Bike models by country of origin?

Olasnah

Aug 6, 2004
I've seen lots of topics on recommended bikes to buy from all over the world, but never know where some of these are made. What are the top French or Italian bikes?

Olasnah said:
I've seen lots of topics on recommended bikes to buy from all over the world, but never know where some of these are made. What are the top French or Italian bikes?
There are so many manufacturers from all around the globe.....The U.S., France (Look, Vitus), Italy(Colnago, Ciocc, DeBernardi, Casati, Cinelli, etc. etc.) , Japan (Nishiki, Panasonic, Fuji, etc.) , Switzerland (BMC), Taiwan. Many of the "Top" manufacturers from these countries put out an excellent product. Once must establish a criteria on how one defines "TOP" In other words, are you looking at frame construction, componentry, or style? I prefer to look at the quality products from smaller manufacturers. My personal favorite is BMC, a smaller Swiss bike company who makes a high-quality product. Although they are not too well-known, their products exemplify Swiss know-how and precision. Their products are exquisite and well-crafted. Their website is www.bmc-racing.com .

Hope you find what you're looking for.

RL

Like with automobiles, defining where a bike is made ain't easy. Is a Taiwanese frame built up with Italian components in the US an American bike?

capwater said:
Like with automobiles, defining where a bike is made ain't easy. Is a Taiwanese frame built up with Italian components in the US an American bike?
Yes, and let's not forget that there are many frames out there with an Italian ame to it but if you look at the sticker, it has been outsourced to some firm in Taiwan. Even Bianchi has some of the frames manufactured abroad (Japan). Heck, my bike is a Quattro Assi built up with Italian and American components. It came from an American company based in Texas, but the frame was assembeld in Taiwan....That's pretty routine these days.

lohsnest said:
Yes, and let's not forget that there are many frames out there with an Italian ame to it but if you look at the sticker, it has been outsourced to some firm in Taiwan. Even Bianchi has some of the frames manufactured abroad (Japan). Heck, my bike is a Quattro Assi built up with Italian and American components. It came from an American company based in Texas, but the frame was assembeld in Taiwan....That's pretty routine these days.
Bianci has been out of Japan for a loooooong time.

lohsnest said:
There are so many manufacturers from all around the globe.....The U.S., France (Look, Vitus), Italy(Colnago, Ciocc, DeBernardi, Casati, Cinelli, etc. etc.) , Japan (Nishiki, Panasonic, Fuji, etc.) , Switzerland (BMC), Taiwan. Many of the "Top" manufacturers from these countries put out an excellent product. Once must establish a criteria on how one defines "TOP" In other words, are you looking at frame construction, componentry, or style? I prefer to look at the quality products from smaller manufacturers. My personal favorite is BMC, a smaller Swiss bike company who makes a high-quality product. Although they are not too well-known, their products exemplify Swiss know-how and precision. Their products are exquisite and well-crafted. Their website is www.bmc-racing.com .

Hope you find what you're looking for.

RL
The listed stuff from Japan is all ancient history, and Colnagos are made in China.

boudreaux said:
The listed stuff from Japan is all ancient history, and Colnagos are made in China.
Are there any PURE Italian bikes left out there? I mean 100%....... All of the carbon stuff, I believe, is now made in Taiwan.

Orbea is a spaniard bike from the basque territory of Spain. Only basque riders get to ride on the Euskaltel Euskadi team.