Bike newbie - commuter question

joeb

Jun 20, 2006
I will be riding about 1 1/2 miles each way to school in Philadelphia next year on a flat city road. I know absolutely nothing about bikes, aside from the 30 minutes or so I've spent reading this forum (which is really informative!). I doubt that I be doing much riding outside of commuting to/from school with a backpack. I expect that I'll be riding even in wet/icy conditions. Should I, for that reason, go with a hybrid or mtb? Or should I stick with a road bike? Any recommendations on bikes? I'm about 5'9" with a 30" inseam and don't want to spend more than $750 or so, willing to buy used.

Thank you very much in advance!

If that is the only time you ride the bike, don't spend $700. I would worry about theft at a college and 1.5 miles is not very far. Get an old mtn bike at a thrift store with no shocks and spend a little money on new slick tires, fenders and a tune up. Don't forget a really good lock.

I commute 7-10 miles a day and really like my rack and panniers. That way your back does not get sweaty.

joeb said:
I will be riding about 1 1/2 miles each way to school in Philadelphia next year on a flat city road. I know absolutely nothing about bikes, aside from the 30 minutes or so I've spent reading this forum (which is really informative!). I doubt that I be doing much riding outside of commuting to/from school with a backpack. I expect that I'll be riding even in wet/icy conditions. Should I, for that reason, go with a hybrid or mtb? Or should I stick with a road bike? Any recommendations on bikes? I'm about 5'9" with a 30" inseam and don't want to spend more than $750 or so, willing to buy used.

Thank you very much in advance!
Quite frankly, I'd walk that distance (about 25 mins) and get a bike for longer rides at week-ends.