Bike makes a strange rubbing sound only when pedaling hard?

husker3in4

Apr 26, 2014
I bought my son a used Mongoose Xr-75 as he had outgrown his 24" bike. It looked nice, when I test rode it though, it would make a rubbing sound, and even a vibration only when I stood up to pedal on it. When I sat on the seat and pedaled it was fine. I assumed it was because I was 210 lbs and bought the bike. My son tried it out yesterday and it still made the noise/vibration (but only when standing up to pedal) and he is only 140lbs.

Is there a way to fix this?

I had the same with a giant xtc3 It was the rear disc vibrating under heavy load, only way to fix it was to replace the giant discs with thicker Hope discs, been good ever since

I had the same with a Giant XTC 3 It was the rear disc vibrating under load, the only way to fix it was to replace the standard Giant discs with Hope discs, all been good since

Actually it turned out that the rear wheel was rubbing on the frame when it had force applied (like peddling hard). Looks like the guy who had it before I did changed the back tire (it looks new) and didnt put it back on properly. Problem solved!