Bike mod 8 speed to 9

convert

Mar 4, 2004
Hey everyone

My spring project is to convert my Spesialize sirrus from an 8 speed to a 9 speed, the bike store tells me this is easy since I do not have to change my rear wheel.
So I was lucky enough to get from my wife for my b-day a 105 rear and front derailer, a 12-25 105 rear casset, and some beauty XT shifters (The bike store said I was the first guy in Canada to get a hold of these babys, true, I like to think so). So now I need a chain and away we go. Some tell me to go with a shram chain because they are more flexible and some tell me to stick to shimano. What do you think? Also is there anything I need to know to make this transition go as smooth as possible? Any insight is welcome.
Thanks in advance.

convert said:
Hey everyone

My spring project is to convert my Spesialize sirrus from an 8 speed to a 9 speed, the bike store tells me this is easy since I do not have to change my rear wheel.
So I was lucky enough to get from my wife for my b-day a 105 rear and front derailer, a 12-25 105 rear casset, and some beauty XT shifters (The bike store said I was the first guy in Canada to get a hold of these babys, true, I like to think so). So now I need a chain and away we go. Some tell me to go with a shram chain because they are more flexible and some tell me to stick to shimano. What do you think? Also is there anything I need to know to make this transition go as smooth as possible? Any insight is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Get a sram.It has a powerlink. Don't expect the XT front shifter to work with that 105 FD. Shimano does sell a R440 FD that will.

convert said:
Hey everyone

Thanks in advance.
SRAM chains are nice, because of the powerlink function and it's good to give some business to other manufactures. It's an easy swap overall. I know Shimano recommends going with a 9 speed inner chain ring as well, but I'm not 100% sure that's necessary. (Boudreaux, thoughts?).

boudreaux said:
Get a sram.It has a powerlink. Don't expect the XT front shifter to work with that 105 FD. Shimano does sell a R440 FD that will.
Would it be better to swap the front derailler to an XT then rather then the 105?

convert said:
Would it be better to swap the front derailler to an XT then rather then the 105?
Depends on the ring sizes. the R440 is for road rings.

PeterF said:
I know Shimano recommends going with a 9 speed inner chain ring as well, but I'm not 100% sure that's necessary. (Boudreaux, thoughts?).
Not......................