Bike night on BBC 4 tonight

gavin

Guest
"Philip Egan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/index.shtml?day=today&service_id=4544

> 8:30 pm A Day Out
> Alan Bennett's first television play showing as part of Cycling Night,
> follows a trip to Fountains Abbey by a Halifax cycling club just before

the
> First World War. Directed by Stephen Frears. [b&w]
>
> 9:20 pm A Sunday in Hell: Storyville
> As part of Cycling Night, one of the best cycling films ever made,

focusing
> on the 1976 Paris-Roubaix single day bike race. 'Hell' refers to the

cobbled
> farm tracks of northern France.
>
> 11:05 pm Belleville Rendezvous
> As part of Cycling Night, this Oscar-nominated animation about Madame
> Souza's determination to rescue her cyclist grandson from kidnappers who
> have nabbed him during the Tour de France. [2003]
>
> 12:20 am A Sunday in Hell: Storyville
> As part of Cycling Night, one of the best cycling films ever made,

focusing
> on the 1976 Paris-Roubaix single day bike race. 'Hell' refers to the

cobbled
> farm tracks of northern France.

Sounds great - haven't got BBC4 though :)

JohnB wrote:

> gavin wrote:
>
>>"Philip Egan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/index.shtml?day=today&service_id=4544

>>Sounds great - haven't got BBC4 though :)

> Agreed - never mind no BBC4, we don't have a telly here :))))

No worries. Sendit.com appear to have it in stock as a DVD, GBP 19.99.
Get the PC out ;-)

I got to see this on DVD at a friend's place 3 months ago. Probably
because he owns a Bianchi and Magnus Bäckstedt won the event this year ;-)

Great to see the vintage bikes, jerseys, good footage and commentary.

Worth a look, definitely.

/Robert (Gothenburg)

gavin popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
>>Sounds great - haven't got BBC4 though :)

to which soup helpfully suggested:
> Will your connectionn live up to it ?
> Radio 4 is available at:-
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4.shtml?fm

Except that the bike night is on BBC4 (a digital TV channel), not BBC
Radio 4 (a radio station).

Danny Colyer popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
and said
> gavin popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
> said
> > > Sounds great - haven't got BBC4 though :)

> to which soup helpfully suggested:
> > Will your connectionn live up to it ?
> > Radio 4 is available at:-
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4.shtml?fm

> Except that the bike night is on BBC4 (a digital TV channel), not BBC
> Radio 4 (a radio station).

Oopps, my bad.

--
yours S

"Philip Egan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/index.shtml?day=today&service_id=4544
>
> 11:05 pm Belleville Rendezvous
> As part of Cycling Night, this Oscar-nominated animation about Madame
> Souza's determination to rescue her cyclist grandson from kidnappers who
> have nabbed him during the Tour de France. [2003]
>
> 12:20 am A Sunday in Hell: Storyville
> As part of Cycling Night, one of the best cycling films ever made,
> focusing
> on the 1976 Paris-Roubaix single day bike race. 'Hell' refers to the
> cobbled
> farm tracks of northern France.

Missed the first 20 mins of belleville. Is it actually any good? Watching it
now ... little too arty for me maybe .. will continue to tuck into my burger
and chips though ...

---

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Philip Egan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/index.shtml?day=today&service_id=4544
>>
>> 11:05 pm Belleville Rendezvous
>> As part of Cycling Night, this Oscar-nominated animation about Madame
>> Souza's determination to rescue her cyclist grandson from kidnappers who
>> have nabbed him during the Tour de France. [2003]
>>
>> 12:20 am A Sunday in Hell: Storyville
>> As part of Cycling Night, one of the best cycling films ever made,
>> focusing
>> on the 1976 Paris-Roubaix single day bike race. 'Hell' refers to the
>> cobbled
>> farm tracks of northern France.
>>

> Missed the first 20 mins of belleville. Is it actually any good? Watching
> it now ... little too arty for me maybe .. will continue to tuck into my
> burger and chips though ...

Ahhh .. now I get it .. it's so true ;)

---

elyob wrote:

> "Philip Egan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/index.shtml?day=today&service_id=4544
>>
>> 11:05 pm Belleville Rendezvous
>>As part of Cycling Night, this Oscar-nominated animation about Madame
>>Souza's determination to rescue her cyclist grandson from kidnappers who
>>have nabbed him during the Tour de France. [2003]
>>
>> 12:20 am A Sunday in Hell: Storyville
>>As part of Cycling Night, one of the best cycling films ever made,
>>focusing
>>on the 1976 Paris-Roubaix single day bike race. 'Hell' refers to the
>>cobbled
>>farm tracks of northern France.
>>

> Missed the first 20 mins of belleville. Is it actually any good? Watching it
> now ... little too arty for me maybe .. will continue to tuck into my burger
> and chips though ...
>

> ---

Fantastic. Not a lot of dialogue, but doesn't need it. Really needs
watching from the start. I'm sure it'll be repeated again at some point!

--

Velvet

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Fantastic. Not a lot of dialogue, but doesn't need it. Really needs
> watching from the start. I'm sure it'll be repeated again at some point!

Loved it .. missed it so many times before, missed first 20 mins though.
Glued to rest. Closing credit music is cool too ... Think it's a must to
buy and try and convince others to watch ;)

19.99 though ... can't find it cheaper anywhere .. wait a sec ... sendit.com
.... 14.99 .. fiver off.

---

elyob wrote:
> Missed the first 20 mins of belleville. Is it actually any good? Watching it
> now ... little too arty for me maybe .. will continue to tuck into my burger
> and chips though ...

It's superb. You really need to watch it from the start because the
opening sequence is one of the best bits. I've got the DVD and have
watched the whole film many times.

I really enjoyed A Sunday In Hell too - very atmospheric. It uses
slience to great effect, which heightens the effect when the sound kicks
in. What a fantastic race it was too. And I loved the wonderfully serene
commentary - it reminded me of the coverage of the sumo wrestling when
it was on Channel 4.

d.

"Philip Egan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:v9wPc.594

> 12:20 am A Sunday in Hell: Storyville
> As part of Cycling Night, one of the best cycling films ever made,

focusing
> on the 1976 Paris-Roubaix single day bike race. 'Hell' refers to the

cobbled
> farm tracks of northern France.

After watching that I might take my road bike on gravel tracks - not! Nice
to see Eddy Merckx tinkering with his bike every half an hour though.
--
Simon M.

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 01:32, elyob wrote:
> Closing credit music is cool too ...

Did you catch the little joke at the very end?

Is there an available copy of "A day out" or is the ir an intention to show it again