big. Yet I am sure it can handle a bigger cable and lock than what I use now.