Bike Messenger Wannabe

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by Bentley, May 27, 2004.

1. Bentley

Bentley New Member

Have any of you ever wondered what it would be like to be a bike messenger? Danger, low pay, no benefits....but at least you'd be on your bike everyday! Unless someone steals it. It will never happen with me since I don't live in a large city but I can at least dream about it.

Bentley

Tags:

2. kjellquist

kjellquist New Member

I knew I wasn't the only one. I would love to do it for a day or week. Like any fantasy I'm sure it's not as great as you may imagine, but still I'd like to know. Some days I like riding in some traffic and mixing it up. I get a small taste on my bike-commute days, but nothing like a Boston, DC, or NYC messenger of course.

Ever since I saw Quicksilver (Kevin Bacon) I wanted to give it a shot! I think the closest I'll ever get is a fixie commuter bike.

3. kleinrider

kleinrider New Member

me too.... The closest I'll probably ever get is a fixie as well. I would like to try it out. Of course, I sure the "real" messengers will think we're nuts, but that's OK.

4. jmitting

jmitting New Member

As I recall the staff turnover is such that youd be welcome to try it on. Do it in your holidays. Remind yourselves how unfit you really are. The last time I went back (20 years ago!) I was 24 and I thought I would die before the sun went down.

5. inkdwheels

inkdwheels New Member

I did it for a little while earlier this year. It was the best job i've ever had. Better than the Marine Corps, or being a helicopter mechaninc (current job). I got offered a job Paying over twice as much and i was in a position where i needed to save money. I still ride my fixie to work and i still hang out with my messenger friends. absoluely worth doing.