Bike Locks Drive Me Mad

pipcart

Mar 19, 2007
Can anyone recommend a bike lock that is really easy to use? I’ve tried all types and my partner won’t cycle into the city with me because she finds locking her bike so annoying. I wonder how many other people feel the same and if it is stopping people using bikes as much?

Could you say a bit more about what specifically is annoying or hard to use about the locks you've tried so far? Weight? Keyhole design? That'll help us respond with useful ideas.

The general wisdom is that a decent U lock (e.g., OnGuard or Kryptonite brands, at least in the U.S.) for the frame and a beefy, braided cable for wheels are the minimum for any bike of substantial value, but a lot depends on where you live, where you park, etc. Locks are about discouragement, not prevention, of theft.

As for me, locks annoy me because they're three pounds of concession to the weaknesses in human nature...three pounds I have to lug around when I ride. :) But better to carry three pounds extra than be short a bike!

I found a cheap cable lock that I actually use without hassle for parking outside a shop for short periods. It is thin and light with integrated lock, long enough to fit around a tree, and straight not pre-coiled. Thin cable is OK as a deterrent to opportunist theft. I find pre-coiled are a pain to use, it is easy enough to coil a straight cable and stash it somewhere.
Cheers.

I Commute on one of my Bikes, I leave the lock locked to the Bike Rack when I go home to save carrying it to and from work... ;)