Bike locks

Jock Fazed

May 7, 2012
I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can help me about bike locks? Having purchsed a new road bike a couple of days ago I expected to be able to insure it on our house insurance. Unfortunately, the value is above what house insurers (well mine anyway and others I have enquired about) will accept. So I have had to take out a separate insurance. The insurers insist that in order to cover the bike when unattended away from home I should have a a lock approved by 'Sold Secure' to their gold standard. All the locks I have been able to locate are quite large and very (like very) heavy. So it seems somewhat absurd to be expected to carry such a lock on a lightweight bike.. Can anty one advise of a lightweight lock to the gold standard as most of the locks listed are apparently intended for motorcycles? I should add I do not intend to leave the bike but there could be unforseen circumstances where this may be avoidable. Many thanks.

http://www.soldsecure.com/search?show_all=1

Looking at their catalog... they do have several options for bicycles. True... they are heavy... but the ABUS bicycle lock ([SIZE= 12px]Special hardened 13mm round shackle[/SIZE]) on page 44 of the PDF catalog should be very serviceable. I'd include a cable with that to (for the front wheel) as well. And don't forget a cable affixed to secure the bicycles saddle.

Here is a great little YouTube Video: How to Properly Lock Your Bicycle With a Bike Lock