Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Bike Maintenance -- fun with power tools.

Started by tcmedara · · Last activity · 4 posts · 395 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
27 June 2004
Last activity
27 June 2004
Original author
tcmedara
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
395
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Rounded out allen bolt, loose suspension linkage, pile of replacement parts,
    and no way to get there with standard bike tools. What's a home mechanic to
    do? Standing in my garage, [censored] and frustrated, I remembered the
    "reverse" drill bits I'd bought a few years ago for a renovation project.
    Yeah, that's the ticket!

    It all seemed reasonable until I found myself standing in front of the bike
    with power drill in hand. The thought of taking powered cutting tools to
    the suspension linkage on my bike seemed absurd. However, the red OEM
    loctite remmants, or whatever other force of nature, kept the main body of
    the screw firmly entrenched inside its counterpart. I'd had the bolt off
    before (and didn't put any more threadlock on), but this time there wasn't
    enough life left in the allen bolt to stand the torque and it was now
    rounded out beyond all return. Undaunted, I pressed ahead. I ended up
    having to drill out the center of the bolt and then to pop the head off with
    the left-handed bit. Luckily I'd picked up a full set of parts, not just a
    replacement bolt and had it all back together in 10 minutes. I'm gonna give
    it a day or so for the loctite to cure (*blue* this time) and give it a try
    tomorrow.

    I feel like I've passed into some new phase of DIY bike maintenance. The
    "used power tools and bike and got away with it club." Not something I want
    to have to do again. Yikes!

    Whaddya think Monique, would you trust me with your new Fisher?
    Bwahhahahahahahaha! Next stop -- the welder!

    Tom

  2. tcmedara said:

    Rounded out allen bolt, loose suspension linkage, pile of replacement
    parts, and no way to get there with standard bike tools. What's a
    home mechanic to do? Standing in my garage, [censored] and
    frustrated, I remembered the "reverse" drill bits I'd bought a few
    years ago for a renovation project. Yeah, that's the ticket!

    It all seemed reasonable until I found myself standing in front of
    the bike with power drill in hand. The thought of taking powered
    cutting tools to the suspension linkage on my bike seemed absurd.
    However, the red OEM loctite remmants, or whatever other force of
    nature, kept the main body of the screw firmly entrenched inside its
    counterpart. I'd had the bolt off before (and didn't put any more
    threadlock on), but this time there wasn't enough life left in the
    allen bolt to stand the torque and it was now rounded out beyond all
    return. Undaunted, I pressed ahead. I ended up having to drill out
    the center of the bolt and then to pop the head off with the
    left-handed bit. Luckily I'd picked up a full set of parts, not just
    a replacement bolt and had it all back together in 10 minutes. I'm
    gonna give it a day or so for the loctite to cure (*blue* this time)
    and give it a try tomorrow.

    I feel like I've passed into some new phase of DIY bike maintenance.
    The "used power tools and bike and got away with it club." Not
    something I want to have to do again. Yikes!

    Whaddya think Monique, would you trust me with your new Fisher?
    Bwahhahahahahahaha! Next stop -- the welder!

    As Miles and Michael will attest, it's a /VERY GOOD THING/ {tm} that I don't
    own a drill, Dremel, vise, or much else.

    Bill "amazing carnage with just a Park mini tool set" S.

  3. S o r n i said:


    As Miles and Michael will attest, it's a /VERY GOOD THING/ {tm} that I don't
    own a drill, Dremel, vise, or much else.

    Bill "amazing carnage with just a Park mini tool set" S.

    Yes, I will attest to that.

    miles

  4. On 2004-06-27, tcmedara penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Whaddya think Monique, would you trust me with your new Fisher?
    Bwahhahahahahahaha! Next stop -- the welder!

    Errrm ...

    As my dad would say, "Negatronically speaking."

    Glad to hear it seems to have worked for you, though!

    --
    monique

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.