Bike locks

Where will you be parking it and for how long? I ask that because some places are higher risk then others, length of time is important because if your only going to be gone for 15 minutes no need to get real radical with the lock unless you park in high risk areas. College campus areas are high risk.

If your bike is expensive you may want to consider either buying a used "beater", or getting a Walmart bike and parking that instead. That is the best deterrent by the way.

Lock wise, if security is a big deal you should use two different type of locks thus requiring the crook to carry two different tools which they won't do and just move on to an easier bike. The first of the two should be a 8 inch Kryptonite New York Standard U bolt lock; the length is important so you can lock it up according to this picture on the right side about 2/3rds of the way down: http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/howtolock.html. That is the only way you should lock a bike up using a U bolt lock. The picture on the left shows them using two locks, I would rather someone lock up the bike like the pic on the right then use a armored cable lock to lock both wheels and frame to whatever. OnGuard Rottweiler 5025 is I think the thickest armored cable lock at 25mm thick, it's a brute.

Do not rely on any lock manufactures warranty for the theft of the bike because these warranties or insurance policies are all but impossible to get money from! Because they require to many conditions to be meant that 99.9% of the people that have a bike stolen can't met. They require a police report, no big deal unless the city doesn't do police reports on stolen bikes; they require pictures of the undisturbed crime scene showing the area, what the bike was locked to, the broken lock, etc; they require the broken lock; the original carton the lock came in with the UPC code attached; the lock receipt; appraisal of the bike that is less then 12 months old, and receipt for the bike. Then after they review all the information they then determine if you did the correct measures to lock your bike up securely...they determine, not you. So your best bet is to make sure you have renters or homeowners insurance. Actually like I said before, your best bet is to lock up a clunker.

This widely used style offers your best deterrent. The bulky locking mechanism resists hammers, chisels and the like.A bicycle lock is a physical security device used on a bicycle to prevent theft. It is generally used to fasten the bicycle to a bicycle stand or other immovable object.
Ski Helmets